Should I take finastride?

Drakar

@Drakar

How have the men in your family faired from hair loss? On both sides?

If there is a history of hair loss there, maybe it would be an idea to consider topical finasteride. With a completely reduced risk of any side affects, it may be a good option for you.

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

To what level of hair loss if your dads side? Reasonably conservative or more progressive?

With excessive hair loss apparent in your family, I would suggest that it would be a good idea to begin with preventative medicine. Topical finasteride could even help to give your crown a “boost”. Strengthening any miniaturised hairs and perhaps if you are one of the lucky guys, even promoting some regrowth. 

Wishing you the best brother!

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

Thanks for posting the photos, this helps.  First observation....Dark hair, light scalp.  This contrast is always going to make matters look worse than what they really are.  There are agents out there that seem to adhere to the hair to make it thicker while, at the same time, reduce the contrast.  While you do that.....

The fact is, if you've shown the propensity to lose, you will continue losing.  When? Who knows.  

The second photo you posted shows that pattern of loss, perhaps, seems to be moving from back to front.  You are at a GREAT time to start some type of medical therapy to help you retain and perhaps even enhance miniaturized hair.  This speaks about two types of loss.  The loss you see and the loss you don't see.

The hair that you shed, and you will shed all the hair in your head at intervals. Mind you, not all hair goes away at the same time.  (The follicle gets tired and it needs rest).  That hair will typically return.  The hair that does not return, however, is the one that miniaturizes and eventually disappears.   (Go ahead, go to a mirror and look at the hair on your hairline.  Go to the corners and look carefully.  Do you see some thick and some thinner hairs?).

Propecia, Rogaine, PRP and laser therapy are the only modalities approved/released by the FDA that have anything to do with hair retention.  Propecia being internal, comes with a history.  Read up on it. Talk to your doctor and then decide if you want to make the commitment because, once you do, this is a "for life" medication.  It does not do you any good to start and then stop.  If you stop, you will resume losing hair and, once gone, it will never return.

Perhaps starting with Rogaine and a laser is not a bad idea.  If they work, you may not have to go with Propecia.  Keep photos and look at them every 3-4 months to compare.  If your loss is dramatic, however, perhaps you should consider all of them.  But do something if you value your hair.

The biggest thing to consider, besides what's already been noted is the fact that the donor area is a finite source and no one with an advance pattern has enough hair available to allow for a full set of hair.  Keep you much native hair as you can and leave your donor for the future pending the outcome of medical therapy.

• Like 2

The advice given by these two guys is great if you are losing your hair but I don’t think it’s obvious from the pictures. Depending on where you are located go see one of the recommended physician to get his opinion. There’s a good chance you are good man? Just hard to tell from pics 

@Drakar

Good advice from both 

@LaserCap and @Upshall

I would recommend try Minoxidil 5% - Rogaine foam but topical solution is better as it allows deeper penetration. Apply each night and/or day if you want twice a day as recommended, wait for 5 months or so and see if your condition improves

I am sure it will help based on your situation. Finas and hair transplant are next level steps, just ignore for now as you are in very good condition.