Will You Suffer From Shock Loss If You Have A Hair Transplant?

• Administrators

For those of you who have had hair transplants, did you guys suffer from shock loss? I would love to hear the communities input.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 4/25/2019 at 6:44 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

For those of you who have had hair transplants, did you guys suffer from shock loss? I would love to hear the communities input.

It is normal for patients to suffer from a temporary shock loss after they go through the procedure. Even the shedding of the transplanted follicles could be termed as a form of shock loss. The hair follicles could become thinner or fall off. 

I suffered shock loss too. My donor area had also lost some surrounding hair for some time. However, the shedding has temporary.

We have also seen some patients who grew the hair directly without any shedding of the follicles. Also in some patients we have seen minimal shock loss in the donor area. But I think one must be prepared for the "ugly duckling phase" when one goes for a transplant.

Personal opinion according to what I have experienced and observed.

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

I had 2 transplants in 2011 and 2018 with no shock loss.  First was FUT and 2nd FUE.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

If wrong surgical protocol is used, yes, and the shockloss may not return.  

High surgeon Ethics may prevent such issues.  You really do not suffer from that as it is brutal.  

The shedding of grafts is not related to shock loss but rather transplanted follicles simply going through their respective growth cycles.

Native hair that is in an advanced stage of diffusion is ultimately at the highest risk of shock loss.

Hair is shocked as a result of how it responds to the level of trauma to the scalp from the surgery.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

If you are going to have grafts planted in a diffused area, would it help to get one Fin for a period of time before the procedure? Even if You are not going to stay on it long term?

In other words, just take finasteride before the procedure.

1 hour ago, ndubya said:

If you are going to have grafts planted in a diffused area, would it help to get one Fin for a period of time before the procedure? Even if You are not going to stay on it long term?

In other words, just take finasteride before the procedure.

Finasteride is for the preservation of your pre existing hair. If you do not take Finasteride after the transplantation (if you have a diffused hair loss) then you would surely lose your pre existing hair in the future. Usually the Doctors stop the use of Finasteride and Minoxidil at least 2 months prior to the transplant to have a clear idea of the area that requires new grafts to be planted. 

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

I find that temporary shock loss in the donor -- with both FUT and FUE -- is very common. Thankfully, it is almost universally temporary. Sometimes it can "linger" a bit and make patients nervous, but everything should grow back. Permanent shock loss in the recipient zone should be pretty much avoidable. If you do not work in hair that is inappropriately thick, use small tools, use high magnification, and pump the tissue up with a little saline, then you should significantly decrease your chances of experiencing shock loss. Remember it is surgery and anything can happen, but it is typically avoidable. I also believe trimming the hair helps, but I know others do feel differently. 

• Like 1

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I suffrered pretty bad shock loss to the donor shortly after my procedure . Scared the shit out of me at the time , but was reassured by other members that it was likely temporary and would fully recover , which indeed it did .Shock loss is probably a lot more prevalent than some surgeons would like to admit .

Have come across a few stories where the shock loss was permanent , but fortunately seems to be a fairly rare occurence .

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Shock loss can occur in an untouched area resulting from the overall trauma on the scalp albeit rare.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I had shock loss with my first transplant (FUT, in donor area of scar, and only on 1 side of my scalp)

I didnt have shock loss with my 2nd FUE transplant.

I heard shock loss only happens in less than 10% of patients, and its more common with FUT