Workouts after FUT

What kind of workouts can we do after having FUT?

I know the general consensus is to avoid heavy weights for about 1-2 months, but what about before then?

What specific exercises can we do to stay in shape? For example: definitely not bench presses, but what about barbell curls?

Edited by mephesto

Mephesto, 

Clinic recommendations vary wildly when it comes to working out post FUT. While I have my own opinions on this as well, I think the best advice is the one given specifically to you from the clinic. Follow it as closely as possible. 

Having said that ... 

Most of the work-outs where people worry about stretching involve flexion of the neck or a lot of contraction from the large muscle groups which attach near or around the base of the skull -- namely the "traps" and the long spinous muscles. Exercises that will specifically flex the neck are activities like crunches; activities which may activate the muscles attached to base of the skull would be things like shoulder shrugs, trap lifts, possibly rows, and anything which may target those long spinous muscles (the "superman" position you see in a lot of work-out videos comes to mind). 

I will ask Dr. Lindsey to comment here as well. He is both an FUT master and a big weight lifter! 

• Like 1

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

1 hour ago, Dr Blake Bloxham said:

Mephesto, 

Clinic recommendations vary wildly when it comes to working out post FUT. While I have my own opinions on this as well, I think the best advice is the one given specifically to you from the clinic. Follow it as closely as possible. 

Having said that ... 

Most of the work-outs where people worry about stretching involve flexion of the neck or a lot of contraction from the large muscle groups which attach near or around the base of the skull -- namely the "traps" and the long spinous muscles. Exercises that will specifically flex the neck are activities like crunches; activities which may activate the muscles attached to base of the skull would be things like shoulder shrugs, trap lifts, possibly rows, and anything which may target those long spinous muscles (the "superman" position you see in a lot of work-out videos comes to mind). 

I will ask Dr. Lindsey to comment here as well. He is both an FUT master and a big weight lifter! 

Thanks Dr. Bloxham! I'm an avid gym goer so it would be awesome to know what kinds of exercises to do. I think other people would benefit greatly as well.

I was told 6 months by my clinic. I went back after 5.5 months. I was told to go light. On the first day I did squats, 5x5, at 40kg then overhead press 25kg and deadlift 60kg and then parallel dips with just my bodyweight. No problem. The next day I went back and did 5x5 again: squats 42.5kg, chin ups, bench press 35kg and bent over row 35kg. My donor area ached quite a bit. I followed this adding 2.5kg to everything except 5kg for the deadlift each time I did the exercise. It has been two weeks and the bit of my incision/scar that was most tight was a little sore yesterday. Those are not even big weights.

@Dr Blake Bloxham - you said you have your own opinions on this, what are they? I see professional sports stars getting hair transplants all the time and they have to do heavy exercise everyday as part of their jobs. They probably get them done at the start of the off season for recovery time but that is probably only 6-8 weeks (depending on the sport) and some of those have great scars (look at Theo Walcott from the Premier League - pencil line thin)

13 hours ago, TrixGlendevon said:

I was told 6 months by my clinic. I went back after 5.5 months. I was told to go light. On the first day I did squats, 5x5, at 40kg then overhead press 25kg and deadlift 60kg and then parallel dips with just my bodyweight. No problem. The next day I went back and did 5x5 again: squats 42.5kg, chin ups, bench press 35kg and bent over row 35kg. My donor area ached quite a bit. I followed this adding 2.5kg to everything except 5kg for the deadlift each time I did the exercise. It has been two weeks and the bit of my incision/scar that was most tight was a little sore yesterday. Those are not even big weights. 

Is that 6 months of no lifting at all?

My doc said I can be back in the gym after 3 weeks with light weights but that I had to be careful for 8 weeks.

13 hours ago, TrixGlendevon said:

@Dr Blake Bloxham - you said you have your own opinions on this, what are they? I see professional sports stars getting hair transplants all the time and they have to do heavy exercise everyday as part of their jobs. They probably get them done at the start of the off season for recovery time but that is probably only 6-8 weeks (depending on the sport) and some of those have great scars (look at Theo Walcott from the Premier League - pencil line thin)

I think we are in the minority here and, again, I must express that you should follow your clinic's own instructions to the letter; however, we allow regular weight lifting once the staples are removed starting day 10-14. I have done FUT on many athletes, weight lifters, fitness models, etc, and they all resumed at this point. I have not noticed a difference in scar quality compared to the guys who do not work out at all. Closure of the excised area is very important; don't get me wrong here. However, a lot of the way a scar heals is simple physiology. Some people could likely do crunches non-stop or "head bang" at a metal concert for a month straight and still heal with that undetectable "pencil line," while others may sit perfectly still for months and still heal with a millimeter or two more stretch -- more of a "marker line," if you will. Everything in this range is still normal healing and easily hidden with any reasonable amount of hair; I tell my guys they can typically go down to a #3 on the buzzer. 

• Thanks 1

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.