Why is baldness seen as being “bad”?

Addendum

Why is baldness seen as being “bad”? I know some men don’t consider it bad, nor do some women (probably a small percentage, aged mainly over 40) but why do most men consider it bad. I’m assuming that most men do, given the increasing popularity of hair transplants, hair systems and DHT blocking lotions and medications etc.

What is it about baldness exactly that is seen as so unappealing? I myself see it as such. To me hair makes a plain looking man less plain looking, and a handsome man more handsome. Few men look good bald. Some men can get away with it, such as Sean Connery because his hairy arched eyebrows compensate for his lack of scalp hair. Most men, though, don’t have hairy arched eyebrows. If they did, perhaps going bald would be less traumatic for them. 

What are your theories (if any) as to why baldness is seen as being “bad”?

If there are any women here (there might be one or two) could they also join the discussion. It would be interesting to hear what women have to say about this.

Most men, if not all, look better with hair.  There are thousands of photos out there of before and after and, the universal thought is that men without hair look older.  With millions and millions of people in this earth, there is a bit for everyone.  Some women do like older men,  But, the majority, don't.

Have you noticed how people make fun of people when something is just not right?  How about wearing glasses.  Atypical? Perhaps.  "Hey four eyes!" Have you heard that before?  How about a receding hairline in high school.  Compare that to the jocks that have full sets of hair and are the most popular on campus.  People notice and they'll always will.

Framing of the face is what helps.  That's why mot young guys that go in for consultation are always freaking out.  They are losing their youth.  The more the hairline recedes, the older they appear to be.  

Looks are everything for some people.  I do agree there are many good people out there that look good regardless of their handicap.  But the MAJORITY will always be self aware when you start comparing.  Why do you think commercials most of the time tend to include good looking people/models?  Have you ever seen a Loreal commercial with an ugly person?  

I'm not sure the "why" is something that is even possible to answer. What is deemed "attractive" in men and women is not only very subjective, but it also varies depending on the time period, social status, and the culture at hand. As a general rule, in modern day society a man generally more appealing if he has a good head of hair. However, there are plenty of guys with full heads of hair who society may not deem "attractive", and there are definitely plenty of men out there who are losing their hair who society does consider attractive. Then you throw in different factors such as wealth, success, confidence, personality, and charm (just to name a few) and whether or not a person has hair has very little to do with where they may fall on the attraction meter to a good portion of society. 

Does having a full head of hair or a strong hairline help make someone's life easier? Perhaps. But there's plenty of evidence to support that not having good hair isn't the societal death sentence some people would make it out to be. (And I say this as one of those guys who thought the world was ending when I started losing my hair... So I understand the resistance to the notion that hair loss isn't as catastrophic as we can make it out to be.)

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

True, baldness makes some men look older, but there are bald men who have young-looking faces, and are handsome as well, and so baldness wouldn’t be as aging to them as it is to men with old-looking faces and who are not handsome.

So maybe it’s the face that’s the real problem in relation to baldness. In many cases, a facelift would be a good solution to being bald for men who are not handsome.

Edited by Addendum