How Do You Know If You're Going Bald and What Are The Treatments?

• Administrators

What were the first signs of hair loss you guys noticed? Also, who was the first person to tell you that you were going bald? I will never forget the first time someone told me that my hairline was receding. I would love to hear the communities input and thoughts on the subject.

How Do You Know If You're Going Bald and What Are The Treatments?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

When I first started going bald, I noticed it was spot forming in the back and I was very depressed. I tried Rogaine for a bit and it seem to be working. But fortunately, I bought into the hype and tried some alternative treatments that ended up causing me to lose not only my hard-earned cash but more of my hair. 

Anybody else? 

Bill

I guess I just noticed gradual temple recession, to the point that I was like, hang-on, has my hair always been like that?

Now it's at the point where it is pretty much making me depressed and super self-conscious, lol.

No one has really told me, other than my dermatologist, I always wear hats, beanies, and use long hair to disguise it - but that is getting very hard now. 

Treatments are fin and minoxidil, seemed to work for a while, but a recent shed has kind of taken away all the progress.

I was swimming at a college party and a guy there was like “dude, you’re getting a spot on the back of your head.” I didn’t believe it. I’d always had the most hair of all of my friends. It was so thick I had to have the barber use thinning shears to taper the top. Sure enough, got home got a hand held mirror to check the back. Son of a...! Jumped on propecia for a few years and it slowed the progress, but didn’t stop it. By the time I was 30 I thought $60 a month was a waste to not regrow hair. Was a solid NW5 by 40.

Edited by Shmiggy

Difficulty styling like I wanted. 

I've always shed a lot, since a child.  I do not put a lot of stock in shedding, but if your caliber drops in what you are shedding, that is a sign too.

I am an online representative for Dr. Raymond Konior who is an elite member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.

View Dr. Konior's Website

View Spanker's Website

I am not a medical professional and my opinions should not be taken as medical advice.

My wife pointed it out to me years back in my rock star hair days coming back from a trip to the far East.............................................................................................................. I nearly had her sectioned!!!