The post hair transplant care is very simple:

1. Spray saline water on your recipient area for every 2 hours periodically for approximately 7 days. The saline water keeps the scalp clean, moisturized and free of infections. It also soothes itching to some extent which one experiences when the skin is exfoliating or healing. Since one is not allowed to wash the scalp or touch it.

2. Take antibiotics, antacids and painkillers for 3 times a day for 7 days.

3. Wash the donor area with Betadine scrub (antiseptic solution) and spray it off with saline water. Apply Fucidin cream after the washing and drying of the donor area.

4. Sleep in the right posture. Usually the mind is aware and the body follows suite. You cannot run the recipient area while sleeping. It can be difficult for patients who have had he frontal as well as the crown area done at the same time.

5. Remain away from dust or polluted areas for at least 7 days. Wear a surgical cap and a loose baseball cap or a bandana for 7 days when leaving an enclosed safe environment.

6. Stay away from pets and children who could accidentally rub the recipient area.

7. Avoid heavy exercises.

8. Avoid staying in a reading position with the head tilted forward. It could cause he anaesthetic fluid to come down towards the face due to gravitation and cause swelling. The swelling shall persist for a day or two if it appears. However, it can be avoided by continuously pushing the fluid away from the center of the eyebrows towards the cheekbones wherein the fluid gets absorbed or distributed this reducing swelling. The swelling is not painful.

9. Head wash should be done after a specified time, approx 7 days.

10. Eat healthy. Have a good intake of proteins.

11. Manage stress. It is not possible to avoid stress but one must learn to prioritize and deflect.

12. Stay happy and share pictures with the doctor everyday or check up with the doctor every day. 

13. Opt for any measure suitable to prevent further progression of baldness on the pre existing hair.

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

Is spraying saline water on recipient area for every 2 hours for approximately 7 days is right thing to do? I have done multiple hair transplants.  So  I asked the doctor who did the latest hair transplant if I should do that as it was recommended by previous doctor he was totally against it and said it could have adverse result.

1 hour ago, spex said:

6. Stay away from pets and children who could accidentally rub the recipient area.

😂

It is true. Haha. One has to be careful right...

1 hour ago, pradeepbr said:

Is spraying saline water on recipient area for every 2 hours for approximately 7 days is right thing to do? I have done multiple hair transplants.  So  I asked the doctor who did the latest hair transplant if I should do that as it was recommended by previous doctor he was totally against it and said it could have adverse result.

What are the adverse effects of the saline spray on the recipient area?

6 hours ago, pradeepbr said:

I am very surprised. It is impossible to have any adverse effects with the use of saline water on your recipient area after the transplantation. In fact it is highly recommended. 

In fact we make sure that the patients don't forget to do so.

• 3 months later...
On 4/21/2019 at 8:21 AM, pradeepbr said:

My doctor also recommended against this, gave me the option to if I wished however they said it appeared to increase the chances of spots appearing on the recipient. I chose not to based upon their advice.

On 7/23/2019 at 4:44 PM, SHIKAHOOKAH said:

my face is pretty swalen after the procedure. It is day 5 now and the swelling is in my eyes nose and temple area making me look like avatar. Any suggestions?

I too have this problem right now is this normal? I’m guessing so as I’m not alone?

On 7/27/2019 at 8:45 AM, Leath123 said:

I too have this problem right now is this normal? I’m guessing so as I’m not alone?

It will move down your face and disappear is a day or so, dont worry.

On 4/20/2019 at 6:38 PM, Gabreille Nelson Mukhia said:

1. Spray saline water on your recipient area for every 2 hours periodically for approximately 7 days. The saline water keeps the scalp clean, moisturized and free of infections. It also soothes itching to some extent which one experiences when the skin is exfoliating or healing. Since one is not allowed to wash the scalp or touch it.

I totally agree that saline spray every 2 hours in the first few days is useful. I do recommend it for 5 days only on both the donor and more importantly recipient areas. It keeps the area clean and avoids scab formation which in turn can reduce the blood flow to the follicles in the immediate post op period. However, I advise that it should be dried using gentle dabbing of the area immediately after as to not have excessive salts building up. I have also come to notice that after 5 days, the saline spray contributes to the itch that starts to develop or at least makes it worse. Therefore I recommend stopping it at day 5. 

2. Take antibiotics, antacids and painkillers for 3 times a day for 7 days.

In my opinion 7 days is a bit too long. In my experience, 3-5 days is more than enough. The use of antibiotics post HT is rather controversial. Scalp blood supply makes it extremely rare for infections to develop, which is a huge relief.

3. Wash the donor area with Betadine scrub (antiseptic solution) and spray it off with saline water. Apply Fucidin cream after the washing and drying of the donor area.

I recommend saline spray on the donor, gentle drying and then an antimicrobial ointment after. 

4. Sleep in the right posture. Usually the mind is aware and the body follows suite. You cannot run the recipient area while sleeping. It can be difficult for patients who have had he frontal as well as the crown area done at the same time.

5. Remain away from dust or polluted areas for at least 7 days. Wear a surgical cap and a loose baseball cap or a bandana for 7 days when leaving an enclosed safe environment.

i like this one!

7. Avoid heavy exercises.

usually for 4 weeks. This also includes swimming pools, saunas, jacuzzis for the same period of time. Sea water swimming can be resumed earlier. 

8. Avoid staying in a reading position with the head tilted forward. It could cause he anaesthetic fluid to come down towards the face due to gravitation and cause swelling. The swelling shall persist for a day or two if it appears. However, it can be avoided by continuously pushing the fluid away from the center of the eyebrows towards the cheekbones wherein the fluid gets absorbed or distributed this reducing swelling. The swelling is not painful.

Very important: Swelling from all the fluids injected can be at its worse during days 2-4. So if the next day you feel and look good, dont rush into leaning forward for hours (laptop, phone etc) for the first 5 days. 

9. Head wash should be done after a specified time, approx 7 days.

I recommend washing the head 24 hours after surgery but in a special, low pressure way without touching the grafts. Normal scrubbing wash on day 10. 

10. Eat healthy. Have a good intake of proteins.

11. Manage stress. It is not possible to avoid stress but one must learn to prioritize and deflect.

12. Stay happy and share pictures with the doctor everyday or check up with the doctor every day. 

13. Opt for any measure suitable to prevent further progression of baldness on the pre existing hair.

Thank you Gabrielle for sharing a rather comprehensive after care instructions. Please allow me to comment on few things in Bold. I really hope that one day we reach a rather universal protocol on this. 

On 4/20/2019 at 6:38 PM, Gabreille Nelson Mukhia said:

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

• Administrators

I never used saline spray either and my grafts grew just fine. Every clinic has their own recommendations, it's best to follow your surgeons instructions.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.