Should I Go To A Cheap Hair Transplant Clinic?

• Administrators

I get this question a lot, the truth is that there are so many bad hair transplant clinics that are charging virtually nothing, but leaving patients scarred with no options. However, there are also some hidden gems that are charging patients a reasonable fee and producing excellent results. What does the community think?

Should I Go To  A Cheap Hair Transplant Clinic?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

There is a reason behind the statement, "You get what you paid for".

I have found the number one reason that clinics cut prices is because it's the fastest way to get patients through their front door.  They lack consistent good results and also lack a stable patient referral base so they are willing to do almost anything to get business.

There is a clinic in my area who does this type of marketing...they consistently produce horrible results and have been around for years because they continue to lure unsuspecting individuals with their low pricing.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Nice topic Melvin. I certainly deal with a lot of “victims” of black market HT. Just few things that I gathered from my direct interaction with clients coming to us for some help:

1. They bombard you with calls and texts before booking, but once you have the procedure, no follow up exists. Clients even call us to ask about aftercare instructions, which you would think should be discussed after having any procedure.

2. It is almost exclusively run by unlicensed techs.

3. Exaggerated number of follicles promised and all in one day sessions with multiple patients in the same day. Says a lot about quality control.

4. They attract clients with attractive prices, BUT most of them end up forcing them to buy PRP kits for the full year, products, shampoos etc that will cost more than the actual procedure. So clients end up paying double the advertised price. 

4. They are creative in naming techniques. By that, I dont mean FUT or FUE (since they only do FUE anyway). But it’s also giving names such as ICE FUE, CHOI FUE, Sapphire FUE, DHI, etc etc. There is a new name almost daily. A lot of people fall for names thinking that this is the latest technology. They even claim to have robots doing the surgery despite the fact that their prices dont even cover the kit price of the robot per surgery. 

At the end of the day, you would hardly remember the price you paid for a good procedure, but you will remember the price of a bad one!

• Like 3

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

• Administrators

Awesome input, I’m glad we are having this discussion it’s certainly important.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 4/19/2019 at 8:53 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

I get this question a lot, the truth is that there are so many bad hair transplant clinics that are charging virtually nothing, but leaving patients scarred with no options. However, there are also some hidden gems that are charging patients a reasonable fee and producing excellent results. What does the community think?

Noooo... never never never... they might probably end up killing you...

I don't think that a clinic charging less price is genuine at all. I live in India. Say no to low price clinics. To get anything done from them will probably cost you your mental peace and aesthetics. 

When it comes to your body and health, go premium... always...

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

On 4/19/2019 at 4:23 PM, Melvin-Moderator said:

Well I think I can comment on this thread as I went to a cheap clinic in Turkey 4.5 years ago and only paid 1750 pounds for 4200 FUE grafts including 3 nights hotel and airport transfers , I have had a great result considering my starting point NW 5-6 ..I often think was I just lucky or are there unknown clinics in Turkey turning out similar results hard to know for sure I guess.

6 hours ago, Gabreille Nelson Mukhia said:

Noooo... never never never... they might probably end up killing you...

I don't think that a clinic charging less price is genuine at all. I live in India. Say no to low price clinics. To get anything done from them will probably cost you your mental peace and aesthetics. 

When it comes to your body and health, go premium... always...

I spoke to another member about this recently, and he said that there are low price clinics in India that are ruining lives. I can link the videos, but I think we all know it when we see it. I don't want to scare new members. The recommended docs on this site all have track records, so I think new patients should check out the docs mentioned here, and not consider price as the first place to look.

To counter and elaborate on @gillenator and @Gabreille Nelson Mukhia's points about cost, and @Mick50's experience: You get what you pay for is certainly true for some things, but context is important. My procedure, here in California USA would have been approximately $17,000 USD. A low cost clinic in California would have been $10,000. In Turkey and India, this is an extremely high cost clinic for the procedure I got. In India, when members (especially those who live in India!) say that there are low cost clinics, I think it means something different than what we in USA and Europe think of as low cost clinics. Mick may have had a low cost procedure, but know that Turkish Lira has fluctuated greatly in that time (I can't see it since it's very difficult to see what it was 5 years ago - but Lira has appreciated 40% in last 12 months!). Mick's procedure (likely) wasn't unheard of in terms of low cost. But we should consider location.

I view HTs as an art procedure similar to tattoos. Artist's skill matters. There are tattoo artists in Italy and Thailand who are talented, more talented than their peers in America, but charge less due to economic factors in their respective locations. Having said that, if I know a tattoo costs $1,000, but some tattoo "artist" will only charge $100, I know to stay away. He may be using me as a canvas to practice on, and I will live with his inexperienced scratches for life.

If you're thinking of traveling abroad, consider this read: 
Airfare guide

Price and quality are surely directly proportional, but as we stay in statistics this means that quality improves with higher price "if all other factors are the same"

Thing is, all factors are never the same, like really never.

Truth is, there is likely dozen of good HT clinics out there that we know nothing in this forum for example. I myself knew few clinics in middle east (not Turkey) that  produces better results than "good but not great" clinic in Europe or US but for about half the price. 

The top clinics in a developing country is likely producing better and cheaper results than average one in a rich country, even better follow up etc. 

Marketing is also an issue, there is truly hidden gems who fail to market themselves well

Also FUT vs FUE?  A new young doctor will also likely charge less, despite being very good one

Obviously, a clinic with unlicensed technicians etc shouldn't be on your list, but this is usually the bad examples that people want to always point to

The bottom line is it is just not about the price , it is about doing your research right and doing the right math etc. 

It is obviously easier when you aren't on a tight budget, but you can always save some money with some work and going the extra mile.

• Like 1

Always a good topic. Very good replies as well. 

As a few of the other doctors have pointed out, we are dealing with an influx of repair cases right now from "cheap" clinics. The ISHRS, as Dr. Barghouthi alluded to, has labeled this phenomenon the hair transplant "black market;" this label usually applies to a new, start-up, tech-run, FUE-only clinic. They pull out all the stops when it comes to luring patients in and then leave them out in the cold if and when things go wrong. Now, I think it is important not to stereotype or imply that paying a lot of money for a procedure automatically equates to a good result; however, I think almost any established clinic today can share at least a few sad stories of patients they have met who have been forever impacted by this new model. It is hurting patients and it gives the entire field a black eye. 

Something else patients MUST remember too -- and I do not think I saw it mentioned here previously: remember that the donor area is a very finite resource. You are only gifted with a certain number of scalp grafts in the donor area and once they are gone, you're done. One big FUE pass from a tech clinic and you can wipe out the entire donor. I have seen it with my own two eyes multiple times. And let me tell you, it is awful having to tell these patients who are there for repair that there is nothing you can do aside from removing grafts and referring to a good SMP practice (shout out to Erik at Ahead Ink!) because the "bank" is empty. 

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

It is indeed a sad situation to break such bad news about the donor being depleted forever. What I find surprising is the number of times such patients are clueless about the finite nature of their donor. They often think that in few years they can come back and get it done. It just tells you what sort of consultation took place in such “shops”

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

On 4/20/2019 at 7:43 PM, Mick50 said:

Well I think I can comment on this thread as I went to a cheap clinic in Turkey 4.5 years ago and only paid 1750 pounds for 4200 FUE grafts including 3 nights hotel and airport transfers , I have had a great result considering my starting point NW 5-6 ..I often think was I just lucky or are there unknown clinics in Turkey turning out similar results hard to know for sure I guess.

I think as Dr Bloxham has pointed out donor management is one of the main differences between a no name clinic in Turkey and a reputable Doctor. I have  seen a crazy amounts of grafts used to restore a hair-line on guys in there mid twenties   ,the pervading philosophy seems to be well I won't care about my hair when I'm 50 etc which is complete and utter nonsense, if it bothers you enough to go through the hassle of a transplant when you're  young take it from me it will bother you when you're older. 

Just to add regarding my above post ,I have always advised going to a recommended clinic even though I did not,I was lucky, but no way I would do the same if I decide to have a second transplant  

Edited by Mick50

I would concur with that...getting older does not equate with caring less about hair loss!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY