Validating FUE Expectations

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to check in with the helpful folks here for some advice as I start my hair restoration journey. I'm 52, although my hair loss began around 25. I think I'm now a NW6, although my hair loss/balding has been stable for the last 10 years or so. I've never taken any hair loss medication of any kind ever. I have been trimming (never liked the shaven look) for the last 10 years or so. These pictures are very recent.

I have been lurking around this forum for the last 5 years and never really gotten serious about it until now. I have also began researching FUE options and surgeons based in the US and in India. Most importantly I would like to get some real-life feedback from this forum and I think it will give me final boost I am looking for.  As you can see I have some hair left on my top, but my crown is completely empty.

I also came across the Scalp Micro Pigmentation and was very encouraged to see some of the results combined with FUE. I understand that I can't expect to have anything close to a NW2 again, but I would be satisfied with light-moderate density all over, at which time I could buzz it down and add SMP for additional volume. I would like to have a mature hair line and temple areas with light coverage on the crown.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am tired of my current look and would like to do everything I can to change it in a logical and sensible way.

Questions and advises I am looking for:

• Am I a Nor-wood 5 or 6?
  • I am looking for an age appropriate hairline so What can I expect from FUE in my current state?
  • Can I get a FUE without taking any medicines? what are the pros and Cons?
  • Your thoughts on combining FUE with SMP (may be a year later)
  • Inputs on surgeons who does all the procedures themselves vs. surgeons who let their technicians do most of the work
  • Setting expectations for long hair vs trimmed look with my situation
  • Any other suggestions/information that I should know before taking the plunge

Many Thanks

IMG_5661.JPG

IMG_6382.jpg

IMG_6629.jpg

IMG_6637.jpg

IMG_6653.jpg

It looks like we have a lot in common.  My recession stabilized in my mid-30s and I had my in 2012 at the age of 51.  I was a Norwood VI.  Our hair loss is similar.  I never took any medications for hair loss prior to or after my surgery.  I have no problem taking regular medications (I take daily cholesterol meds) but I had no interest in taking any medications for hair loss.  It’s been 9 years after surgery and my hair looks the same to me as it did in a year after surgery.

You’re on the right website searching for a surgeon.  Find a doctor you’re comfortable with and go for it.  I wanted a surgeon who did only FUE and who extracted and implanted every graft.  Also, the price per graft was exceptional at $4-5 per graft.  

Visit my website (posted below) and take a look at my journey.  I documented every day after my surgery with pictures, videos, and narratives explaining what to expect along the way.  Click on the archives and (Sept. 2012) to see everything from the beginning. I have been posting pictures and narratives ever since.  Best of luck to you and keep us up to date with your decisions and progress.

• Like 1

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

In 2012 I had 5,125 grafts transplanted in a lengthy 2.5 day session(s).  My crown was covered then and worked out quite well.  The crown is typically the most difficult area to cover.  I had a 2,000 graft touch-up procedure done a couple years later but none of those grafts were placed in the crown area.  Take a look back through the archives of my website (listed below) and you will see lots of pictures including many crown shots.  If I had done a third surgery it most likely would include the crown area.  Mine looks good now and I'm happy with it and don't plan to add to it down the road. 

I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

On 5/19/2019 at 12:33 PM, JohnCasper said:

In 2012 I had 5,125 grafts transplanted in a lengthy 2.5 day session(s).  My crown was covered then and worked out quite well.  The crown is typically the most difficult area to cover.  I had a 2,000 graft touch-up procedure done a couple years later but none of those grafts were placed in the crown area.  Take a look back through the archives of my website (listed below) and you will see lots of pictures including many crown shots.  If I had done a third surgery it most likely would include the crown area.  Mine looks good now and I'm happy with it and don't plan to add to it down the road. 

Thanks JohnCapser for your feedback!