Health concerns.

Hi everybody,

Straight to the point,  I am 50 year old man with health issues.  I suffering from type 2 diabetes which is very well controlled with meds, I also have blood pressure and again its well controlled with meds, i also take medication for acid reflux.

Now as for my hairloss, i having been losing my hair since the age of 23  almost for 27 years, about 14 years ago I Joined a hair loss clinic i won't mention the name. They prescribe propecia along with 12% Minoxidil  it has really slowed my hair loss, at the age of 50 i still have full head of hair. 

But over the last couple years my hairline has deteriorated along with my crown region, it's not bold but it has thinned quite bit. 

So, my question is; with these health issue  that i have, would any surgeon consider me as a candidate for fue, and which surgeon should i seek advice from? 

Thanks 

Of course any good doctor would need to consider your medical history before considering performing a hair transplant procedure on you. However,  whether or not you are a candidate for FUE would have to be determined by the doctor examining your donor area. 

15 minutes ago, Dr. Glenn Charles said:

Of course any good doctor would need to consider your medical history before considering performing a hair transplant procedure on you. However,  whether or not you are a candidate for FUE would have to be determined by the doctor examining your donor area. 

Thanks charles for your  response. 

However, Let's say for argument sake that my donor area was good, would any doctors perform FUE surgery with my health issues?

Thanks.

With all the groups  I've worked during my career  I have yet to encounter any doctor that will not move forward with a hair transplant procedure if/when dealing with the conditions you've listed.  You were specific to mention FUE, but I don't think this is an issue.  FUT, FUE , are just different techniques.  Like Dr. Charles indicated, a lot will depend on what the donor area looks like and the medical history.

Do you take aspirin?  A lot of patients don't think of this as a medication....but it is.  I've seen doctors suspend the procedure because of it.  Typically they would like you to be off 3 days prior to up to 2 weeks prior to the date of the procedure.  

It is important when you visit with the surgeon that you tell him all the medications you are taking.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, MarshallUK said:

Hi 555future,

I had fue last year as a type 2 diabetic and had no issues during or after, no blood pressure problems though hope this helps. 

Hi MarshallUK,

Thanks for responding, may i ask how was your healing process after the surgery? And also was you advised to stop taking your medication for diabetes before the surgery?

Thanks.

I have performed surgery on many patients with controlled (no insulin) type-II diabetes and hypertension. I typically like to speak with the patient's physician before officially scheduling the procedure, ensure they are taking all medications as instructed, I use a little less of any medication which can raise blood pressures (and monitor pressure throughout the day), and really pay attention to how the skin is responding to the density at which we are transplanting; by doing all this, it always seems to work well. I do not believe this would preclude you from FUT or FUE surgery. As Dr. Charles said, have the doctor evaluate to determine that you are a good candidate for FUE in general. 

Best of luck. 

• Like 1

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

1 hour ago, 555future said:

Hi MarshallUK,

Thanks for responding, may i ask how was your healing process after the surgery? And also was you advised to stop taking your medication for diabetes before the surgery?

Thanks.

Healed perfectly no problems what so ever and kept on my meds as usual.  The only thing the doctor wanted to see was my last hba1c test results  but I dont think I would of been rejected just monitored more often, All went fine.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Dr Blake Bloxham said:

I have performed surgery on many patients with controlled (no insulin) type-II diabetes and hypertension. I typically like to speak with the patient's physician before officially scheduling the procedure, ensure they are taking all medications as instructed, I use a little less of any medication which can raise blood pressures (and monitor pressure throughout the day), and really pay attention to how the skin is responding to the density at which we are transplanting; by doing all this, it always seems to work well. I do not believe this would preclude you from FUT or FUE surgery. As Dr. Charles said, have the doctor evaluate to determine that you are a good candidate for FUE in general. 

Best of luck. 

Thanks doc that's very encouraging.

8 minutes ago, MarshallUK said:

Healed perfectly no problems what so ever and kept on my meds as usual.  The only thing the doctor wanted to see was my last hba1c test results  but I dont think I would of been rejected just monitored more often, All went fine.

Okay mate that's useful information thanks.