What's the consensus on dyeing your after HT surgery?

I've searched a bit through old forum topics but it's inconclusive. Ones recommend not doing it before the 6 months mark and others say that from 1 month post-op is fine. Can anyone shed some light on this?

Typically  you'll want to color or dye just prior to doing the transplant, say 3 days before so you can get the ink off the skin and scalp. like you normally would.  Then wait a month, (4 weeks) before doing it again.  By that point you will not hurt anything and can keep up with your routine.

• Like 1

IMHO the key is that the scalp has completely healed before dyeing the hair.

And you always want to stay away from products that have harsh chemicals like peroxide, etc.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Actually Rahal says in his post op instructions 

When can I dye my hair?

Wait at least 6 months before dyeing your hair. Dyeing the grafts too soon can harm their growth and your results. You can dye the sides and back of your head (outside the recipient area) 1 month after your surgery. 

And his pre op instructions say 

If you dye your hair, do it 2 days before your procedure. If you have grey hair, it is recommended that you dye your hair darker to facilitate extractions

Edited by Markee

6 hours ago, clerksband said:

I'll dye only the sides then, it was just some stray greys. Thanks for the advice. I'm at the 5month mark post HT, by the way.

Omg... it is sufficient time to colour your hair without worries. I have a lot of grey hair so I started colouring my hair too after at least 3 months after the transplantation. However as suggested by @gillenator  above, you should avoid harsh chemicals and damaging products.

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ