Transplant from 2005 (2500 strip), 2007 (2000 strip), and around 2008 (1200 FUE into scar) with terrible outcome

Hello all, I'm reaching out to the forum for suggestions and asking for help. I was here years ago to do research on hair transplants and know this is the best place for answers.

I had the "in-title" procedures done and ended up with very poor coverage and a huge gaping scar which occurred both times in each of my strip procedures. It has devastated my well-being, relationships, and ability to function in many respects. I have used a combo of Dermmatch and Cabokie over the years but it has been in reality so time consuming to apply and thus increasing difficult to manage. I would spend several hours prior to work or before going out trying to use the concealer to get to an acceptable look, often skipping social events. I did this for years. Its been a living hell! My bathroom is a mess from it all also. Nevertheless, I managed for years to do this but recently finished my masters degree thankfully but now am no longer able to manage the daily application of the concealer combo due to what my job will entail. I simply cant spend hours daily in the morning applying this concealer. I was going crazy with it anyway trying to manage it. Incidentally, I kept my hair grown out during this time because I had the terrible scar. I returned to my Dr from prior procedures recently and was met with skepticism that I actually had all my procedures done at that clinic as my results and scar were so poor. The Dr in the consultation asked me several times if I had procedures anywhere else. I was angered by this as this was all this clinics work! In the end they realized it was there own work and told me that my scar was a result of my physiology and I would heal again this way if it was revised. They offered to address the scar @ $6/graft FUE. However, I contested that I had FUE work done before there for the scar and the scar was not improved. Again, devastated!

I was however referred to an SMP tech and as a result there received a much improved look. Still, as a result of poor scar healing I have a hyperpigmented dark line from ear to ear that cannot be hidden with this new shaved head look I now have. As a result of this I have been undergoing fractional laser therapy to decrease this dark line (3 sessions so far). However, this is not reducing the line as much as hoped and now that I must shave my head with having SMP done I still have this noticeable dark line from ear to ear. Further, while the SMP has helped the top of the scalp greatly, I still actually have the gaping scar that is hard to manage as the texture of no hair is evident with my hair grown out even a bit which results in a very noticeable 2D/3D dynamic. 

I do have a consultation upcoming for beard and chest hair FUE into the scar at another clinic. I'm not sure if this will help as my prior FUE into the scar seems to have yielded no benefit. Truly, this hair issue has devested my life, career, and relationships. My self-worth is really shot having gone trough this for years. As mentioned, I did thankfully manage to get my Masters during this time but I cannot go into my career this way and am currently without work. Attempts to address this hair/scar issue have failed in the past or not completely addressed the issue and now at 40 years old I want to move forward and try to find a good outcome. I want to try and have a relationship, career, and friends. This hair thing has made all this so hard. Please, any suggestions from you guys would help. 

Pics:

Pics with longer hair are the result of the 3 HT procedures starting in 2005 and now in 2019

Buzzed side-by-side are the improvement with SMP in 2019

Buzzed bathroom pics are the dark line attempting to be addressed by the fractional laser currently in 2019

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

17.jpg

Hey mate,

Firstly, I'm really sorry you went through all of this, it truly sounds horrible.

I kind of (not nearly as bad as your experience) know the feeling of something needing to change due to career moves.

I've coming to the end of my post-grad, where I'm always in the field/in a lab, so I just cover my hair with a beanie/hat. My new job I won't be able to do so, so I'm a bit stuck. 

The SMP helped a lot IMO - if I was you, I'd consult some ethical, well-known doctors. One that springs to mind is Dr. Lupanzula, in all his patient testimonies they talk about how caring and thoughtful he is, and his work/scar repair is great. 

Chatting to multiple, good surgeons is your best bet. Do you mind me asking what was the initial clinic you went to?

Best of luck, mate. 

8 minutes ago, bonkling said:

Hey mate,

Firstly, I'm really sorry you went through all of this, it truly sounds horrible.

I kind of (not nearly as bad as your experience) know the feeling of something needing to change due to career moves.

I've coming to the end of my post-grad, where I'm always in the field/in a lab, so I just cover my hair with a beanie/hat. My new job I won't be able to do so, so I'm a bit stuck. 

The SMP helped a lot IMO - if I was you, I'd consult some ethical, well-known doctors. One that springs to mind is Dr. Lupanzula, in all his patient testimonies they talk about how caring and thoughtful he is, and his work/scar repair is great. 

Chatting to multiple, good surgeons is your best bet. Do you mind me asking what was the initial clinic you went to?

Best of luck, mate. 

Yeah, I know the feeling regarding the career and appearance. I had to make a move recently and have been fighting a huge uphill battle because of the bad HT. Wish I never did the HT now. However the SMP work was top-notch but still I am having issues.

Edited by russtaman

Hey,

I am really sorry to hear that you had to go through all that.

My personal advice would be to not worry about your scar - it seems to be taking a huge toll on other aspects of your life than it should.

When we usually bald during our 20s and 30s, we often spend loads of money and time trying to fix it, in the end, some of us succeed, some of us don't.

You can try to fix your scar with another repair procedure, but I feel its high time that you move on from all this once that particular effort is done.

In my personal opinion, you don't look bad/odd at all with a shaved head. You could also try sporting a beard.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AltonMeyer said:

Hey,

I am really sorry to hear that you had to go through all that.

My personal advice would be to not worry about your scar - it seems to be taking a huge toll on other aspects of your life than it should.

When we usually bald during our 20s and 30s, we often spend loads of money and time trying to fix it, in the end, some of us succeed, some of us don't.

You can try to fix your scar with another repair procedure, but I feel its high time that you move on from all this once that particular effort is done.

In my personal opinion, you don't look bad/odd at all with a shaved head. You could also try sporting a beard.  

I have to agree we are our own harshest critics. Here is the crazy thing... I actually like the shaved head look for me though. Its just the damn scar is so there and noticeable. It feels like its the subject of everyone in the room whose eye falls on it. The pics really don't convey it. Its more the dark line of the scar than anything. The SMP was such a godsend otherwise.

I agree, the SMP was solid work.

About the scar:

If I were you, I'd consult some good doctors around me to see if it can be camouflaged a little bit better, but if nothing works I'd leave it behind.  

The same amount of time, money and effort can be put into growing a good beard, working out or even on dressing well. The scar doesn't have to be the only thing that holds you behind from living your life.

You might have heard that a lot, but in all seriousness, both the shaved look and the 1mm buzz cut would suit you good. Yes, the scar might stand out a bit, but trust me it doesn't look that bad and certainly, nobody is going to judge you for it. 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, russtaman said:

I have to agree we are our own harshest critics. Here is the crazy thing... I actually like the shaved head look for me though. Its just the damn scar is so there and noticeable. It feels like its the subject of everyone in the room whose eye falls on it. The pics really don't convey it. Its more the dark line of the scar than anything. The SMP was such a godsend otherwise.

About the scar:

If I were you, I'd consult some good doctors around me to see if it can be camouflaged a little bit better, but if nothing works I'd leave it behind.  

The same amount of time, money and effort can be put into growing a good beard, working out or even on dressing well. The scar doesn't have to be the only thing that holds you behind from living your life.

You might have heard that a lot, but in all seriousness, both the shaved look and the 1mm buzz cut would suit you good. Yes, the scar might stand out a bit, but trust me it doesn't look that bad and certainly, nobody is going to judge you for it. 

4 minutes ago, AltonMeyer said:

About the scar:

Thank you, I hope that the laser procedures can still help the dark line. I have one session this Thursday. I'm also consulting another Dr (True/Dorin) specifically for the scar with possible FUE via beard and chest hair. If that can disguise it better...I will be set I think. I'm hoping to just end this nightmare. Some have suggested a plastic surgeon for me for the scar but I'm not sure about that route. If anyone wants an SMP tech recommendation just PM me.

I would consult with Dr Konior too. He is not only a top notch ht surgeon but also a plastic surgeon, so he could give you a really good indication of what is possible here. He is very honest with his assessments so you can be satisfied with the information he provides. You can then put this all behind you and move on with your life.

Good luck

Hi Russtaman,

That's some very sincere words of support you've had there by Altonmeyer.

Having read your story, I do feel for you but you should be confident in the fact that you still have available options.

I agree that the SMP seems top notch. You could have scar revision but your scar doesn't appear to have stretched a great deal, it is what it is, an FUT scar. You maybe should have tried the shaved look prior to going down the HT route or your clinic maybe could have hinted this to you. You appear to have the ideal head shape to suit it, but everything is more clear with the benefit of hindsight.

This should be a lesson to others too, try the shaved look first. After any HT surgery the shaved look may not be so easy to carry off due to a FUT linear scar or in some cases potentially visible FUE scarring.

Moving on, I think you should have your next laser session and see what the result then looks like. It might disguise the scar to a state where no further action is required and you can move on with your new look. We are our worst critics and what you see in front of the mirror under your spotlights is not necessary the same picture a layperson sees on the street.

If you are still not happy then you should consult local renowned plastic surgeons for their advice on revision surgery to determine whether it is indeed a worthy option. There are products on the market relatively cheap that you can try to hide the scar, one product does come to mind, Prosil, a silicone stick that is used to hide scars on the body. It may be worth a try.

As for your hair itself, from what I can see your donor looks good to go for possibly 2500 - 3000 grafts and a further 500 can be harvested from the beard area under your chin. These potential 3500 grafts can be uses to reinforce your hairline, strengthen your mid scalp and add some coverage to your crown area. Once grown out, coupled with the SMP you have already completed, you should appear to have a full set of hair once again and the scar will be confined to history.

I hope that clarifies a few things for you, I wish you all the best.

Edited by Shera
  • Thanks 1