Mane Atraction's 10-Year Post-Op Update after HT with Dr. Rahal

Hey guys!

It's been a long time since I've been around these parts, but my ten year post-op HT anniversary was fast encroaching, so I figured I'd provide up update on how things are going.

When I had my surgery back in 2009, there weren't many (if any) people who had posted photographs of how a modern HT looked ten years out, so I'm happy to be able to give back to this community that helped so much on this journey. I think you'll agree that the results, after a decade, do, indeed, stand the test of time, so hopefully this gives a boost of confidence to anyone new who's considering taking the plunge, but might be worried about how the results will look in the future. Dr. Rahal did a lot of pre-planning on my scalp, and he transplanted donor hairs between native hairs where he thought future baldness would occur, so I think this careful approach is a good thing to consider when picking a surgeon.

After doing in-depth research for several months on these forums and consulting with knowledgeable members who previosuly had surgery, I committed to a date and locked in my HT for May 7th, 2009 with Dr. Rahal in Ottawa,  Rahal ended up meticulously transplanting 3,481 grafts into the front and temple point areas of my scalp, all the way to the half-way point of my head.

Here's an excerpt from my latest blog post:

Since my last update, nine years ago, I have paid nary a thought to my hair, as it really is something you begin to take for granted once the results have grown in and thickened. The transplanted hairs are really robust, too. Believe me, even after a decade they won't just fall out at the slightest breeze or touch. I can still swim, shower, run, dry my hair vigorously with a towel, scratch my scalp with long fingernails - you name it - that hair is affixed firmly in my scalp and is NOT coming out. Occasionally, the odd reminder of a having had transplant does creep back in -- such as getting my head shaved and the donor scar-line becoming slightly visible or residual numbness in my scalp -- but the overall procedure has been well and truly worth it. One of the best decisions I've ever made.

My expectations of where I'd be at this point have also been exceeded. In 2009, Rahal had mentioned that my forelock area would be the next area to thin and disappear. He estimated that my forelock region would only last another five years - which means it should have bitten the dust around 2014. However, I'm very happy to say that my forelock is still alive and kicking in 2019. I was originally using Finesteride and topical Minoxidil daily post-surgery, but after about 5 years, I stopped using the Minoxidil and have only continued using the Finesteride since then (half of a 5mg tablet every 3rd day of the week or so). My forelock area has, perhaps, thinned a little, but not noticeably to the casual eye. I only notice it personally, because my hair doesn't fall exactly the same way as it used to. Aside from that, nobody who I haven't specifically told, has noticed I've had a HT. Even my hairdresser was surprised when I informed her. She said she had noticed the donor scar, but had not linked it to HT surgery. I no longer have any pitting where the transplanted hairs were placed and the scalp redness has long since faded.

Suffice it to say, I am ecstatic with the long-lasting results. Dr. Rahal really did a top-notch job!

Here are a couple of shots showing the sorry state of my scalp before surgery back in 2009:

front_right.jpg

overhead_normal2.jpg

And here's how my Hair Transplant looks ten years down the track. (Photos with both long and short hair):

Long_Hair_Face_Indoors.jpg

Long_Hair_Top.jpg

Long_Hair_Front.jpg

Long_Hair_Left_Temple.jpg

Hairline_Close-Up.jpg

Short_Hair_Top.jpg

Short_Hair_Left_Side.jpg

Short_Hair_Right_Side.jpg

Short_Hair_Hairline.jpg

Short_Hair_Lerft_Profile.jpg

Short_Hair_Back.jpg

Short_Hair_Scar_Back.jpg

Short_Hair_Scar_Left.jpg

I have posted a more detailed blog and more photos at the link here, if you'd like to check it out:
https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/journal.asp?CopyID=11222&WebID=1200&ProcID=3614

And Here is my original thread:
https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/6198-manes-12-month-results-dr-rahal-3481-grafts/

Any questions, ask away!

Edited by Mane Attraction

It's held up pretty good considering you were headed to a high norwood pre surgery. Finasteride has served you well for sure.  Ever though of another procedure to add some extra density?

• Administrators

Awesome results, I’ve just checked out your patient website fantastic journey 🙏🏼

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the late reply. I had some computer hard drive issues, but all good now.

On 5/21/2019 at 12:20 AM, Mr S said:

It's held up pretty good considering you were headed to a high norwood pre surgery. Finasteride has served you well for sure.  Ever though of another procedure to add some extra density?

Yeah, I've considered another round, but I'll probably hold off on it for a while yet. I'd prefer to wait and see if any more hair loss advances before pulling the trigger on a possible round 2.

If I got another HT, I'd probably get it done in Thailand by Dr. Pathomvanich. I visit Thailand quite regularly, and it's a lot closer to me than Canada.

I have also considered getting a scalp micropigmerntation tattoo into my wide-ish scar at some point to help conceal it. I'm not sure how effective that would be. But at the moment, I can't shave my head any shorter than a 3-guard without the scar being visible. Judging by results I've seen online, micropigmentation hides the donor scar very well, even with a buzz cut.  Has anyone on this forum ever had it done?

On 5/21/2019 at 1:39 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Awesome results, I’ve just checked out your patient website fantastic journey 🙏🏼

Thanks, Melvin! Seems like just yesterday when I was sitting in Rahal's chair. Time sure does fly when your luscious locks have been restored.

Hmmm. Tough decision, because the FUE approach is really appealing on account of its less invasive nature and the faster healing time in the donor area. But in the grand scheme of things, I think I'd still want to be getting as many grafts as possible from a second HT (and also attempting some scar revision). So I'd probably be leaning towards one more strip surgery session and saving FUE for the future.

Actually, ten years ago, hair multiplication and cloning was supposed to be "just a few short years away", so I was hoping that would be ready before my next round. Alas, the wheels of scientific progress turn slowly in HT land.