Few simple questions

I’ve been going back and fourth regarding if I should get a transplant.  Fears of Will I like it, will it look natural, how will my friends and family react to it always run through my mind.   I know I really want it and need it but also these fears are always getting in the way of me pulling the trigger.

so a few questions for you guys,

1- how did your friends/family react?

2-how did it change your life?

3- was it worth it/ do you regret it?

if anyone who has had one could chime in I would appreciate it.  

Thanks 

Good friends and family should understand that the hair loss bothers you and that you are trying to do something about it.. In many cases it can give a person more self confidence and higher self esteem. Spending money on something so you can feel better about yourself is always worth it. 

• Thanks 1

Continue to research and get answers to your questions especially those that tend to raise fear or doubt.

At some point you will feel informed well enough to make a decision either way as long as you understand that it is indeed a personal decision and one that only you can make for yourself.

• Thanks 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I just had a FUT transplant for the first time a week ago. Like you, I was also on the fence about it for a while before pulling the trigger and had mixed feelings up until the day of my surgery.

I’ve been really pleasantly surprised by how accepting my family and the friends I’ve told have been so far. My mom was a little shocked at first, but even she is a little excited to see how good the work looks already. 

Depending on your level of loss and the type of surgery, you also might be able to get away with not telling anyone. I mostly just had a receding hairline and I’m amazed by how well I’m able to conceal it, just a week in.

Can’t say for sure if it’s worth it or not because I have many months of growing ahead, but I have a very good feeling about it so far.

I highly recommend doing lots of research and only moving forward with whomever you consider to be the best hair surgeon in the world. When you go with one of the very best, you’re virtually guaranteed a natural looking result.

Edited by RecessionProof
  • Thanks 1

About year ago i went through the same dilemma and decided to do it (it was a difficult decision to make and i thought about it for couple of years before i pulled the trigger and i am glad I did it). So, here are my answers

- Only close family/friends knew about it and others did not notice. After the growth, others just said I look good and younger 

- One thing for sure that is improved is my self confidence, before the surgery looking at mirror made me sad (sometimes) and wish I could have done something. After, I feel I gained a lot of confidence and more peaceful. I got married as well, so all my wedding pics are with hair :P 

- I went with FUE and researched before I took the decision. I went with Dr. Gabel, and it was like I did not have surgery .. my donor area is no different and my hairline was natural. I went for hair cut 6 times after the surgery and not even one barber noticed (I asked everyone if they noticed it and all said no). Was it worth it - I would say, YES. For the effort, the result is pretty great for me. No regrets for me. I would say pick a experienced doctor (I recommend Dr. Gabel) or other reputable doctors and you are in safe hands :)

I can answer any questions you may have, but make a informed decision with ample research 

• Thanks 1

I find that patients are always understandably nervous as to how friends and family will react. However, I cannot think of one instance where they were not very supportive and typically fascinated by the process. Good friends and family just want you to be happy; once they understand that it is a good solution and it will help you, they are generally very supportive of a hair transplant. In fact, we often later see those very friends and family members for consults and surgeries once they see how it transformed their own loved ones. 

• Thanks 1

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

On 4/16/2019 at 10:09 AM, Recedinggenes said:

1. My friends and family were fascinated, supportive, and very happy for me. In fact, even the one friend who I thought would be the most judgmental (she scoffs at anyone who does any type of cosmetic procedure) was extremely happy for me. 

2. It really supported me in my confidence - and really saves me tons of time in terms of fixing my hair... No more strategically placing all the hairs so as to disguise the receding hairline. 

3. 100% worth it and don't regret it at all. However, there are times when I see people like Justin Theroux and his killer, quite mature hairline and I get a tad envious of the look ;)

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56