Can Alcohol Damage A Hair Transplant?

• Administrators

For those of you who have had procedures, what do you think? Personally, I didn't really drink alcohol for at least a month after my hair transplant procedures and I noticed no negative effects. I would love to hear the communities input.

Can Alcohol Damage A Hair Transplant

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Not all doctors are in agreement on post-operative care. But they all seem to agree that alcohol before 7 days ,at a minimum, is not advised. After that, who knows? Even this article seems a bit unsure of itself, a bit ambiguous.

But why would anyone who's gone through the pain and expense of a hair transplant want to risk damaging the result?!? I love to drink but I'll be waiting a month before I drink again, and even then I'll ease into it. 

Edited by Bad Hair

Generally speaking, doctors ill advise drinking any alcohol beverages for several weeks prior to surgery and then waiting at least 7 days post-op.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Interesting topic. 

I believe the most relevant issue with alcohol and hair transplant surgery is its (alcohol) affect on "blood thinning." You do not want your blood to be too "thin" before a surgical procedure or within a reasonable period afterwards while things are still healing up. We typically ask patients to refrain from anything that can thin the blood -- including alcohol -- for 7 to 10 days before surgery, and for at least 3 days after. By day 4, all surgical incisions/excisions should be pretty well sealed up and bleeding is less of a practical concern. However, this only applies to reasonable amounts of alcohol consumption. I think if a patient wants to have a beer at post-op day 4, it is probably okay; if the patient wants to go to an all day outdoor drinking festival at day 4, I may advise against it -- for a number of reasons. Having said all that, most patients like to be overly cautious and not drink for extended periods before and after surgery. 

• Like 1

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

So guys, don't schedule your procedures within a week pre and post-op of Oktober-fest!...;)

• Haha 1

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Most doctors will want their patients to refrain from smoking because smoking can induce hypoxia which constricts the blood flow to the grafts and also compromise the healing process.

Gillenator