Dr. Diep's office resolved my concerns

I had a 4,000 graft FUT procedure with Dr. Diep in April, 2014 - just over 5 years ago. Generally speaking, I am pleased with the result of the procedure itself. However, the the scar I was left with was very wide, and hair never regrew in a fairly large area around the scar on both sides of my head - about 2 inches wide and 0.5-0.75 inches vertically.  I have since sought the opinion of other hair surgeons who have said this is not a typical result, but I didn't think much of it, and at my one-year follow-up Dr. Diep said that he could fill in the area with an FUE into the scar procedure and I could schedule it at my convenience.

Scheduling that follow-up FUE procedure has been very difficult. It has happened three separate times that I have been told a date is mine, only to have them come back the next day to say the date was no longer available, with no explanation. Dr. Diep's office has consistently given me conflicting information, ignored emails, and not returned phone calls. 

I first emailed to inquire about the FUE into scar procedure on January 29, and was told that the first available consultation via FaceTime wasn't until April 2nd, which I took. Dr. Diep explained the options for the scar, quoted me $2,500 to fill it in via FUE.  I emailed Dr. Diep's office on April 29th to schedule a date for the procedure. After some back and forth, on May 13 at I received an email saying that July 19, August 8, or December 16 were available, and I should reply via email or call back to book one of those. I replied 38 minutes later to the email to say that I would take July 19. Monica from his office also called me around the same time I received their email, presumably to take down my credit card, but I was at lunch so missed the call. I called back 27 minutes later, and was told that Monica was on the phone but would call me back as soon as she was off. So, within one hour, I had been offered a date, accepted that date via email, and called his office to confirm and was told I would be called right back. I never got a call back, and the next day in the afternoon I got an email saying the date I had chosen was booked and I needed to pick a new one.

I sent an email expressing frustration with the situation, and received a reply from Allison at his office that June 3rd was now available. June 3rd had never been mentioned as an option before. I replied to the email that if anything was available in July it would be slightly preferable, but if not then I would absolutely take June 3rd. I didn't hear back the rest of the day, and then followed up the next day to confirm I was set and see if they needed to get on the phone. The day after that, I got an email saying nothing more than "The next date is: October 3, 2019."

I replied again to Allison to express frustration, but say that I would take October 3rd if that was all that's available. I sent this email on May 17th, and have still haven't gotten a reply. I called the office four days later, on 5/21, and asked to speak to Allison to confirm the October 3rd date. Allison told me that October 3rd was no longer available, and there was nothing available for the remainder of the year, and I could be put on a wait list in case someone canceled. When I said that this was the third time I had been given a date, and then told it was unavailable right after, she told me that I should have called to confirm. When I pointed out that I had called to confirm the July 19 date, and then never was called back by Monica, she didn't really have an answer. I also pointed out that in their emails that offer dates, it says "you can either email me or give me a call" to confirm. 

***Update*** after I initially posted this, Dr. Diep's office got in touch with me and the situation was resolved and I was able to schedule a date for the scar revision procedure. I'm very appreciative of their quick response and their willingness to find time for me, and am satisfied with the outcome.

Edited by wamo1988
edited per members request

I’m sorry to hear about your experience and being given the runaround. Hopefully this thread will get the attention of the mods and diep can get back to you. Have you also checked with any other surgeons to see how much they can charge you for this work and how many grafts would be required?

I would find a different clinic. We all know hair transplant surgery is  elective and   altruism is in short supply in this business, but some Docs/Clinics come across as more money grabbing than others.  

Edited by Mick50

• Administrators

I'm sorry to hear about your experience. Since Dr. Diep is a recommended surgeon, please private message me your name so I can reach out to Dr. Diep for a response and please authorize him to respond publicly. Our goal is to maintain an equal and fair environment for both patients and surgeons.

Best wishes

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Hi man, sorry about your situation.

If this was happening to me I would seek out a different surgeon (Konior or H & W), I wouldn’t want to give any more money to a clinic if I’m receiving bad customer/patient service. 

Personally, I wouldn't be returning for anymore work from a doctor who left me with a scar like that.  Why not consult with H&W?  Reasonable wait times and the favorable exchange rate is an added bonus.

• Administrators

I have reached out to Dr. Diep, he will be responding shortly. Honestly, the scarring can be improved. Unfortunately, stretched scars do occur even with the best surgeons. Dr. Diep provides his patients with his personal number so you can text him. I’m a former patient myself and while, yes he’s extremely busy. He truly does care about his patients.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Thanks Melvin. Also just to be clear, the reason for this post really didn't have to do with the scar itself. I've had it for 4+ years and never really been bothered by it. As I said in the initial post, I am generally happy with the result of the surgery, and I've even suggested Dr. Diep to a friend who asked.  However, I always thought that it would not be a problem to have it filled in when the time came. The difficulty with scheduling the follow-up and my experience with his office is the reason for this post, not his work itself.

I’d tend to agree with most of the responses on this thread. I’d also consider looking into a scar revision surgery with someone like konior or Cooley. I’d consult and see what they say regarding how much of the wide scar is due to surgical issues vs your physiology. Good luck 

2 hours ago, hockeyman said:

Personally, I wouldn't be returning for anymore work from a doctor who left me with a scar like that.  Why not consult with H&W?  Reasonable wait times and the favorable exchange rate is an added bonus.

What is the favorable exchange rate your talking about ?

1 hour ago, hockeyman said:

I was referring to our sh$@$y Canadian dollar.  I'm assuming Wamo is an American.

Are you saying that H&W's quoted prices are in Canadian dollars and people living in the US can take advantage of the exchange rate ?

If yes where you getting that info from?

50 minutes ago, Markee said:

Are you saying that H&W's quoted prices are in Canadian dollars and people living in the US can take advantage of the exchange rate ?

If yes where you getting that info from?

I believe that is the case for Dr. Rahal, but not for H&W. But do check with the clinics, as pricing policy may have changed in the respective clinics. 

Edited by delancey

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

1 hour ago, delancey said:

I believe that is the case for Dr. Rahal, but not for H&W. But do check with the clinics, as pricing policy may have changed in the respective clinics. 

Exactly last time I checked was about a year a go with both Rahal and H&W. Rahal said his quoted prices are in the Canadin dollar and that I definitely can take advantage of the exchange rate H&W said his are not and what you see is what you get .

I was hoping maybe something may of changed with H&W so if anyone heard anything different please let us know 

I'd love to consider them but there prices are over the top for me and almost double what Rahal charges when you factor in the exchange rate 

Edited by Markee
  • Like 1

On 6/4/2019 at 7:34 PM, wamo1988 said:

Thanks Melvin. Also just to be clear, the reason for this post really didn't have to do with the scar itself. I've had it for 4+ years and never really been bothered by it. As I said in the initial post, I am generally happy with the result of the surgery, and I've even suggested Dr. Diep to a friend who asked.  However, I always thought that it would not be a problem to have it filled in when the time came. The difficulty with scheduling the follow-up and my experience with his office is the reason for this post, not his work itself.

It took me 5 months to get an appointment and I went in for a full 2k graft FUE.  So, I think they are just slammed.

• Administrators
On 6/4/2019 at 7:34 PM, wamo1988 said:

I did provide Dr. Diep with your information, so I believe he may be reaching out to you directly.

View my thread

Markee, I just assumed the prices on the H&W website were in Canadian dollars, and, that Americans would enjoy a favourable exchange rate.  Looks like I was mistaken.  Sorry for the confusion.

• Like 1

Just wanted to provide an update to this post, I spoke to Dr. Diep's office today and this was resolved in a satisfactory manner and I now have a date for the scar revision procedure. I am very appreciative of their quick response and helping to get this resolved.

Edited by wamo1988

Just wanted to provide an update to this post, I spoke to Dr. Diep's office today and this was resolved in a satisfactory manner and I now have a date for the scar revision procedure. I am very appreciative of their quick response and helping to get this resolved.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Administrators

Glad to hear Dr. Diep is sticking by his patients. I knew he would he's a great guy tell him I said hi 🙂

View my thread