PRP and Hair Transplants

Hi I was wondering if PRP should be given before , mid or post ht for the purposes of increasing graft survival? Although I know it has not been proven yet I don't think it will do any harm. Also does H&W offer it yet? And if one wanted to go to them for a ht would they first need to go to say Feller before to get the injection or should they go after? Cheers

Julius,

Using Platelet Rich Plasma in hair transplant surgery is a relatively new concept. While those who have used it do seem to agree it has some benefit to help aid and expedite healing, whether or not it increases the percentage of survival is questionable at best.

You may want to take a look at Dr. Carman's article on our popular Hair Loss Q&A Blog site (http://www.regrowhair.com). See "Can Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Increase Hair Growth in Hair Transplant Surgery?". See also Dr. Cooley's article on "Hair Transplant Graft Survival and Platelet Rich Plasma

Honestly, other than Dr. Jerry Cooley, I'm not sure who else uses PRP in hair transplant surgery. Most physicians I've talked to about this seem to agree that given the minimally invasive techniques and advancements in hair transplant surgery, PRP (even if it does add some healing benefit), is not really not needed.

I hope this helps.

Bill

Balboa,

Take a minute and read the above articles I've linked to. I think you'll get a good idea of what PRP is and some of the proposed benefits. Also, do a search for "Platelet Rich Plasma" or "PRP" on our Q&A Blog site at www.regrowhair.com. You'll find almost a dozen or so articles I've written/published over the last several months.

Best wishes,

Bill