Buzzing hair with clippers for the first time after HT, will it show?

It’s been 7 months since I had HT surgery. Up until now I’ve only trimmed my hair with scissors. But I wanna try buzzing it with scissors now that summer is coming. But I’m worried about the transplant area looking patchy with the hair so short. Am I being paranoid or is it likely to look different at this stage?

It would be helpful if you show us some pictures of your current status. I saw some results which looked very good with a buzz cut but also some patchy results. 

Because it's been 7 months post-op, I think it will look fine...but you may want to start using a number 2 guide to see how everything looks...then you will know if you can go shorter.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I bit the bullet and buzzed it down to guard number 2. From my perspective, it really shows that I had HT done as the transplant area seems to have a different texture and density. But it also could be my paranoia. Please be straight on your opinion. The hair will grow, so it’s not a tragedy if right now it doesn’t look good. I just wanna know if I can trust my eyes or not.

I don’t think the photo really captures it, but IMO all the contour line from the front looks much more thicker than the “inside” part.

D56AB7D1-668B-421F-8542-97B4E4697AA0.jpeg

63B4B6DC-7818-4FBB-B204-82B7A1E6187D.jpeg

50C0B56F-4568-41A1-8B92-78796DA79D4E.jpeg

8E5E4389-C73B-4F68-96BB-E398D235A012.jpeg

65D18C59-47DE-4F31-B71E-80A12E4E3896.jpeg

8F463289-3DB0-4660-8BB5-089B84FB6C4D.jpeg

99.9% of people will not have a clue. Only an experienced ht veteran or doctor would have cause to suspect anything. Don't stress about it, it looks great.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

2 minutes ago, clerksband said:

Honestly, when I move and with natural light I see it very differently and jarringly, and not so much in these photos. But it also might be that I'm not objective.

I get what you mean but you've got to remember that what we obsess about in the mirror, other people just aren't going to notice unless it is glaringly obvious. I can just about see the contrast you're talking about but I'd be surprised if anyone would pick up on it or think there's anything strange about it.

The only thing I can think is that perhaps you could cut the front even shorter as it looks like it may be slightly longer than the hair behind and could help balance things out.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

6 minutes ago, Pete-from-Farjo said:

I get what you mean but you've got to remember that what we obsess about in the mirror, other people just aren't going to notice unless it is glaringly obvious. I can just about see the contrast you're talking about but I'd be surprised if anyone would pick up on it or think there's anything strange about it.

The only thing I can think is that perhaps you could cut the front even shorter as it looks like it may be slightly longer than the hair behind and could help balance things out.

Appreciate the help, but I don't want to tamper much with different lengths. I'll let it grow for now and try again for a buzzcut in a few months.

2 minutes ago, munich said:

I agree with pete.. Could you please show some pictures outside in daylight. I'm thinking about a buzz cut too 

Tomorrow at midday I'll try to shoot a few more with sunlight.

• Thanks 1

The density is higher in the frontal zone and also keep in mind that the donor hair usually has more pigmentation than hair that is in a diffusing state.  In addition the degree of caliber is higher with the new grafts.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

It is the actual measure of thickness of each hair shaft...hair shaft diameter.

Gillenator

1 minute ago, gillenator said:

It is the actual measure of thickness of each hair shaft...hair shaft diameter.

Thank's! I was worried that that would have been double-grafts or something like that. So the hairs from the donor area are thicker, I didn't know that.

I'd be curious from someone that has had HT for more than a year and currently buzzes his hair would post photos and see how it looks. 

If you look in the Results posted by Patients section, you will see lots of examples.

Gillenator