Dr. Bloxham: 2,500 Graft FUT | 12 Months Post-Op | Feller & Bloxham Medical, NY, NYC, Long Island

Hi Everyone, 

Today I wanted to share another 2,500 graft FUT case. The patient is a Spanish male in his late 30's with pretty advanced and diffuse hair loss. He has been on finasteride for 5 years but continued to see a steady progression of loss. He came to us with the goal of densely rebuilding the frontal half of the scalp and strategically working into the mid-scalp. He plans to do another procedure to address the back up the road, but the front was the priority and he believed he could "manage" the back much better with transplants in the middle and front (and I think the way he is styling his hair as viewed in the "top down" shot shows that this worked quite well). We tackled this using 2,500 grafts via the FUT technique; he came back for a follow-up 12 months later and was very pleased with the results -- as were we. 

Below are some before and after comparisons and a video. As usual, I recommend that everyone watch the detailed video which features comb-through (wet and dry) footage of the result and his incision line (strip scar) at 12 months post-op. 

21019485_05816281comp.thumb.jpg.26f03f5a7fc0b5f711c5cdfb244dbb0e.jpg595064709_05866285comp.thumb.jpg.a454a7d772e824db04e11dfc923d5ea9.jpg756366521_05916290comp.thumb.jpg.8e27b8a29a85cac24963a43ffa79f352.jpg1036820310_05976294comp.thumb.jpg.1526abdc33d46630c9f27fe3b7250732.jpg

0598 6295 comp.jpg

Look forward to the discussion. 

Dr. Blake Bloxham 

Feller & Bloxham Medical, PC 

Edited by Dr Blake Bloxham

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Nice choice of graft placement, his hairline is looking a lot better and the transition to the thinner area in back is very natural. How was the patient’s hair caliber? I’ve heard that Spanish hair is often thick and coarse 

nice transformation! i noticed the front of the hairline doesn’t look very uniform, not in a bad way. you can only really notice when you pull the hair back. any idea as to why it looks like that? was there still some existing hair? some grafts not take? etc

15 hours ago, RecessionProof said:

Nice choice of graft placement, his hairline is looking a lot better and the transition to the thinner area in back is very natural. How was the patient’s hair caliber? I’ve heard that Spanish hair is often thick and coarse 

Thank you for the kind words. 

You are correct that Spanish patients typically have amazing hair characteristics. Dark, coarse, and wavy, but still typically look natural in the hairline. The best all around in my opinion. His were thicker and coarser than the average patient, but I have seen much heartier (like rope!) on other Spanish patients. So good characteristics all around. 

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Just now, hairlossPA said:

nice transformation! i noticed the front of the hairline doesn’t look very uniform, not in a bad way. you can only really notice when you pull the hair back. any idea as to why it looks like that? was there still some existing hair? some grafts not take? etc

Thank you. 

Great eye! What you are seeing is the remnants of his native hair in front of the new transplanted hairline. I always like to do this when possible. When you rebuild a transplanted hairline behind native hairs, you get two things: 1) the benefit of the native hairs which are more irregular and finer and create an even more natural result in the front; 2) these can safely fall out without affecting the overall aesthetics of the front because we rebuilt a complete hairline behind it. 

He will eventually lose these hairs and the hairline will look more uniform. However, I love taking advantage of these when I can. As far as the yield goes, he seemed to do great (not unsurprising at all for FUT) and everything grew uniformly.  

• Thanks 1

I agree that the transition from front to back is very well handled. Great cosmetic improvement while the patient weighs his options on any possible work further back on his scalp.

27 minutes ago, Mycroft said:

I agree that the transition from front to back is very well handled. Great cosmetic improvement while the patient weighs his options on any possible work further back on his scalp.

Thank you. This plan is a very common one at our office and I think a very good one. I'm glad I was able to show a patient who utilized this approach successfully. I will definitely update the community if and when he does come back for the crown. 

• Like 1