Should you Have A Hair Transplant Without Propecia?

• Administrators

What do you guys think?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

If you've shown the propensity to lose, you will continue losing hair.  If you are to the point of moving forward with a hair transplant it is because there is, perhaps, a great deal of loss.  So you move forward and have it done.  You forgo all the doctor discussed about medical therapy, including Propecia.  and say you worked the temporal points and the crown.  10 years later you'll look awesome with two horns worth of hair in the corners and an island worth of hair in the crown.

Offense and Defense.  That's what is all about.  Medical therapy, in this case is the defense you need to help retain the native hair.  And, if you do retain, then you can consider transplants.  It is questionable, if meds don't work, to consider moving forward with a transplant procedure. Why?  Because of the donor area.

The donor is very important. It is finite. You truly need to be judicious with your grafts.  Once gone, they will not replenish.  Typically, if you can retain any of the native hair you have. that will eventually be key as to what your results will be.

Fortunately there are therapies out there, other than Propecia that can help.  Rogaine, PRP, and laser.  These work in different ways and are thus synergistic.  But, if you do experience a side effect with any of them, do the others! But do something!

• Like 1

Finasteride is such a controversial topic.

I think according to my experience with different people who have been taking this medication, it is very subjective from person to person.

1. People could actually experience side effects. They could just leave the medication  and prepare themselves for a future procedure if required.

2. People could have psychogenic experiences of side effects. They can go for the sperm count tests and other necessary tests. They could also discontinue with the medication. However being aware of the future requirement for the procedure.

3. People who have no side effects could obviously continue with the medicine until they want hair on their scalp.

4. People who are confused and are not sure of being committed to the medication could altogether avoid transplant as well. Baldness is progressive. It is a choice for the first time (especially at a young age). As baldness progresses and the non transplanted hair start to disappear, the second transplant becomes a necessity.

I think what people need to be is - more decisive. 

So many people are so scared of Finasteride and have such strong feelings against it.

Finasteride has been a life saver for me though.

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

• Administrators

Great post you guys. Yes, it’s important to remember that everyone is different. Some experience side effects like myself, but many don’t. That’s why I always tell guys to try it. Some really benefit from the medication.

• Thanks 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

14 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

What do you guys think?

The hair post the frontal zone, especially in the crown and the temporal humps are being saved in my case due to the use of Finasteride alone. 

I feel that this medicine is so important and yet so misunderstood in so many ways. 

15557735443459005893550352503146.jpg

15557735915564836741569655667378.jpg

1 minute ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Great post you guys. Yes, it’s important to remember that everyone is different. Some experience side effects like myself, but many don’t. That’s why I always tell guys to try it. Some really benefit from the medication.

What do you do to save your pre existing hair sir? 

• Administrators
4 minutes ago, Gabreille Nelson Mukhia said:

What do you do to save your pre existing hair sir? 

I take minoxidil and Ketoconazole shampoo. 

View my thread

2 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I take minoxidil and Ketoconazole shampoo. 

Okay. 

Does Minoxidil really help? It does not retain hair though, isn't it? And isn't Ketoconazole for dandruff?

Recently I saw a post where you also were thinking of PRP right? I have seen multitudes of people getting prp done. Some have responded well, some moderate and some not at all. I, for myself never got prp done because I hate needles. 

Do you still experience more hair loss sir? 

• Administrators
1 minute ago, Gabreille Nelson Mukhia said:

Okay. 

Does Minoxidil really help? It does not retain hair though, isn't it? And isn't Ketoconazole for dandruff?

Recently I saw a post where you also were thinking of PRP right? I have seen multitudes of people getting prp done. Some have responded well, some moderate and some not at all. I, for myself never got prp done because I hate needles. 

Do you still experience more hair loss sir? 

Not really to be honest. I was almost completely bald before my procedures. So, in my particular case I’m only trying to retain a little bit of hair. Keto shampoo has been shown to be somewhat effective.

View my thread

3 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Not really to be honest. I was almost completely bald before my procedures. So, in my particular case I’m only trying to retain a little bit of hair. Keto shampoo has been shown to be somewhat effective.

Okay. It is difficult isn't it? Having to find all of these substitutes and dealing with side effects of medicines. 

It's a bummer that you experienced side effects with Finax. But then again if there is not much to saved then well!!!

• Moderators

I stopped taking it about 10 years ago because (1) I knew I would need body hair grafts and the propecia was thinning my body hair. (2) I didn't want to be taking daily medication for 30 or 40 years. Even if you don't notice any side effects, that doesn't mean your body isn't slowly experiencing them. You don't know what it might be doing to your organs slowly over a long period of time.

A few years ago, my friends mother was dying and was said to be about to pass away at any time, so they took her off of all of her medications to just let her die and within the next few days she was doing much better. She ended up living several more years without any medication. In another case I had a relative who took aspirin every day for years to thin the blood to prevent heart problems. She ended up dying of kidney failure from years of taking aspirin. I don't take any medication on a regular basis at all, so taking propecia really bothered me as it's something I just don't want to be doing.

These days there are a number of clinics obtaining grafts from both the head and the body. I don't think it's worth it to be taking propecia once you have a hair transplant if you have utilized beard or chest grafts as in my experience propecia has a negative effect on those grafts.

Edited by BeHappy

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Hello Everyone, 

Great topic this and fits into my situation perfectly, i am on the waiting list for Mr freitas in Spain and i was to be on propecia for a year in the build up to surgery. I had been on it 8 months before i got constant ball ache at 1mg every day. I didnt really see any results on my hairline and temple area at all which is where i have been going from an NW2 towards NW3 in a few years time. I have since discontinued because it is not worth being woken up in the middle of the night with stinging ball pains that feel like shocks.

So in that sense i am more inclined to go towards Nizoral and minoxidil twice a day. What is the feedback from RU58841? - i have used this for 6 months once a day, but again didnt see a progression. It looks like i will go down the road of others on here in topping up with hairtransplants as the years go on unless something doesn't come along. 

Primarily, I would just like to thank and congratulate @Melvin-Moderatorfor such a solid video.

Melvin, without going into too much detail, I could see how personal the subject is to you. You represented it perfectly. Well done! I know it wasn't the easiest video. You covered many points and individuals will take huge value from you putting yourself out there and representing the community. Great job. Just like me, I can see how hair loss has has an impact on you and you have found a great way to give back. By the way, your hair looks great.

@LaserCap Nice post!

@BeHappy I would have to agree. NOBODY knows what 40 years of finasteride in the body looks like. I genuinely believe that the entire pharmaceutical industry is questionable. The body is not designed to digest and constantly tolerate foreign pills/influences/bodies. It is just not natural. So much prescribed medication may stop intended symptoms, but in doing so it create so many other side effects in the body. Most are not as obvious or ego affecting as lack of libido and erection issues so everybody tends to choose to ignore them, but most non essential medication is not a great option for homeostasis.

Hair loss is a bitch. We do what we have to, in order to combat it. I have ultimate respect for that. But we should all attempt to make the healthiest lifestyle choices to control many other aspects of our lives. This would encourage this community to progress and succeed in so many aspects of life.

Wishing everybody the best!

Patient Advisor for Dr. Bisanga - BHR Clinic 

ian@bhrclinic.com   -    BHR YouTube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcH4PY1OxoYFwSDKzAkZRww

I am not a medical professional and my words should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.

• Administrators
13 hours ago, Raphael84 said:

Primarily, I would just like to thank and congratulate @Melvin-Moderatorfor such a solid video.

Melvin, without going into too much detail, I could see how personal the subject is to you. You represented it perfectly. Well done! I know it wasn't the easiest video. You covered many points and individuals will take huge value from you putting yourself out there and representing the community. Great job. Just like me, I can see how hair loss has has an impact on you and you have found a great way to give back. By the way, your hair looks great.

@LaserCap Nice post!

@BeHappy I would have to agree. NOBODY knows what 40 years of finasteride in the body looks like. I genuinely believe that the entire pharmaceutical industry is questionable. The body is not designed to digest and constantly tolerate foreign pills/influences/bodies. It is just not natural. So much prescribed medication may stop intended symptoms, but in doing so it create so many other side effects in the body. Most are not as obvious or ego affecting as lack of libido and erection issues so everybody tends to choose to ignore them, but most non essential medication is not a great option for homeostasis.

Hair loss is a bitch. We do what we have to, in order to combat it. I have ultimate respect for that. But we should all attempt to make the healthiest lifestyle choices to control many other aspects of our lives. This would encourage this community to progress and succeed in so many aspects of life.

Wishing everybody the best!

Thanks Raphael🙏🏼 It’s definitely an important topic. Although, the drug gave me side effects, there are so many that really benefit from it. I’m just one of the unlucky guys 😕 

View my thread