The Shed questions

So what is the common census on when the shed can start post operation? What is the earliest one could expect shedding to occur, I have read so many different things, from a week, or two weeks, to when crusts are removed (its at this part that I've read a lot of people freaking out, but should only worry if there was blood involved), to a month after, just curious!

There are different types of shedding.  I gather you are talking about what happens immediately after the procedure and not the normal shedding that happens throughout the life of a follicle.  If so, shedding will occur when you wash off the crusts.  It is typically recommended 7-10 post procedure.  But I bet this is confusing for some patients.....

When grafts are harvested, regardless if FUE or FUT, the hair is typically shaven.  This is done so that lengthy hair does not get in the way of the clinical staff when placing grafts.  Typically there will be a very short stubble that is needed to transport the graft.  Is it the shedding of this hair that you are talking about?  If so, 7-10 days post procedure when you scrub off.

How about the shedding of the native hair?  All hair will shed eventually and not all at the same time. The follicle gets tired of producing hair and eventually gets tired.  A resting phase is needed.  This is normal shedding that has nothing to do with hair loss.  Hair loss, only to clarify, is hair that miniaturizes and eventually dissipates.

If you don't wash after the procedure, and this happens with a lot of patients, (they are too gingerly with their grafts because they feel they are going to damage something), shedding of the crusts, etc...can happen months after the procedure.  This could actually result in infections and other issues.  So, personal hygiene and following post op instructions are instrumental in answering your question.

Many believe the transplanted hair will resume the shedding schedule. The hair will typically retain a memory and will act as if it was still in the donor area.

• Moderators
On 5/28/2019 at 5:18 PM, Squidward said:

What is the earliest one could expect shedding to occur, I have read so many different things, from a week, or two weeks, to when crusts are removed (its at this part that I've read a lot of people freaking out, but should only worry if there was blood involved), to a month after, just curious!

It varies by individual and even by procedure, but it can be anywhere from just under a week for it to start to about a month. Some of it may not shed at all in some people. There's no way to tell ahead of time. I've had several procedures and it's always different. I had one procedure where one small section did not shed at all (or very little, if any).

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I agree with what’s discussed. It is different from one person to another. Usually starts a week or 10 days once the hair can be scrubbed and lasts for 4-8 weeks after that. I am noticing that usually 50-80% shed and some transplanted hairs remain and commence growth stage. I dont know if this is an effect of PRP use intra op. Could be but nothing documented yet. 

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

It sounds like the OP is referring to post-op shock loss and not a timely shed cycle?

They are 2 entirely different events altogether.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY