Is the Dermastamp More Effective Than The Dermaroller For Hair Loss?

• Administrators

I know some of you guys have heard about dermarolling, but have any of you tried the dermastamp? It is supposedly more effective, but I would love to hear the communities thoughts and input.

Is The Dermastamp More Effective Than The Dermaroller For Hair Loss?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I have used a roller, a stamp, and a pen which is basically a motorized stamp. While I believe they are all effective, I think the pen is the superior option.

1. If you're rolling or stamping it is hard to be consistent with your pressure. A pen takes that and a decent chunk of the physical labor out of the equation.

2. Stamping, with a pen or a regular dermastamp, is less likely to snag and pull out existing hair compared to a roller. Other than accidentally pulling out some hairs, this also makes it more frustrating to go over your scalp in areas with more hair.

3. Theoretically the stamp may be performing the same micro wounding with less risk of tearing, which can cause damage to the tissue and hurt your follicles. This is highly variable on the individual and their technique, but I would rather be safe than sorry.

And for what it is worth I think my pen hurts way less than the roller did and takes me about half as much time.

Edited by Mycroft

I am somewhat surprised we have not heard more feedback on the pen.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Great article Melvin.

I purchased a Derma Pen recently after seeing some impressive  “results” on the tressless reddit page and have just started microneedling myself, hoping to better fill-in my mid/crown area. After a couple uses, already I see some improvement.

The pen is great I gotta say, much better and more efficient than the roller (I’ve used the cheap roller a couple years ago but not really consistently.

Edited by CosmoKramer

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/31/2019 at 10:29 PM, CosmoKramer said:

Great article Melvin.

I purchased a Derma Pen recently after seeing some impressive  “results” on the tressless reddit page and have just started microneedling myself, hoping to better fill-in my mid/crown area. After a couple uses, already I see some improvement.

The pen is great I gotta say, much better and more efficient than the roller (I’ve used the cheap roller a couple years ago but not really consistently.

Any further progress with the pen? How often do you use it?

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, gbhscot said:

How long after a transplant should we wait to get back to Dermarolling? I was getting some regrowth from it before my HT, would like ot get back to it.

100% a situation where you need to ask your doctor. Always follow their post operative instructions to the letter.