Dr Erkan Demirsoy August 2016 - Bad results

Hi,

I did my operation i  August 2016 and which was a decision that truly changed my life to the better. After discussion with Demirsoy, he recommended 3000 grafts and ensured me it was enough to get my crown completly filled.

3 years has now passed and I am not supersatisfied with the results. It seems like some areas were neglected and had that impression almost immediatley after the surgery.

I wish I had gone with a more experienced surgeon and will be more careful with research next time.

Before operation:

3F94644D-31CC-48B2-83D4-95961967F880.thumb.jpeg.c78823c110295b4dceb1e5f7504c9714.jpeg

1 year update401BF68A-C8DF-44F4-87A3-BA1E879D4773.thumb.jpeg.6382d768a4eae255551f3b1dfe9e8031.jpeg

2 years:

AB219FBF-838D-45A3-8BA1-F361049854E8.thumb.jpeg.89d20938745b7bac7117cbeffb5fb954.jpeg

3 years 

DB795C7F-3D48-4C3F-A13C-F5371DE9041F.thumb.jpeg.dda54155c02542423031e4d05bed7eaf.jpeg 

Edited by jonathande
Updated info

1 hour ago, jj51702 said:

This is the first I’m hearing of a dissatisfied demirsoy patient. Have you’re reached out there and what was there response?

There are a couple of more but yes, if you are dissatisfied is not likely that you share and just like hairloss, a bad result is something you dont want to think of. Probably a way big number but who are not to eager to share. Took me also 3 years to share after all. However, altough I felt the the graft were misplaced only few days after, I wanted to give an honest opinion if posted online and therefor wanted to give it some time. I have been inte contact with demirsoy assistant for 1 year ago, he was claiming it was all about hair loss but as you can see , it was actually big bald spots already from the beginning. Apprently his nurses may not have had the focus during my surgery or graft died due to bad processes. The learning from this is that u get what you pay for, but if I had the money, is not worth to save even 50% of cost from going to a more reputable surgeon with consistent results. 

5 hours ago, jonathande said:

Transplanted hair should not be sensibel to hairloss. But yes, I am on propecia and minoxidil once a day.

Yes, transplanted hair can be susceptible to hormonal/mpb hair loss over time, even most all HT surgeons will tell you you are likely to loose around 10% of the transplanted hair.

In all honestly, it doesn’t look that bad as it looks like the majority of the transplanted hairs have remained and that your native hair continued to fall out even with you taking Finasteride (it’s not guaranteed to work on everyone) judging by your photos. Also, if you did get 3k grafts just in your crown its also likely that many didn’t survive as it’s common for the crown to be stubborn with graft whether it be done by a top surgeon or a cheap one.

Do you have any photos directly post procedure to show how the grafts look on your scalp? Would be good to see.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jonathande said:

There are a couple of more but yes, if you are dissatisfied is not likely that you share and just like hairloss, a bad result is something you dont want to think of. Probably a way big number but who are not to eager to share. Took me also 3 years to share after all. However, altough I felt the the graft were misplaced only few days after, I wanted to give an honest opinion if posted online and therefor wanted to give it some time. I have been inte contact with demirsoy assistant for 1 year ago, he was claiming it was all about hair loss but as you can see , it was actually big bald spots already from the beginning. Apprently his nurses may not have had the focus during my surgery or graft died due to bad processes. The learning from this is that u get what you pay for, but if I had the money, is not worth to save even 50% of cost from going to a more reputable surgeon with consistent results. 

Do you have immediate post op pics to show the graft placement issue you’re talking about?

• 2 months later...
On 5/30/2019 at 8:48 AM, jj51702 said:

Do you have immediate post op pics to show the graft placement issue you’re talking about?

Sadly not as I lost my phone with all photos without back up. Yes, bummer. 

Just be careful with the choice of doctor. I will do a new hair transplant but will do my due diligence this time.

2 hours ago, jonathande said:

Sadly not as I lost my phone with all photos without back up. Yes, bummer. 

Just be careful with the choice of doctor. I will do a new hair transplant but will do my due diligence this time.

The clinic should be able to give you the photos, no?

• Like 1

On 5/29/2019 at 10:09 PM, jj51702 said:

This is the first I’m hearing of a dissatisfied demirsoy patient. Have you’re reached out there and what was there response?

Likewise, only dissatisfied one I've seen photos off also.

On 5/29/2019 at 11:49 PM, CosmoKramer said:

Yes, transplanted hair can be susceptible to hormonal/mpb hair loss over time, even most all HT surgeons will tell you you are likely to loose around 10% of the transplanted hair.

In all honestly, it doesn’t look that bad as it looks like the majority of the transplanted hairs have remained and that your native hair continued to fall out even with you taking Finasteride (it’s not guaranteed to work on everyone) judging by your photos. Also, if you did get 3k grafts just in your crown its also likely that many didn’t survive as it’s common for the crown to be stubborn with graft whether it be done by a top surgeon or a cheap one.

Do you have any photos directly post procedure to show how the grafts look on your scalp? Would be good to see.

I'd wonder about the medication also, did you ever see the effects of minoxidil and finasteride before? What was the clinic's response? 

On 5/29/2019 at 5:52 PM, jonathande said:

I wish I had gone with a more experienced surgeon and will be more careful with research next time.

I’m sorry your not happy with your results after three years, however I can’t understand why you can’t get hold of the clinic photos to show your situation before surgery.

But are you serious with the above quote?  Dr Demirsoy has been doing HT for 15 years+ Which your research would of told you, and I will echo what the other members have said, it is rare to find bad results. Look at his before/after photos on his site, YouTube, forums( especially international). 

On 5/29/2019 at 11:24 PM, jonathande said:

Apprently his nurses may not have had the focus during my surgery or graft died due to bad processes. 

Who has said this? 😂😂 you or the clinic, sorry I find this absurd.

I think you developed good results. If you compare your pre-surgery photo with what you see at 2-years, that's quite a considerable improvement.

2 years ago, did you consider the surgery a success or it is only now? Most would consider their transplant complete at 12 to 18-month mark. Based on that, I think at 2-years it would be considered something close to a success, particularly given that the crown area is allegedly more difficult to support graft growth than other parts of the head. When covering a crown area as large as your original pre-op photo, you must have realistic expectations.

In addition, the fact that from Year 2 to Year 3, you have experienced further hair loss, even though you say you've taken medicines each day, suggests that perhaps it's the medicines that have not worked, and not the surgery.

That's just my two cents. I'm no expert, but that's the way it comes across to me at least. 

In addition, I find it difficult to believe that you would be communicated, by the surgery, that they had incompetent nurses on the day of your surgery. Whatever else we say on this threat, that statement simply cannot be true. 

You are best advised to talk to the surgery and ask for your post-operative photos. I went to the same surgery, so it's entirely possible for you to do this. 

Edited by maltesefalcon

First of all. Thank you for all feedback! Lots of comments here. So to answer all of them I will try to summarize some answers.

1. Why am I not happy with the treatment

As you can see in the photos. Some parts of crown had very low density now resulting in a small ”bald spor”. In my opinion, this is sloppy when inserting the graft as it should have been more densely packed in this area. It had nothing to do with further hairloss. It’s rather the result of poor cosmetic design or fallacy in the surgery procedure.

2. Have I lost more hair post surgery?

I wouldnt say so. Not only because I have been on minoxidil and finasteride but also because there is no sign on further hair loss such as in the front area for instance, which has  completly stopped years back. However, it can very well be so that the general quality of my entire hair has deteriorated  somewhat.

3. Really only one bad case?

First of all, it is not true as I have seen other cases for 3 years ago. However, I have no doubt that the majority of Demirsoy’s clients are happy with the results. But, hair transplantation is an extremly large investment - not only due to cost but maybe more so due to social isolation, painful procedure and the risks associated with it. In this aspect, me personally would like to minimize the risk of getting a result I am not satisfied with. Also, definitely minimize the risk of wasting pressures  grafts. 

I think you are not as likely to post a review  of a bad result because majority of us wants confirmation and kudos. Simple psychological phenomenas. Therefor, I have no ideas if other have had similar experiences - maybe not - maybe so. However, it is important to explain my reasoning but to allow others to make their judgement.

Edited by jonathande

On 5/29/2019 at 5:52 PM, jonathande said:

I’m sorry your not happy with your results after three years, however I can’t understand why you can’t get hold of the clinic photos to show your situation before surgery.

But are you serious with the above quote?  Dr Demirsoy has been doing HT for 15 years+ Which your research would of told you, and I will echo what the other members have said, it is rare to find bad results. Look at his before/after photos on his site, YouTube, forums( especially international). 

On 5/29/2019 at 11:24 PM, jonathande said:

Apprently his nurses may not have had the focus during my surgery or graft died due to bad processes. 

Edited by Anthonyd
Apologies sent again by mistake😔

6 hours ago, jonathande said:

First of all. Thank you for all feedback! Lots of comments here. So to answer all of them I will try to summarize some answers.

1. Why am I not happy with the treatment

As you can see in the photos. Some parts of crown had very low density now resulting in a small ”bald spor”. In my opinion, this is sloppy when inserting the graft as it should have been more densely packed in this area. It had nothing to do with further hairloss. It’s rather the result of poor cosmetic design or fallacy in the surgery procedure.

2. Have I lost more hair post surgery?

I wouldnt say so. Not only because I have been on minoxidil and finasteride but also because there is no sign on further hair loss such as in the front area for instance, which has  completly stopped years back. However, it can very well be so that the general quality of my entire hair has deteriorated  somewhat.

3. Really only one bad case?

First of all, it is not true as I have seen other cases for 3 years ago. However, I have no doubt that the majority of Demirsoy’s clients are happy with the results. But, hair transplantation is an extremly large investment - not only due to cost but maybe more so due to social isolation, painful procedure and the risks associated with it. In this aspect, me personally would like to minimize the risk of getting a result I am not satisfied with. Also, definitely minimize the risk of wasting pressures  grafts. 

I think you are not as likely to post a review  of a bad result because majority of us wants confirmation and kudos. Simple psychological phenomenas. Therefor, I have no ideas if other have had similar experiences - maybe not - maybe so. However, it is important to explain my reasoning but to allow others to make their judgement.

1. Contact clinic for photos 

2. Post here

3. Get opinions from experienced members here

4. Done

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 8/14/2019 at 1:09 PM, Anthonyd said:

Nokia made Cellphones even longer....

Sorry, but I work in a business (management consulting areas including hospitals) where I analyze human production/quality output every day and is my job to establish process to improve/minimize this. Just because someone or process has worked - there is no indication that they will continue to do so. Keeping quality consistent is a bit more complex than just experience of a single surgeon in his profession. It requires processes, standards and so on.  And often it diminish with the pressure for decreased marginal cost for profits.

To expect that a team of young nurses using motorized extraction to yield the same result as manually extracted/inserted grafts by an experienced surgeon is a nice dream - but just not the reality. You get what you pay for most often in this industry and Demirsoy is cheaper than other surgeons in Turkey - not because of charity but because he is using cheaper/more cost efficient processes including techniques, staff for extraction and other procedures. This is exactly what my point is.  

Edited by jonathande

• 2 years later...

I also received a failed hair transplant from Dr. Demirsoy.  I was a healthy Norwood 3 and received 2,940 grafts, approximately 60% or more of the transplanted grafts died.  The nurses who did the implanting were having more fun than I was comfortable with so I completely understand the statement "Apprently his nurses may not have had the focus during my surgery or graft died due to bad processes. "  I also consulted with another doctor who stated he believed my ultra low survival rate was due to the implantation/graft care process. Dr. Demirsoy refuses to accept any responsibility and his assistant stopped replying to my messages.  I have not posted my negative experience in this forum because I don't feel like dealing with all the back/forth after. It's an emotional trauma going through an experience like this. 

Edited by Dude_in_LA