Hair type - long hair after transplant.

Hey all,

Considering the donor comes from the back of ones head, does this mean it will be different to their native front?

As in, would this potentially limit the styling for transplanted hair? Or is it all the same?

I ask as I rarely see patients with long hair, unless it is slicked back.

Thanks all :)

1 hour ago, Greg_Swanson said:

Hey all,

Considering the donor comes from the back of ones head, does this mean it will be different to their native front?

As in, would this potentially limit the styling for transplanted hair? Or is it all the same?

I ask as I rarely see patients with long hair, unless it is slicked back.

Thanks all :)

Hello,

I think it is true that the transplanted hair could look different from the native hair on the frontal zone or the crown also.

No man on this Earth can recreate what God created. They can imitate it though.

The doctors tend to take strong resilient grafts from the donor. They could appear much thicker than the native hair there was. Also, if the inner walls of the graft tissue are damaged by manhandling then the by product hair would be curly and matching to the other hair. Blending would be difficult.

Specially when beard hair or body hair is used, the resulting grafts are different altogether. He beard hair is coarse and do not tend to stick together. The density in the areas where beard hair are transplanted is also not always impressive. Not as impressive as scalp hair. 

They scalp donor usually yield good hair quality which when done properly (during the transplantation) would blend in and look completely natural. 

Although I have noticed that after the shedding phase is over, the new follicles form the roots do take time to gain a good texture after transplantation.

I think that most hair transplant patients keep their hair slicked backwards if the density is not enough. If you have a good density, the hair can be styled as per your wish.

All of the above, I personally feel. I did see that it took time for my transplanted hair to blend in too. I have had 100% scalp donor used.

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

@Greg_Swanson

Many factors come into play when talking about the naturalness of transplanted hair in the hairline. I don’t personally feel that it is due to the quality of the hair that is taken from the donor. Of course in particular cases it could be, but I don’t believe that this is the main concern.

I believe other factors will dictate your styling options. Obviously density is important. To have a natural and age appropriate hairline is essential. Having said that, if your density is on the lower side, your hairline can look too transparent and this can of course limit your styling options. Another hugely important aspect that really separates the good from the great in regards to Drs artistry is the angle of the transplanted hair. The incision sites must be made in a way that allows the hairs direction and angle that it leaves the scalp to be completely natural. From the profile, the hair should be directed forward and with a slight angle from the plane of the scalp. It is such intricacies that will set Drs abilities and results apart. This is also very important in regards to illusion of density, graft management and achieving more with less grafts. This not only leaves extra grafts in reserves, but allows a price conscious patient to have a lower surgery cost.

What is important to remember when looking at patient results, is that once transplant hair grows in, it takes several months before it “matures” to its final characteristics. What do I mean? Transplanted hair will more often than not grow in more coarse and oftentimes somewhat curly for several months before it settles and takes on the calibre of its surrounding native hair. The coarseness after my transplant gave me some curls which was strange but due to both sides these factors I had a thicker appearing hairline. As things settled and my hair in my hairline took its normal characteristics, it also took away some of the appearance of such thick hair.

Beard hair offers good yield but should not be placed in the hairline. Patients are experiencing great results with beard hair and it is a great tool for guys who have experienced more extensive loss.

Body hair is far less reliable and every patient responds differently in terms of growth. Maybe only 25% achieve good growth and I small test of body hair would definitely be recommending before commuting to larger numbers.

Edited by Raphael84

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

I have had 2 transplants totaling 4300 grafts.  I can tell no difference between top and back.  I usually comb to the side with a part on the left, but just recently begun going longer.  I am about 7.5 months since my last transplant.  I am quite pleased at this point and I want to see what it looks like at the 1 year mark.  I really think I have many more options on how I style my hair.  I have a very thick donor area, and it still looks thick.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More