Worried after making a bad mistake

Hi all,

I had a small FUE session done (about 250 grafts, as my surgeon has advised to do this in smaller steps) 8 days prior with PRP.

Tonight, I went out to an event with a few friends. I had about 5 alcoholic drinks, and smoked about 3 cigarettes.

Then, while under the influence, I made a very bad decision and did some cocaine. I did two lines of it.

Up to this point in my healing, I've followed my doctor's instructions and have healed very well. I have ate very healthy, drank lots of water and have gotten lots of sleep/rest (9-10 hours a day).

I know I made a mistake, and I am beating myself up for it. I will not be using recreational drugs or smoking any longer, and will put off my alcohol consumption for another week or two.

Have I seriously damaged my grafts and risked my hair transplant failing? I asked a friend who is a doctor in another field, and he thinks that things should be OK at 8 days post-op. But could I get some advice from the community?

Moving forward, I am being even more careful about post-op care, and trying to be as healthy as I can. 

I hope I haven't hurt my grafts beyond the point of return. Thank you.

I dont think anyone can give you a direct answer because something like this hasnt been specifically studied. I'm no doctor but I'll add some info that may be helpful. I've read grafts start to re-establish their blood supply around 3 days and fully vascularize by about a week. I think doctors recommend not drinking a few days before and after surgery because it can thin the blood and cause excessive bleeding. If I had to guess I'd say you probably didnt do damage or if there was any it was minimal. I know it really sucks but you'll just have to wait and see what happens with your growth. Worst case scenario, if there was any damage, it was only a partial amount of the 250 grafts which isn't a high number at all considering you likely have thousands in your donor bank.

I would try not to worry about it anymore (easier said than done, I know first hand) and continue your healthy lifestyle. Good luck

LOL, alcohol, drugs and smoking cause things like dehydration in your body overall & poor blood flow - just obvious factors that could adversely affect graft survival and growth - just because grafts are permanently embedded does not guarantee they'll grow if not cared for properly post op

Edited by home1212

8 hours ago, home1212 said:

LOL, alcohol, drugs and smoking cause things like dehydration in your body overall & poor blood flow - just obvious factors that could adversely affect graft survival and growth - just because grafts are permanently embedded does not guarantee they'll grow if not cared for properly post op

Thanks home1212

Do you think a one time insult would have a huge effect then? 

Again, I regret it. Back to a healthy lifestyle now for the rest of my post-op recovery.

8 hours ago, worriedfue said:

Thanks home1212

Do you think a one time insult would have a huge effect then? 

Again, I regret it. Back to a healthy lifestyle now for the rest of my post-op recovery.

I don't think you should worry at all for a one time deal, maybe if it was a daily thing over an extended period of time it may have some adverse effect, but you're fine man! best of luck and heal well.

Edited by home1212

On 4/20/2019 at 8:57 AM, worriedfue said:

Hi all,

I had a small FUE session done (about 250 grafts, as my surgeon has advised to do this in smaller steps) 8 days prior with PRP.

Tonight, I went out to an event with a few friends. I had about 5 alcoholic drinks, and smoked about 3 cigarettes.

Then, while under the influence, I made a very bad decision and did some cocaine. I did two lines of it.

Up to this point in my healing, I've followed my doctor's instructions and have healed very well. I have ate very healthy, drank lots of water and have gotten lots of sleep/rest (9-10 hours a day).

I know I made a mistake, and I am beating myself up for it. I will not be using recreational drugs or smoking any longer, and will put off my alcohol consumption for another week or two.

Have I seriously damaged my grafts and risked my hair transplant failing? I asked a friend who is a doctor in another field, and he thinks that things should be OK at 8 days post-op. But could I get some advice from the community?

Moving forward, I am being even more careful about post-op care, and trying to be as healthy as I can. 

I hope I haven't hurt my grafts beyond the point of return. Thank you.

Your transplanted grafts should be fine. It is already 8 days post op. Don't beat yourself over it. Nothing adverse is going to happen due to it.

Cheers...

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ