Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hey guys

After researching for few years , I have decided to go ahead with HT in India.

I have few questions if someone can shed some light:

1) My flight back home will be 10 hours. Which seat should I choose? An isle or a window seat? I will be flying on my own.Do I need to spray something on my head every 2 hours or something while in flight?

2) How soon can I use dermamatch and hair fibres on my scalp after the surgery?

Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have a couple of questions for you,

Did you have a consultation already?  FUE or FUT?  Will your scalp be covered after the procedure?

Try to get an isle seat.  Having to tell people to get out of the way, if you need to go to the restroom, is truly a pain - and more so if you have a light dressing on top of the head.  Consider as well that you may experience some swelling after the procedure. 

It is likely the clinic will give you typed up post op instructions and perhaps even some products you can use.  The problem is TSA may not allow you to bring them on board.  You will need to check in your luggage if you want that stuff to reach destination.  Ask the doctor if they can give you a small size, (or better yet, purchase small empty bottles and bring them with you to the clinic), with whatever solution they recommend that way you can have it with you at all times.

Most believe you can start using camouflaging agents 3 days after a procedure.  I'll typically tell people to wait 7 days.  It all depends on hygiene and how proactive you are.  Most patients tend to be quite gingerly because they think they are going to damage something.

The most important things for you to bring are going to be your pain meds and a wrap around pillow you can put on your neck.  This will prevent for you to rest the back of the head on the seat.  That area will be tender.

Make sure you have something light to eat before the flight.

Let one of the nurses know, when you first get into the plane, that you had surgery earlier.  They'll check on you and be extra nice......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I can’t imagine going to India for a transplant but I’m sure you’ve done your research and must be saving a lot of money.  You may want to wait a day or so before your 10 hour flight home just in case you need access to your surgeon and allow your body to recover a bit from the basic trauma of surgery.  I’m sure the process will go fine and you wouldn’t need additional medical treatment for anything but make sure your personal health insurance would cover any medical bills.  It’s pretty rare but knowing that may relieve some personal anxieties.  Best of luck to you and let us know how everything goes.


I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Quote

1) My flight back home will be 10 hours. Which seat should I choose? An isle or a window seat? I will be flying on my own.Do I need to spray something on my head every 2 hours or something while in flight?

Personally I like the aisle but I'm over 6ft. It really make no difference what seat you get man. Comfort is important though. Some clinics recommend sparing saline but its not a deal breaker if you don't in my opinion. ( had 13 Hair transplants ) 

Quote


2) How soon can I use dermamatch and hair fibres on my scalp after the surgery?

 

As long as possible to allow unhindered healing. Minimum 10days/2 weeks

 

Regards

Spex

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, spex said:

Personally I like the aisle but I'm over 6ft. It really make no difference what seat you get man. Comfort is important though. Some clinics recommend sparing saline but its not a deal breaker if you don't in my opinion. ( had 13 Hair transplants ) 

As long as possible to allow unhindered healing. Minimum 10days/2 weeks

 

Regards

Spex

agree, however if you are traveling within few days of HT then I would not choose an aisle seat. I did travel on day 5 or 6 after my final day of transplant (last session done after couple weeks of first sessions). I had no issues. Though I personally would NOT choose Aisle seat, its just me that I worry about people walking past the aisle might accidentally bump my head. No other reason. Having said that the plan of spreading the HT sessions over a period of few weeks helped me heal quickly. Plus got me the results I wanted. Good luck with your procedure.


My Thread: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HT safety is the priority.

Fortunately for my flight from India post HT I had my SO in the middle seat and I had the window seat. Even without someone as a "buffer," you still want the seat that minimizes risk for damaging the HT. The last thing you want is luggage or someone brushing up against your planted hairs. Having said that, the window seat has a lower height, so you risk standing into the luggage container. Take your time and take everything super slow. When getting into the seat, place all arm rests you can up while you scoot into the seat. Deplane last. When getting up from your seat, place your hand above you so you can gauge the distance, and not bash your head.

Also, I agree with what spex said about the saline spray. It isn't explicitly mandatory, but I still would want to do it if the doc advises. The post-op care slip will allow you to board with your medication, and, the spray should be in a 3oz or less container anyway, so it shouldn't be an issue regardless.Now, you'll never see these people again, so who cares? Don't spray them, but do apply the saline on the plane. If they don't ask, great. If they ask, tell them you got a medical procedure, and this is non-medicated saline spray that helps with healing. If they prefer you to get up and move every hour so you can spray in the lavatory, they can get up and move and make their own flight uncomfortable. Up to you how you handle the passengers, but your health (and perceived health) come first. Honestly, airplanes will have the driest air, and thus the most need for the saline spray (if you argue that you need the saline). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, spex said:

Personally I like the aisle but I'm over 6ft. It really make no difference what seat you get man. Comfort is important though. Some clinics recommend sparing saline but its not a deal breaker if you don't in my opinion. ( had 13 Hair transplants ) 

As long as possible to allow unhindered healing. Minimum 10days/2 weeks

 

Regards

Spex

You’ve had 13 Ht’s? 

How many grafts in total?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2019 at 5:09 AM, Lennney said:

HT safety is the priority.

Fortunately for my flight from India post HT I had my SO in the middle seat and I had the window seat. Even without someone as a "buffer," you still want the seat that minimizes risk for damaging the HT. The last thing you want is luggage or someone brushing up against your planted hairs. Having said that, the window seat has a lower height, so you risk standing into the luggage container. Take your time and take everything super slow. When getting into the seat, place all arm rests you can up while you scoot into the seat. Deplane last. When getting up from your seat, place your hand above you so you can gauge the distance, and not bash your head.

Also, I agree with what spex said about the saline spray. It isn't explicitly mandatory, but I still would want to do it if the doc advises. The post-op care slip will allow you to board with your medication, and, the spray should be in a 3oz or less container anyway, so it shouldn't be an issue regardless.Now, you'll never see these people again, so who cares? Don't spray them, but do apply the saline on the plane. If they don't ask, great. If they ask, tell them you got a medical procedure, and this is non-medicated saline spray that helps with healing. If they prefer you to get up and move every hour so you can spray in the lavatory, they can get up and move and make their own flight uncomfortable. Up to you how you handle the passengers, but your health (and perceived health) come first. Honestly, airplanes will have the driest air, and thus the most need for the saline spray (if you argue that you need the saline). 

Many thanks. I might pay extra for the seat beside the toilet. I am flying with Lufthansa and can see a single seat beside the toilet on the chart. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/5/2019 at 3:17 PM, JohnCasper said:

 I can’t imagine going to India for a transplant but I’m sure you’ve done your research and must be saving a lot of money.  You may want to wait a day or so before your 10 hour flight home just in case you need access to your surgeon and allow your body to recover a bit from the basic trauma of surgery.  I’m sure the process will go fine and you wouldn’t need additional medical treatment for anything but make sure your personal health insurance would cover any medical bills.  It’s pretty rare but knowing that may relieve some personal anxieties.  Best of luck to you and let us know how everything goes.

I am from Ireland and Europe is way too expensive and no way would loo at turkey. Yes, India is the best bet. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2019 at 3:42 PM, LaserCap said:

Have a couple of questions for you,

Did you have a consultation already?  FUE or FUT?  Will your scalp be covered after the procedure?

Try to get an isle seat.  Having to tell people to get out of the way, if you need to go to the restroom, is truly a pain - and more so if you have a light dressing on top of the head.  Consider as well that you may experience some swelling after the procedure. 

It is likely the clinic will give you typed up post op instructions and perhaps even some products you can use.  The problem is TSA may not allow you to bring them on board.  You will need to check in your luggage if you want that stuff to reach destination.  Ask the doctor if they can give you a small size, (or better yet, purchase small empty bottles and bring them with you to the clinic), with whatever solution they recommend that way you can have it with you at all times.

Most believe you can start using camouflaging agents 3 days after a procedure.  I'll typically tell people to wait 7 days.  It all depends on hygiene and how proactive you are.  Most patients tend to be quite gingerly because they think they are going to damage something.

The most important things for you to bring are going to be your pain meds and a wrap around pillow you can put on your neck.  This will prevent for you to rest the back of the head on the seat.  That area will be tender.

Make sure you have something light to eat before the flight.

Let one of the nurses know, when you first get into the plane, that you had surgery earlier.  They'll check on you and be extra nice......

Procedure is in Dec. Yes looking to get the last back seat in the plane and near toilet. It will be FUE(DHT) procedure from India. Thanks for all the tips.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2019 at 5:09 AM, Lennney said:

HT safety is the priority.

Fortunately for my flight from India post HT I had my SO in the middle seat and I had the window seat. Even without someone as a "buffer," you still want the seat that minimizes risk for damaging the HT. The last thing you want is luggage or someone brushing up against your planted hairs. Having said that, the window seat has a lower height, so you risk standing into the luggage container. Take your time and take everything super slow. When getting into the seat, place all arm rests you can up while you scoot into the seat. Deplane last. When getting up from your seat, place your hand above you so you can gauge the distance, and not bash your head.

Also, I agree with what spex said about the saline spray. It isn't explicitly mandatory, but I still would want to do it if the doc advises. The post-op care slip will allow you to board with your medication, and, the spray should be in a 3oz or less container anyway, so it shouldn't be an issue regardless.Now, you'll never see these people again, so who cares? Don't spray them, but do apply the saline on the plane. If they don't ask, great. If they ask, tell them you got a medical procedure, and this is non-medicated saline spray that helps with healing. If they prefer you to get up and move every hour so you can spray in the lavatory, they can get up and move and make their own flight uncomfortable. Up to you how you handle the passengers, but your health (and perceived health) come first. Honestly, airplanes will have the driest air, and thus the most need for the saline spray (if you argue that you need the saline). 

Silly question but could I choose the exit seat as its given to someone who is fit? I am physically fit but would surgery be seen as unfit for this seat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Looking for HT said:

Hey folks. Thanks for all the tips. Here is the link of the seating map of Lufthansa in which I will be flying for 10 hours. Which seat do you recommend. I will be using saline spray every 2 hours

https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Lufthansa/Lufthansa_Airbus_A380_V3.php

Thank you

Row 88 or 60 are good if you could get the window. Any seat is fine if you're careful. I think an exit row seat would be nice, but I personally didn't want to be bothered. I ended up pretty swollen on my trip back (30hours of travel!), I just didn't want to have people question my ability, especially with me wearing a medical head cover.

Your call, but as long as you're careful with your HT, you're fine with any choice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Looking for HT said:

Many thanks. I might pay extra for the seat beside the toilet. I am flying with Lufthansa and can see a single seat beside the toilet on the chart. 

Those seats don't have a row designation. My gut tells me those are flight crew seats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Lennney said:

Those seats don't have a row designation. My gut tells me those are flight crew seats.

You were right mate. I booked a seat on upper deck.last row. last window seat for €45 :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Lennney said:

Row 88 or 60 are good if you could get the window. Any seat is fine if you're careful. I think an exit row seat would be nice, but I personally didn't want to be bothered. I ended up pretty swollen on my trip back (30hours of travel!), I just didn't want to have people question my ability, especially with me wearing a medical head cover.

Your call, but as long as you're careful with your HT, you're fine with any choice.

Thanks. I wanted exit seat but told by airline that I cannot cos of hair transplant .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Looking for HT said:

Thanks. I wanted exit seat but told by airline that I cannot cos of hair transplant .

Really? It’s for medical reasons, maybe you should call back and tell them you’re having surgery and don’t mention its a hair transplant.


I do not provide medical advice, recommendations, all responses are my opinion.

My Hair Transplant Journey

Melvin- Editorial Assistant and Forum Co-Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media Instagram @thehairtransplantnetwork FacebookPintrest, Linkedin and YouTube.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Really? It’s for medical reasons, maybe you should call back and tell them you’re having surgery and don’t mention its a hair transplant.

Cheers mate. I booked another seat. Last one near window. Think should be fine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, I’ve never seen a lengthy discussion regarding plane seats and its relation to hair surgery but....I’m sure that’s important when you travel abroad and have a lengthy time in the air.  Keep us posted on your progress and how your trip goes.  Best of luck to you.


I am an online representative for Carolina Hair Surgery & Dr. Mike Vories (Recommended on the Hair Transplant Network).

View John's before/after photos and videos:  http://www.MyFUEhairtransplant.com

You can email me at johncasper99@gmail.com

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×