Which medication are you taking in addition with or waiting for a hair transplant?

Hello, 

I am due to have a hair transplant with Dr freitas at the end of the year and i had been on propecia for 9 months until i started getting horrible ball ache pains which used to wake me up from my sleep. Most transplant companies always ask you to take propecia but i have resorted to RU58841/minoxidil and derma rolling. I just wanted to know what other people are taking or doing in combination and if they had to drop any medication due to side effects?

Thanks

Adam 

Unfortunately Propecia, Rogaine, PRP and laser are the only FDA approved/released meds to help with retention and enhancement of native hair.  The mechanism of action is different for each and thus, there is synergism when used simultaneously.  When Merck's patent expired, doctors started writing scripts for 5mg Propecia and asking patients to quarter the pill.  There is documented fact that there is a very small percentage of side effects.  With Dutesteride, if you are doing 5mg, you are increasing the potential of side effects by 5 fold.  Hopefully you are quartering the pill as well?  Perhaps taking the med every other day could help.

4 hours ago, spex said:

Same you are not able to take finasteride as this is the main weapon against progressive hair loss. I was on it 17 years then moved up to Dutasterdie. You could look into LLLT or PRP to help keep the wolves at the door. I endorse Hair Restore Labs shampoo which is another option to help too against DHT . 

Regards

Spex

Hi Spex, thanks for the response, i am currently using nizoral 2%. I will look in your shampoo,  i am not really interested in regrowing hair right now, anything to slow the process down or maintain will be great. I was about to say, the sides i got from taking DUT for a week were horrible, i couldnt sleep, terrible headaches, i honestly wouldnt alow my body to touch DUT but i can understand if it works for someone else. I never got ball ache before, but it doesnt seem to be going away for me sadly. 

2 hours ago, LaserCap said:

Unfortunately Propecia, Rogaine, PRP and laser are the only FDA approved/released meds to help with retention and enhancement of native hair.  The mechanism of action is different for each and thus, there is synergism when used simultaneously.  When Merck's patent expired, doctors started writing scripts for 5mg Propecia and asking patients to quarter the pill.  There is documented fact that there is a very small percentage of side effects.  With Dutesteride, if you are doing 5mg, you are increasing the potential of side effects by 5 fold.  Hopefully you are quartering the pill as well?  Perhaps taking the med every other day could help.

I agree, i think 5mg DUT is very aggressive, i got sides by taking DUT for just a month and will never take it again, i do not believe the side effect percentage, i think its far more than people believe but less than 50%, i have seen far to many people complaining over the years for it to be just 15% of patients or under. 

8 hours ago, spex said:

Same you are not able to take finasteride as this is the main weapon against progressive hair loss. I was on it 17 years then moved up to Dutasterdie. You could look into LLLT or PRP to help keep the wolves at the door. I endorse Hair Restore Labs shampoo which is another option to help too against DHT . 

Regards

Spex

You endorse hair restore labs shampoo but which clinically proven ingredients does it contain that help decrease dht as u claim?

my journey, everything im doing is in this thread.

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/52518-growing-hair-back-the-big-3-journey/

Link to what I did to grow my hair back without a transplant. 2 year update. 

8 hours ago, Shifty said:

my journey, everything im doing is in this thread.

https://www.hairrestorationnetwork.com/topic/52518-growing-hair-back-the-big-3-journey/

Hi Shifty, i am very happy for your story, the results are fantastic, i was on fin for 8 months and didnt get those results, some respond some dont, but more importantly, the side and ball ache was too much for me to put up with, i will stick with RU58841 mixed with minoxidil, derma rollar and nizoral 2% for 6 months and see how i go. I also take biotin. I derma roller every day for the minoxidil, due think this is needed, or would you recommend putting it on after showering?

15 hours ago, Adam87 said:

Hi Shifty, i am very happy for your story, the results are fantastic, i was on fin for 8 months and didnt get those results, some respond some dont, but more importantly, the side and ball ache was too much for me to put up with, i will stick with RU58841 mixed with minoxidil, derma rollar and nizoral 2% for 6 months and see how i go. I also take biotin. I derma roller every day for the minoxidil, due think this is needed, or would you recommend putting it on after showering?

I only derma Mondays and Thursdays and I do not use minox on those nights 

• Like 1

Link to what I did to grow my hair back without a transplant. 2 year update. 

20 hours ago, PlzRespond said:

De Freitas does some amazing work. How long did u have to wait for the procedure?

I am currently on a very long waiting list, i was told 18 months, i am 2 months into this, but i also put myself on the emergency list, so they said there is a very good chance i will be called at short notice by the end of the year. I rate him highly to, my first choice, i am a NW2 going to NW3 over time and his hairline work and temple is outstanding. 

4 hours ago, Shifty said:

I only derma Mondays and Thursdays and I do not use minox on those nights 

Much appreciated, i think over derma rolling and putting minox on your head can make your scalp flaky and irritable. I will only derm 3 times a week.