caring for new hair

hey all

i'm 9 months post-op and growing well. 

I am curious: do you guys take particular care of your "new" hair or is it business as usual?

specifically:

- shampooing? do you limit shampoo use, or use a specific type? 

- combing? are you concerned that combing the new hair might pull it out?

- folliculitis? I have a few pimples on my scalp and I am worried they might affect growth

- suntanning? I laid out at month 8 and I sprayed SPF 60 lotion all over my scalp. surely that's a good enough shield, especially such a long time after the surgery?

I think the goal is to treat your new hair as u normally would. I imagine the hair that’s transplanted is usually more resilient than the weaker native hair so things like normal shampooing and combing shouldn’t really be a big deal. I know it’s hard as I find myself babying the newer hair too.

Yes, I wish to admit the fact that i too was suffering from type of hair loss called traction alopecia which arise due to high temperature on my curly hair. My dermatologist prescribed me a heat protecttion serum which is free from paraben. I would share here the serum for all those who have hair health issues its ORS heat protecting serum. Though its a serum, it is very good elixir for all hair issues as its paraben, ammonia and sulphate free.

I am at 8 months and it is normal hair care for me at this point, although I did start using conditioner.  I was really gentle for about the first 6 months. I actually did get a bit of a sunburn at the 6 month point with no lingering effects.

Edited by Dazed

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

5 hours ago, kathyln said:

Yes, I wish to admit the fact that i too was suffering from type of hair loss called traction alopecia which arise due to high temperature on my curly hair. My dermatologist prescribed me a heat protecttion serum which is free from paraben. I would share here the serum for all those who have hair health issues its ORS heat protecting serum. Though its a serum, it is very good elixir for all hair issues as its paraben, ammonia and sulphate free.

@kathyln,

Thanks but I’ve had to remove your promotional link from  your post. If you are genuine and interested in participating in discussion, that’s great. But please do not link to promotional products which looks like you’re just trying to pedal and sell it. 

Thanks,

Bill

• Administrators

Hey Harry,

I'm happy to see that you're growing well, you certainly deserve having a good head of hair. You can treat your hair just as you would any other hair on your head. If you normally wash it everyday go ahead and continue, theres no special treatment necessary for your transplanted hair.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 5/8/2019 at 8:21 AM, HarryHonolulu said:

hey all

I am curious: do you guys take particular care of your "new" hair or is it business as usual?

specifically:

- folliculitis? I have a few pimples on my scalp and I am worried they might affect growth

- suntanning? I laid out at month 8 and I sprayed SPF 60 lotion all over my scalp. surely that's a good enough shield, especially such a long time after the surgery?

No patient should have to worry about having to take special care of the transplanted hair.

You can shampoo everyday or as per your comfort. You can use conditioners, serums and hair creams. You can opt for a mild shampoo which does not have harmful chemicals (but that is true for any individual - with or without transplantation).

You can comb your hair according to what are the normal standards. Using a wide toothed comb, not over brushing your hair, lesser blow drying etc as per the normal standards that are considered good combing habits.

You can use any product on your hair until and unless it is toxic or loaded with chemicals.

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

On 5/8/2019 at 8:21 AM, HarryHonolulu said:

hey all

specifically:

Halso regarding the pimples, they will not affect your growth.

However, you should use normal pressure while washing and shampoo regularly. Also you shouldn't be too frightened while handling your hair. 

I think that you must be very cautious while handling your transplanted hair which leaves the dust and grime not properly removed from your scalp.

The pimples should go away.

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ