Can we quantify the extent of research that a person should go for prior to the decision for a transplantation  procedure? And is all research result yielding?

The major purpose of a cosmetic surgery would be for an individual to have an enhanced look. The earlier one receives a better look, the better. But there are a fair amount of people who research for years altogether regarding the procedure to be done. Sometimes, by the time they get their look change, their age has advanced and they don't really get to enjoy their new hair for most part of their prime. 

Is it indecisiveness, fear of dishonesty or lack of confidence in the industry in general, apart from the financial and time investment, that they get to have such a long period of rigorous researching?

It is obvious that getting the correct surgeon is necessary but how much of a research is really required? And is it more beneficial to invest more time at a single stretch of time for the procedure? Or is it better to keep researching for a longer period of time, all the whole enduring the reasons that the person is researching transplant in the first place?

With the amount of information on the internet and otherwise, it could become overwhelming for a patient to go through with the procedure. However, is there a noble requirement for a cosmetic procedure for certain individuals rather than a compulsion of vanity?

Some researchers are spread across a decade. Does that desire to get the procedure done really last that long? Or does it fade with the time spendlt researching? And does this fact bring about a bitter experience to people?

It is a very materialistic phenomenon - this hair transplant. It does not give instant gratification  and requires such patience in part of the individuals going through it. The procedure itself, the growth spurt, the wait for density and the shedding period - such a hassle! 

And if individuals do wait for a long period of time to just decide whether to opt for the procedure and more importantly with which doctor, does it leave them exasperated?

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

Hi Gabreille,

Firstly, welcome to the forum proper.

Reading your article I wrote the following in a post some time ago, I think it still stands for me.

Some of you should take heart from the many patients including myself and others on this forum who have researched to a point and then 'taken the leap of faith' with a surgeon we believe in and moved upwards and onwards. I know some won't agree with that but one can only do so much research before its time to take action. You see it every day in life, the guys that research and the guys that do!

I think some patients may just research themselves out and completely forget the reasons why they researched in the first place. If you are not 100% in yourself and you see countless examples of people in similar situations to yourself committing to a surgery and walking out the other side feeling brand new then why would you not want a piece of that. What are you waiting for?

There's a small risk it might fail, but if you aren't prepared to take the risk then why waste time researching. Why bother at all?

I suppose you could even relate it to some guys/girls waiting for that perfect partner, time goes by and before they know it, time runs out and they are left all alone. I know in your native India this is a big issue with grooms and brides both having "sell by" dates😀

Edited by Shera
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Shera said:

Hi Gabreille,

Reading your article I wrote the following in a post some time ago, I think it still stands for me.

Some of you should take heart from the many patients including myself and others on this forum who have researched to a point and then 'taken the leap of faith' with a surgeon we believe in and moved upwards and onwards. I know some won't agree with that but one can only do so much research before its time to take action. You see it every day in life, the guys that research and the guys that do!

I think some patients may just research themselves out and completely forget the reasons why they researched in the first place. If you are not 100% in yourself and you see countless examples of people in similar situations to yourself committing to a surgery and walking out the other side feeling brand new then why would you not want a piece of that. What are you waiting for?

There's a small risk it might fail, but if you aren't prepared to take the risk then why waste time researching. Why bother at all?

I suppose you could even relate it to some guys/girls waiting for that perfect partner, time goes by and before they know it, time runs out and they are left all alone. I know in your native India this is a big issue with grooms and brides both having "sell by" dates😀

It is true. In India, people need to be be qualified for marriage. Haha...

I guess you are correct. Not losing oneself and one's meaning for the procedure does make an impact.

• Like 1

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

2 hours ago, Shera said:

Hi Gabreille,

Good point Shera, I have also pointed out in the past that if someone continuously keeps researching without ever pulling the trigger,I would put them into a group who actually aren't actually a  candidate in the first place. 

• Like 1

It depends. I think for younger patients with unstable hair loss there is more to lose. For these patients they need to understand that long term medical management is a necessity in most cases and they also need to find a doctor that is reputable and honest with the patients best intentions in mind for the long term. They also need to accept the fact that there is a possibility of several transplants needed down the line.

For older men with stable loss, as long as they find a good reputable doctor, they are likely set.

Great post @Gabreille Nelson Mukhia

I was thinking about this after reading Spex's descriptions of "bad" patients (one of which was a researcher who constantly questions the credentials of the surgeon he picks, and plays stump-the-chump with him). This contrasts with another "bad" patient who is named the Leap-of-faith member. Someone who just pulls the trigger and goes with it.

My opinion on the matter is this: 

I casually looked at HTs for a year, researched HTs for 6 months, but religiously for 2 months. I learned as much as I could, saw as many results as I could. I did a lot of research before I got my HT scheduled. Now that I participate and am open to learning on this forum, I learn new things all the time. In hindsight, I may call myself a LOFer. And that's the thing, you'll never have (in economics) perfect information, and you'd be a fool to try to know everything before you select a surgeon, let alone go through with it. I think once you can articulate the below points, anything more is only helping you with point 3:

1. Why you want a hair transplant & How you think a HT will benefit you

2. That not all HTs are created equal

3. Why you selected your doc, especially over similar and dissimilar docs

4. You understand the risks involved and are prepared for the journey post op

Great conversation to have. I personally believe in trusting those who went before me (and navigated a safe passage). If I understand 1,2,4, I am making an informed decision, and any highly recommended doc on this site will improve my issue. After seeing so many good HTs from so many docs (even if I haven't seen my own), I'm sure the vast majority of the recommended docs would have done a good result on me anyway. This site is such a good resource that if readers only use it for the recommended docs, they are at least getting a skilled surgeon.

Edited by Lennney
Grammar

If you're thinking of traveling abroad, consider this read: 
Airfare guide