Beard as a donor site for scalp hair restoration and scarring after

For those who have used beard hair as a donor when they're low on scalp donor.  Has anyone ever experience marks or scars after the beard donor area has healed?  Is it *always* the area under the jaw?  I ask as I will inevitably try and use as much beard hair as possible for my head (I'll be zapping it off later anyway), but I get a bit concerned that it will leave the skin with marks once it has healed..

I asked this question around a month ago and the general consensus was with anything where you are cut open you will have a scar or scars. It's all dependent upon healing characteristics of the person etc.

• Thanks 1

Using beard hair as a donor source has not been around that long so its longevity has not been tested.

But there are no reasons for doubting it to my knowledge.

IMHO, the real issues are visual compatibility and optimal yield as compared to scalp donor.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

8 minutes ago, gillenator said:

Using beard hair as a donor source has not been around that long so its longevity has not been tested.

But there are no reasons for doubting it to my knowledge.

IMHO, the real issues are visual compatibility and optimal yield as compared to scalp donor.

The thing to always keep in mind is that BH is miss and hit regardless of the area of the body it is harvested from.

The most experienced and ethical BH surgeons will tell you that beforehand.

This is why a smaller trial session is recommended before committing to any large numbers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

• Administrators

Yea I agree, also keep in mind that beard hair shouldn't be used in the hairline at all. If I had to use beard hair I would use it for the donor scar either strip or to add overall density to the donor area for FUE.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Yes, it does cause scarring.  It is visual and  can be concealed a little if you grow beard hair out longer, so,  it will be less noticeable if it is under the jaw vs jawline and above(cheeks).  

Also depends on the punch and tool too.  I had welts and noticeable issues.  

Do not believe the hype and bullshit of scarfree area or very minimally noticeable bs.  Sometimes you have to tell it as it is if you've gone through it, it is a service and ethical standpoint to inform other folks of what you were not fully informed of.  So, if you go through with this, yes, it is an option for repairing a scar or like donor or rear of the scalp with the mixture of other hairs.  It is definitely not natural looking to be hairline hair.  Ive asked quite a few folks who mocked me in person and they told me how ridiculous it looks and how overall I need to be repaired to look natural overall, aside from the beard hair.  You definitely do not want others to go through what you have gone through.  That should be the viewpoint of those that try to help others. Best of luck.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was assured by my doctor that beard transplantation (i.e. from neck to scalp) results in negligible scarring to the naked eye.

just to put it in perspective: the doctor considers FUE scarring to be definitely visible, so the fact that a distinction was made between regular FUE scarring vs. beard scarring should indicate how subtle the beard scars would be.

I was thinking about it, and it makes sense: it's a part of the body that is usually very supple and we often cut it while shaving- and yet we rarely see those scars. 

• Thanks 1

A surface cut from shaving is quite different from an incision that penetrates both layers of tissue into the dermis layer.

How visible scarring may be depends far more on the healing properties of the individual as people vary in how well they heal from one another.

Yes, doctor skill obviously is a factor but if an individual does not heal well or tends to heal with raised scars and/or other issues, there will be variances in how it turns out visually speaking.

Gillenator