After a FUE procedure, part of my hair still appears thin under bright lights.

I am glad you brought up the subject, it comes up often.

First problem, you have dark hair and light scalp.  The contrast is such that if you get under intense lighting, you will see right through.  This contrast makes it worse than what it truly is.  By definition, more hair will allow for more density.  But consider the diameter of a hair shaft.  It covers nothing. Tons of grafts and many procedures will help but will not prevent it.  And forget about the sun.  Patients think that a transplant will help avoid this issue.  It doesn't.  

My first suggestion is get sun-block.  The second, avoid looking at yourself in a restroom or areas that have intense lighting otherwise you'll be questioning yourself.

Obviously it depends on the extent of someone's hair loss, but most of us don't get back our original hair density through transplantation. Harsh lighting will always exaggerate the thinner areas. 

At seven months there's still the possibility of further improvement so wait and see before planning further work.

I am an online representative for Farjo Hair Institute

Dr. Bessam Farjo is an esteemed member of the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions shared are my own.

9 hours ago, fatbastard12345 said:

This is 7 months of progress. You can see my scalp under bright lights. This also makes me reluctant to take selfies under the sun. 

Will this improve or will I need a second procedure for further density?

2019-04-29 00.55.23.jpg

You should wait for at least a year for the full density to appear. However, it depends from person to person when the density is fully visible. I got my density after waiting for a year and 4 months at least.

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

9 hours ago, fatbastard12345 said:

This is 7 months of progress. You can see my scalp under bright lights. This also makes me reluctant to take selfies under the sun. 

Will this improve or will I need a second procedure for further density?

2019-04-29 00.55.23.jpg

Please don't jump in for another transplant just yet. You shouldn't go for another procedure so early. You should let the full density come first.

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

• Administrators

You’ve been give excellent information. Reminds me of why this forum is an excellent source of information. Firstly, you’re only at 7 months you have plenty of time to thicken up. Secondly, light skin dark hair contrast will make things appear worse. Lastly, there will always be certain situations that highlight weaknesses.

Hair transplant surgery does not bring back original density. That said, you will continue to improve in the following months stay patient.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

FB, 

How many grafts were transplanted and where? Do you have any "before" pictures and/or immediate post-operative pictures showing where the grafts were placed? 

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

8 hours ago, LaserCap said:

I am glad you brought up the subject, it comes up often.

First problem, you have dark hair and light scalp.  The contrast is such that if you get under intense lighting, you will see right through.  This contrast makes it worse than what it truly is.  By definition, more hair will allow for more density.  But consider the diameter of a hair shaft.  It covers nothing. Tons of grafts and many procedures will help but will not prevent it.  And forget about the sun.  Patients think that a transplant will help avoid this issue.  It doesn't.  

My first suggestion is get sun-block.  The second, avoid looking at yourself in a restroom or areas that have intense lighting otherwise you'll be questioning yourself.

This procedure involved filling in both corners of a Norwood 3. There were more hairs transplanted on one side than the other. The side with more transplanted hairs looks just fine under bright lights. Your answer seems to assume there's nothing transplants can do solve this issue.  

4 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

You’ve been give excellent information. Reminds me of why this forum is an excellent source of information. Firstly, you’re only at 7 months you have plenty of time to thicken up. Secondly, light skin dark hair contrast will make things appear worse. Lastly, there will always be certain situations that highlight weaknesses.

Hair transplant surgery does not bring back original density. That said, you will continue to improve in the following months stay patient.

But I'm not aiming for original density. The opposite side of my head which doesn't appear to be thinning looks just fine under bright lights despite not being of original density. 

8 hours ago, Pete-from-Farjo said:

Obviously it depends on the extent of someone's hair loss, but most of us don't get back our original hair density through transplantation. Harsh lighting will always exaggerate the thinner areas. 

At seven months there's still the possibility of further improvement so wait and see before planning further work.

You don't need original density for your hair to look fine under bright lights. The other side of my transplant looks just fine despite not being of original density.

• Moderators

I've noticed that fluorescent lighting makes hair look more see-through. I hate the lights at my work. If I try to take a selfie in my office I look awful. I don't think you'll ever look completely full under those types of lights.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

2 hours ago, fatbastard12345 said:

This procedure involved filling in both corners of a Norwood 3. There were more hairs transplanted on one side than the other. The side with more transplanted hairs looks just fine under bright lights. Your answer seems to assume there's nothing transplants can do solve this issue.  

Since you brought up the subject of having more density on one side than the other, let's address that first.  This typically happens a lot when you have an older individual that has been combing his hair to the side.  As the hair at the end drops, it helps to cover that corner.  The other always seems to be of more importance to the patient. When this happens, the conversation of working asymmetric comes up.  It is typically best to work both at the same time so this does not become an issue down the road when the patient now wants to comb his hair in a different way, (all the way back, for example)

Transplants are important!  They can help to frame the face and give the ILLUSION of having more hair.  Some doctors are true masters at this.  Some can create the LOOK of some amazing density.  Most doctors believe, at the end of the day, that patients may have 7000+ grafts available lifetime? Say you have an average of 2.2 hairs per graft, this gives you just over 15000 hairs.  This is doing the job 50,000 which is what most believe is the number at which patients start noticing thinning.

• Administrators
3 hours ago, fatbastard12345 said:

But I'm not aiming for original density. The opposite side of my head which doesn't appear to be thinning looks just fine under bright lights despite not being of original density. 

There is still 5 months left, one side of may be growing in slower. This is common, there is nothing really left to do but wait until 12 months. At that point you can re-assess your situation.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.