Has anyone successfully implanted FUE into FUT scar?

One of the best cases I have seen was a repair case of an individual who goes by NYC Guy.  He had multiple strip scars in his donor area and had multiple sessions of scar grafting done.  In the end, he looked remarkably better.  Keep in mind he is an exception and not the rule as I have also seen some awful results.

Not sure if he posted any pics in this community but I know he has posted in some of the other online hair loss communities.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

PA, 

There are almost always things that can be done to improve the incision line scar. Typically the best approach is a combination of FUE and SMP. Some doctors like using beard grafts, but I've found that the largest multi-haired follicular units (sometimes trimmed a little less than normal) work best. It is important to remember that FUE growth is more variable from the get-go, and growth of any kind into de-vascularized, altered tissue like scar is variable as well. So sometimes FUE into scar works well and other times it simply does not. I tell all my patients this, and I have absolutely had instances where it really does not work as well as we want or we need a few "passes" to make it work. 

I find that SMP is an excellent approach, regardless of whether or not you are adding FUE. Check out Erik at AheadInk for some good examples. Most people benefit from a combination of both, and using both typically results in a pretty darn good improvement in the incision line. 

Since you were asking for examples of FUE into scar, I'll post my personal favorite here: this is a guy who had multiple surgeries where the doctor took different strips each time and poor results. He then started to come to us and achieved great results in the front, but the back was always a challenge because of the previous surgeries. However, he was always more interested in growth in the front -- as he wore his hair long in the back -- so he asked us to always be as aggressive as we could with the harvests and not worry that the back was a bit of a bit of a jungle. So, after all was said and done, he decided that he wanted to do some FUE into several of the scars in the back. The worst was a scar was a patch on the right where a few scars sort of came together and the vascular supply was pretty decreased around the area. I did a fairly dense pace with multi-haired follicular units into the scar, and here is how it looked 9 months later: 

491327663_LMscarbeforeafter.thumb.jpg.dbf6538d90f0b15f0382acf78213d3e5.jpg

Excellent growth for the tissue we were working in, and a great cosmetic improvement all around. 

I think the important take away from the "FUE into FUT scar" discussion is: there are always options to minimize and improve the scar if you want to go shorter, but, believe it or not, most FUT patients don't feel the need to do anything after. Most don't focus on the scar at all, and most are left with neat, discrete lines that are perfectly covered back there. But it is reassuring to know that the scar can always be further concealed down the road if you want to. So it is great to have this option for those who want the best growth and best usage of the donor AND the ability to go a little shorter down the road. 

Dr Bloxham 

Edited by Dr Blake Bloxham
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

On 5/11/2019 at 5:44 AM, jim009 said:

i dith scar revision with ferfduni 950 gr into the scar

im only 2 months poster op, some hair already start to grow

he mixed bear grafts and fue grafts

do you have a thread?

Any pics that can be shared?

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• 9 months later...
On 5/11/2019 at 3:04 PM, Dr Blake Bloxham said:

PA, 

There are almost always things that can be done to improve the incision line scar. Typically the best approach is a combination of FUE and SMP. Some doctors like using beard grafts, but I've found that the largest multi-haired follicular units (sometimes trimmed a little less than normal) work best. It is important to remember that FUE growth is more variable from the get-go, and growth of any kind into de-vascularized, altered tissue like scar is variable as well. So sometimes FUE into scar works well and other times it simply does not. I tell all my patients this, and I have absolutely had instances where it really does not work as well as we want or we need a few "passes" to make it work. 

I find that SMP is an excellent approach, regardless of whether or not you are adding FUE. Check out Erik at AheadInk for some good examples. Most people benefit from a combination of both, and using both typically results in a pretty darn good improvement in the incision line. 

Since you were asking for examples of FUE into scar, I'll post my personal favorite here: this is a guy who had multiple surgeries where the doctor took different strips each time and poor results. He then started to come to us and achieved great results in the front, but the back was always a challenge because of the previous surgeries. However, he was always more interested in growth in the front -- as he wore his hair long in the back -- so he asked us to always be as aggressive as we could with the harvests and not worry that the back was a bit of a bit of a jungle. So, after all was said and done, he decided that he wanted to do some FUE into several of the scars in the back. The worst was a scar was a patch on the right where a few scars sort of came together and the vascular supply was pretty decreased around the area. I did a fairly dense pace with multi-haired follicular units into the scar, and here is how it looked 9 months later: 

491327663_LMscarbeforeafter.thumb.jpg.dbf6538d90f0b15f0382acf78213d3e5.jpg

Excellent growth for the tissue we were working in, and a great cosmetic improvement all around. 

I think the important take away from the "FUE into FUT scar" discussion is: there are always options to minimize and improve the scar if you want to go shorter, but, believe it or not, most FUT patients don't feel the need to do anything after. Most don't focus on the scar at all, and most are left with neat, discrete lines that are perfectly covered back there. But it is reassuring to know that the scar can always be further concealed down the road if you want to. So it is great to have this option for those who want the best growth and best usage of the donor AND the ability to go a little shorter down the road. 

Dr Bloxham 

Future Ht Doc !! Boom well I guess we’re in the future now Blake that’s awesome mate. 

Im resurfacing on the forums mainly because I’d like to hide my scar better it’s 30cmm long by 3-4 mm wife from what I’m learning it really is a role of the dice that fue into the scar will work I’m unsure whether to go for it. What would you say is good starting amount of fur grafts into scar first time round? I’m sure would need few sessions due to blood flow 

cheers mate. 

Bonkerstonker! :D

http://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/blog/home-page.asp?WebID=1977

Update I'm now on 12200 Grafts, hair loss has been a thing of my past for years. Also I don't use minoxidil anymore I lost no hair coming off it. Reduced propecia to 1mg every other day.

My surgeons were

Dr Hasson x 4,

Dr Wong x 2

Norton x1

I started losing my hair at 19 in 1999

I started using propecia and minoxidil in 2000

Had 7 hair transplants over 12200 grafts by way of strip but

700 were Fue From Norton in uk

Nice regrowth and hopefully there will be enough blood supply to support another pass in the area.

Gillenator

On 2/25/2020 at 5:10 PM, gillenator said:

Nice regrowth and hopefully there will be enough blood supply to support another pass in the area.

Gillenator

• 1 year later...