Do transplanted eyebrow hairs keep growing?

Do transplanted eyebrow hairs keep growing, due to being taken from the back of the head, a place where hair never stops growing? If not, how come?

And if so, do the transplanted eyebrow hairs need to be regularly trimmed to stop them growing too long?

• Administrators

Yes, to both questions.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Thanks. 

By the way, do you know if Alpecin shampoo, Alpecin Liquid and Nizoral shampoo work on eyebrows? Logically I suppose they would have to, seeing as they work on head hair.

@Melvin-Moderatoranswered your initial question. As for growth treatments for eyebrows, many doctors use bimatoprost eye drops (brand name Latisse) as an off-label use topically. It is FDA approved for eyelash growth, but it is being used on eyebrows too with good effect. 

Edited by DrTBarghouthi
I changed Lumigan to Latisse. Same drug but FDA approval for eyelashes is for the brand name Latisse

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

3 hours ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

@Melvin-Moderatoranswered your initial question. As for growth treatments for eyebrows, many doctors use bimatoprost eye drops (brand name Lumigan) as an off-label use topically. It is FDA approved for eyelash growth, but it is being used on eyebrows too with good effect. 

Would Lumigan work if the eyebrows have been created due to an FUE procedure?

Or is it only going to work in native eyebrow hair?

It is usually for the native hair. However, there are some studies showing the effect of Bimatoprost (Lumigan and Latisse) on scalp hair including donor hair and even Alopecia Areata. So there could be a stimulatory effect on donor hair grafts too as it works through another pathway other than the hormonal androgenic path. 

• Like 1

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

5 hours ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

It is usually for the native hair. However, there are some studies showing the effect of Bimatoprost (Lumigan and Latisse) on scalp hair including donor hair and even Alopecia Areata. So there could be a stimulatory effect on donor hair grafts too as it works through another pathway other than the hormonal androgenic path. 

Thanks DrT!

17 hours ago, DrTBarghouthi said:

@Melvin-Moderatoranswered your initial question. As for growth treatments for eyebrows, many doctors use bimatoprost eye drops (brand name Latisse) as an off-label use topically. It is FDA approved for eyelash growth, but it is being used on eyebrows too with good effect. 

Thanks.

I ask not for myself. I’m just curious to know if Alpecin and Nizoral would have any effect on eyebrows.

I haven't experienced any positive results with these on eyebrows to be honest. I wouldn't imagine they would work there. 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

I’m not sure to be honest. It might be that the application was not kept on for long or was not enough. Some studies show that caffeine can elongate hair shafts by keeping hairs in the anagen phase for longer. However, it seems that the main positive effect is a suppression of DHT in the scalp. If that is a more significant effect, then other body hairs are not sensitive to DHT in the same way as scalp hairs are and therefore it would be more effective on scalp hairs. Nonetheless, this is just my take on it.

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

IMHO, FUE is the way to go for eyebrow transplants because the surgeon can cherry pick softer textured donor hair and also a better option than having a strip scar for such a small number of grafts that would be needed.

BTW, my wife uses Bimaptoprost (Latisse) on her eyelashes with amazing results...will mention to her to try some on her eyebrows and see what happens.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

@gillenatorI agree that FUE gives a nice option of not having the linear scar and also picking softer hairs. Nonetheless, in FUT, grafts can also be trimmed nicely and  the scar can be hidden well in females (since they are the majority of clients going for it). The biggest advantage of an FUT eyebrow is the fact that you can keep the hair slightly long and that enables seeing the curl  of the hair better than FUE, which is important to plant them with the curl facing down towards the skin rather than sticking up.

I am too a big fan if latisse on both lashes and brows. You need a slightly higher dosage for brows though. 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

Thanks...will mention that to my wife...;)

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY