YOU WILL AGE!

I am 71, and I had my first transplant at 64, and the 2nd at 71.  I probably didn't start losing my hair until my 40s eventually becoming a Norwood 3-5 by the time I was 64.  As I said, I have had 2 transplants for a total of 4300 grafts.   I have had very good results.  I posted a picture, before and after at about the 7 month point of my last transplant, but I will post an 'Official' one year picture on Sep. 10 2019.  In about my mid 60s I noticed a decline in hair loss, as witnessed by my brush and comb.  I also believe I did not get the shedding so often mentioned on this forum.  I know most of you guys are much younger than me, but you too will age, and much quicker than you think.

My question is if my experience is normal for someone over 60, and do you see better results the older a man gets?  I could use implants in my crown area, but enough is enough.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

• Administrators

Yes, the other older guy who posts here @voxman doesn’t use medication and his results look good. Typically, there is a point where your hair loss levels off. That said, as you get even older 80’s and 90’s your overall density will decrease due to involutional alopecia. This is purely due to aging.

Also, this post is a important reminder to all the young guys who say “I won’t care what I’ll look like when I’m old” that’s a load of BS especially if your partner is younger 😁

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 hours ago, jj51702 said:

1 star thread. Didn’t you say u were going to stop posting like 2 months ago?

Thanks, sorry to bother you. You gave a 0 star response jerk.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

Hey thanks for the thread Dazed .. I appreciate the experience n insight.. I just turned 40 myself n worry about what I would look like in my 50-60.. I’m like u ,, I didn’t start my hairloss till late .. was still a norwood 1 at 37.. n most definitely I will still worry about my hair when I’m in my 40- 50s..  I probably won’t make it to 70 so I don’t look that far ahead .. heheh ..

n don’t mind JJ51702.. it’s always the bald ugly guys that’s grouchy about life n try to put their negative energy onto others..

@Legend007 you absolutely should expect to make 70. If we get deep into our 80s and 90s we can expect senile alopecia to eat our hair. :)

There will definitely be pretty good solutions against senile alopecia when you get that old, if you get that old.

If you expect to make it to 70, you will also be expecting to make it to 100 when you're 70, given the advances that are anticipated in the medical world in the next few decades.

Edited by RecedingTide

• Moderators
On 5/29/2019 at 7:49 AM, Dazed said:

In about my mid 60s I noticed a decline in hair loss, as witnessed by my brush and comb.....

My question is if my experience is normal for someone over 60, and do you see better results the older a man gets?  I could use implants in my crown area, but enough is enough.

You didn't get much shedding past your mid 60s because you were already bald at the time. The sides and back fall out much slower. You also don't get better results when you are older. What happens is you are willing to accept much less than someone who is younger. If a 25 year old looked like your "after" pictures he'd probably be freaking out because he is bald and getting a hair transplant to dramatically lower the hairline.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

BeHappy, there is a thin line you walk as you age.  We have all known people who try to look younger than they are, and they look kind of strange.  Now, I look like I have more hair than I did in my 40s.  I have grown a full beard and it is white, but hair color is still brown.  I do use Just For Men on my eyebrows only because I don't like white eyebrows.  I am just telling the guys of the battles they will face as they grow older, and most will still care about their appearance.  They will not always be 30.  I have much more hair than Joe Biden, and I am sure he has much more money than I.

https://parsamohebi.com/celebrity-hair-transplant-wrong-joe-bidens-hair-transplant/

Dazed, I'm with you and support you 100%.  I am 64 and had 4 separate HT procedures starting when I turned 40.  So I have enjoyed my restored appearance for 24 years and expect more enjoyment in the future.  And I can tell everyone here that yes, you still care about having your hair as you get older.

I once worked with a gentleman who was 74 when he got his first HT and he had roughly 4,000 grafts.  His transformation was outstanding and he looks great.  He was so happy to get back what he lost decades ago.  He is a widower and believe it or not, has several lady friends who love his hair.

We never know how much time we have in this lifetime but it's guys like you who add a whole new meaning and dimension to what it means to live a life worth living!

Moving upward and onward!...:D

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Gillenator, I have tempered my goals over the years.  In my early years it was always about getting the girl.  Now I just want to look and feel good about myself, and women are not the driving force.  As far as I am concerned I am done with the hair part, and I am moving on to conditioning, strength training, Yoga and Tai Chi, mostly for balance. 

Gotcha Dazed...in all honesty, I was wearing hair systems with HCM for 11 years and hated it...then I went through a divorce and started dating again...yet the girls kept staring at my system and no doubt knew I was wearing one.

I finally pulled the trigger with my first HT in 1996 and my second in 2001...then I met a wonderful woman and got married in 2002. 

Had 2 more procedures and now am done....am happily married for 17 years but still care about having my hair...not because it's vanity but rather it's nice to have something important back that I once lost.

Life is good!

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Administrators

@jj51702 

Come on man, 

No need to be negative. @Dazed has been a longtime member of this forum. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

6 hours ago, gillenator said:

Gotcha Dazed...in all honesty, I was wearing hair systems with HCM for 11 years and hated it...then I went through a divorce and started dating again...yet the girls kept staring at my system and no doubt knew I was wearing one.

I finally pulled the trigger with my first HT in 1996 and my second in 2001...then I met a wonderful woman and got married in 2002. 

Had 2 more procedures and now am done....am happily married for 17 years but still care about having my hair...not because it's vanity but rather it's nice to have something important back that I once lost.

Life is good!

What an amazing journey that you’ve been on! Congrats. 

I’m in my 40s and thinking about taking the plunge for my first transplant.

Have you ever put together a post chronicling all of the procedures that you’ve had? It would be really interesting to see how your transplants have changed and held up over time. 

Cheers!

6 hours ago, yesplease said:

What an amazing journey that you’ve been on! Congrats. 

I’m in my 40s and thinking about taking the plunge for my first transplant.

Have you ever put together a post chronicling all of the procedures that you’ve had? It would be really interesting to see how your transplants have changed and held up over time. 

Cheers!

That would be interesting to hear Gillenator's story.  Other than starting at age 64, my story is rather generic, with one FUT and one FUE, and I didn't suffer any of the side effects that I hear guys talk about.  I worked with a guy back in the late 60s or early 70s who had the old plugs, and it looked awful.  I wonder when the new techniques were developed, because I don't remember even thinking about transplants for a very long time after seeing him.  Even someone as rich as Frank Sinatra could not get good transplants back then.  It would be good to hear from guys who have had more than 2 transplants, and at what age they started.  I am very satisfied with my results.

I can absolutely agree that we still care about our hair as we get older. I had my first ht at 28, and if I'd had my way as a rather naive young man back then, I'd have used up most of my grafts restoring my juvenile hairline, thinking I wouldn't care about my hair in decades to come - I just want it all now. Thankfully Dr. Farjo pointed out that I'll still care about how my hair looks at 50 and beyond, and we took a more conservative approach. I've just turned 49 and I'm very glad I listened to him.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.