Do Hair Vitamins Stop Hair Loss?

• Administrators

I get this question daily, does __ vitamin stop hair loss, or what if I take ___ will I be cured? Unfortunately, the answer is always no. What do you guys think? I would love to hear the communities thoughts.

Do Hair Vitamins Stop Hair Loss?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

There was a recent study, I believe it was CBS reporting, indicating that vitamins did absolutely nothing for anyone.  Apparently, given our diets, we get a percentage of what we need daily.  Now, if your diet is bad, ok, you may be out of something.  Will taking a vitamin help you?  Perhaps.

I think that the power of the mind is something to behold.  Lots we do not understand.  I've seen suggestions, however, have a great deal of effect on patients.  Tell a patient that by taking an M&M they will experience a side effect and, guess what? They come back complaining of ED, larger greast, etc.

As we get older, and I notice this every day, the normal reaction is to do all we can to halt or slow down the process.  Exercise, better eating habits, and taking vitamins.  Nothing wrong if it makes us feel good and, perhaps, get an extra benefit from this.  

In the industry we find ourselves in we often speak of Biotin.  It does not halt the loss, but it can make the hair look as good as it can all the time.  

After all that, I feel I really did not help answer anything. I believe vitamins do have a positive effect but it can vary from person to person based on their habits.

• Like 1

I take biotin for hair health, and a multi and Calcium, Mag and Zinc.  I am on the Keto diet and also fast.  At 72 my hair loss has basically stopped.  During my 40s I would always see hair in my comb or brush, and in the shower.  I am basically the old man around here so my experience will vary from the younger guys.  I can't say that the vitamins helped just as I can't endorse PRP because everything is subjective.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

My perspective is, when you start doing things in tandem with each other i.e. Finesteride - vitamins - derma - etc - etc, you will 100% see better results than each on their own. 

Saying vitamins do nothing for you is puzzling. Everything you ingest gets processed by your body. Just know what your putting in your body because not everything is the same.  I will preface that by saying FOOD FIRST! A healthy diet is needed,  you cannot get everything you need just from vitamins but if you feel you may be deficient in something vitamins will help. 

Link to what I did to grow my hair back without a transplant. 2 year update. 

It's a hard one for a couple of reasons. 

Firstly, there isn't a lot of peer-reviewed research on the efficacy of vitamins, and even when there is, it's hard for researchers to make a definitive assertion that 'x' causes/effects 'y'. This is mostly due to how many variables are at play when we look at bodily functions.

That being said, some studies have found certain vitamins/minerals to plausibly impact hair loss, and they are mostly safe at normal levels.

So, in conjunction with proven methods: fin, minox, etc, it's not unreasonable to assume they may actually help, and honestly, they probably won't hurt. So what have we got to lose?

As Melvin correctly stated, vitamins will not "stop" hair loss. Unfortunately, far too many companies make this claim. In fact, nothing will really "stop" the hair loss; it is genetic and somewhat inevitable for those with the right genetic "code." Some therapies may help slow it, but vitamins are not one of them. Vitamins can help the hair shafts themselves look a little healthier or maybe even grow a little faster (Biotin), but none of these will stop the genetic hair loss process. Patients who believe they may have a true vitamin deficiency -- which can manifest in many different ways -- should see a doctor and supplement as needed; all others should approach vitamins as they are being discussed above: something that may make the hair shafts (and nails and skin) look a little healthier, but definitely not a "cure" for anything. 

• Like 2

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• Administrators

@Dr Blake Bloxham

Great response.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

There is a lot of money in the vitamin industry and it all gets back to a healthy diet.  For some, the vitamins can help overall health because they simply have poor diets.

I also agree that vitamins will do nothing to stop or cure hair loss, period.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY