Who is the best HT surgeon in the UK or nearby? (2019 update)

I've spent hours browsing the forum and the closest match to the question was from three years ago here

So I'd like an update if possible. Personally at age 40, I have a Norwood stage 3 or 4 right now, so I'm trying to narrow my search down further before I commit to a decision. I am apparently suitable for (and frankly, prefer) FUE, so that may influence my focus for this topic.

"Best" is subjective, but we can take into consideration factors such as: Symmetry, least chance of shockloss, least unnecessary loss from donor area, yield rate for transplanted hairs, equal spacing between transplanted hairs, appropriate feathering, hair angle accuracy, appropriate hair texture, and I'm sure a few other factors I'm forgetting.

Which UK or nearby surgeon ticks all the boxes?

Edited by hair4tomo

• Administrators

Well, you're right best is subjective. It's difficult to say without seeing pictures of your current hair loss situation. That said, Dr. Farjo, has been one of the best surgeons from the UK for quite some time. In fact, Dr. Lorenzo who many consider one of the leaders of FUE in the world practiced under Dr. Farjo for several years.

I have also been really impressed with Dr. Reddy, his hairlines look excellent. I really love the designs of his hairlines. I think it's worth consulting with both of these surgeons. They're both located in London, so if you're in the area I would definitely go to an in-person consultation with both.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

If you are looking for yield , symmetry, and DISTINCT change, you do have great surgeons nearby.  Have you seen Dr Ball’s work with Maitland? London or Hampshire I believe.  

Thanks both for the suggestions. Yes, both of those were on my shortlist.

After trawling through several posts in this forum (searching for European/UK surgeons), I collected a list of all the surgeons who were mentioned by users in this forum, and have sorted them by how many times each surgeon was mentioned (with the users who mentioned each next to them). Results are below (note that they are not all from the UK) :-

14 recommendations: Dr Feriduni (Belgium) : Bill - Managing Publisher, spex, RCWest, Blake Bloxham Forum Co-Moderator, HARIRI, England, JohnnyDrama, Melvin-Moderator Forum Co-Moderator, Dutch, Rootz, Mickey85, alix, snowman, fozzie
11 recommendations: Dr Farjo (UK): mikeyhwk, hairthere, fozzie, thanatopsis_awry, spex, Guest donald, RCWest, aaron1234, HairsGone, Melvin-Moderator
11 recommendations: Dr Bisanga (Belgium) : Topcat611, spex, HARIRI, Cant decide, JohnnyDrama, Melvin-Moderator Forum Co-Moderator, Dutch, Mickey85, Rootz, delancey, fozzie
10 recommendations: Dr Lorenzo (Spain) : mikeyhwk, Jessop, Mickey85, HARIRI, HairsGone, Dutch, FUE2014, Rootz, Melvin-Moderator, fozzie
6 recommendations: Dr Reddy (UK): fozzie, fueBobby, HairsGone, Mickey85, FUE2014, Melvin-Moderator
5 recommendations: Dr Koray Erdogan (Turkey): HARIRI, HairsGone, Dutch, FUE2014, Mickey85
5 recommendations: Dr Devroye (Belgium) : spex, RCWest, Blake Bloxham Forum Co-Moderator, Dutch, Bill - Managing Publisher
4 recommendations: Dr Ball (UK): mikeyhwk, fozzie, HairsGone, Sean
3 recommendations: Dr Mwamba (Belgium) : spex, JohnnyDrama, Mickey85
3 recommendations: Dr Keser (Turkey) : mikeyhwk, Maines, Sean
3 recommendations: Dr Couto (Spain): mikeyhwk, fozzie, Sean
2 recommendations: Dr Bhatti (UK): itxrd , mikeyhwk

FWIW. Bear in mind, there are thousands of posts I DIDN'T view, so this will be error-prone and restricted to posts where I searched for "best UK hair surgeon" or similar. I'm sure there are many excellent worldwide surgeons missing from this list.

Edited by hair4tomo

As you say, 'best' can be subjective but think the more important question is who is the best for your own particular type/level of hairloss. From the UK, personally I'd only consider Dr Reddy or Dr Ball now. In terms of other options that are close by (short journey on the Eurostar), you then have quality surgeons in the likes of Dr Bisanga, Dr Lupanzula and Dr Feriduni in Belgium.

In Spain, it's Dr Couto (long waiting list 3-4 years!), Dr Lorenzo and Dr De Freitas. In Turkey, if you are balding extensively (NW4-5, in some cases 6) and need a larger procedure, i'd say ASMED. For smaller work, especially in and around the hairline, I'd say Dr Keser.

Hattingen based in Switzerland are another clinic that go under the radar somewhat and one worth considering if you want to go the FUT route.

Some great surgeons in North America to, and in Dr Konior and Hasson&Wong, you have 2 elite surgeons/clinics there.

Edited by Fozzie

Dr Keser is really really good too when it comes to hairlines.  He is based out of Turkey.  He does manual extraction and does smaller procedures per session to maximize graft survival.  

Dr Cuoto is up there too but he is booked out for such a long time.  3+years it is crazy.   Very hard to get in his chair.  

10 minutes ago, Sean said:

Dr Keser is really really good too when it comes to hairlines.  He is based out of Turkey.  He does manual extraction and does smaller procedures per session to maximize graft survival.  

Any idea what percentage extra of hairs can be saved with shorter procedures? Also by shorter, do you mean around 1000-1500?

Yes, Because remember this—- the time your graft is outside of your body, and hitting oxygen vs blood.  If you have a 3000 graft procedure and your surgery is taking 10+ hours, then those grafts based on their texture and strength are risking follicle death.  They may not grow if they die prior to placement.  

Now, you do 1000-1500 grafts but under 6 hours they are in your head again - the follicle death risk is greatly reduced.

The weaker the hair, the faster it can die.  

• Thanks 1