Progress Update - 3 months: Let it groooow

I haven't updated much in the last month as in all honesty, the hair transplant has been at the back of my mind, which is a really good thing. The hair requires so little 'maintenance' that I'm fully back to just going about my normal life / exercise routine. There are a few things I make sure to do though:

• I always wear a cap in the sun - I think Dr D said 'no sun exposure for 2 months' but there's no need to really get it in the sun anyway so I'm going to keep it out for another month still. Lots of research I've seen says to wait 4 months and that's fine with me, I don't really want a sunburnt head in any month.
  • I still wash the hair with the gentle Sebamed shampoo everyday, and I've just bought the 'anti-hairloss' version to try out. I've been in the hair restoration game long enough to know that shampoos do little more than reset the pH balance of your scalp / nourish the hair but I'll give it a shot anyway as it says it can help blood circulation on the scalp
  • I find it's a little itchy sometimes - maybe some of those new hairs coming though? I try to just gently rub it with the pad of my finger rather than using my nails (not that I have any nails left after Stranger Things Season 3 :o)
  • As per usual, still using Regaine 2 x per day, and taking my cut-up into quarters Proscar pill each day
  • Apart from that, life with my head is as per usual

Muzzafer told me not to shave the recipient area with a hair trimmer as the trimmer can yank out some of the hairs if it's not properly oiled. I bought a new shaver recently and decided to just go ahead gently with the hair, even though I was a couple of weeks off three months. It created a far more even look and I really don't think it would have done any damage at all. I'm going to keep shaving for the next few weeks, hopefully as I see some of the new hairs begin to sprout, then I'll let it all grow in together (trying to avoid too much of an ugly ducking phase!)

In terms of how it's growing...it's hard to say. As I see and touch it everyday, I see very little growth but I'm with my parents this weekend who told me they see a real difference and that the crown of my head is "covered in hair though it's soft 'baby' hair for now". If I run my hand over my head, I can feel different lengths and textures, so something is definitely happening up there, though I wasn't expecting much to begin growing just yet. However, from the 3 / 4 month mark, I'm hoping to start seeing something happening!

I really don't pay any attention to my donor area, though I'm pleased with how this looks. The only thing I'm currently not keen on is the difference in hair density on the back of my head - the donor area is now slightly thinner (but I'm happy with all the hair there) - then there's a 'ring' of thicker, natural hair above that, then you get to the recipient area. I hope this all kind of evens out in the end (especially when I get a decent haircut) but if not then at least I can extract those thicker hairs for another transplant if I want. 

Some pictures below - FYI I know there's a red spot on the crown of my head. I think it's always been there but has been feeling a bit sensitive lately - think I caught it with the shaver (hope you weren't eating when you read that!)

Donor area, feat. The Ring

IMG_4938.thumb.jpg.4ff2c17594ad2f4b9dde6f0352a629b3.jpg

Looking to the left

IMG_4939.thumb.jpg.c60706c8142957cc6e09a0018d5ffa5e.jpg

Looking for chocolate biscuits

IMG_4940.thumb.jpg.604f94299a947214e20fb5770bf0c91c.jpg

Looking down

IMG_4943.thumb.jpg.f99ecc74a0ea6a1627ba168a0480c92b.jpg

The Crown feat. the artist formally known as The Spot

IMG_4936.thumb.jpg.378aa8a36f14dc3b9a32e40678bc88d6.jpg

Close up

IMG_4942.thumb.jpg.39d74f33b0539430d2a6d1192e7b63d0.jpg

Edited by AndersLondon
  • Like 2

Big difference from your original photos on page 1!  What length do you plan to keep your hair at in the end?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, s14a said:

Big difference from your original photos on page 1!  What length do you plan to keep your hair at in the end?

Thanks, I agree - it's slowly taking shape... At the end, I still plan to keep my hair short but not shaved like it is now. Something like the picture below is what I'm aiming for...!

1226283885_Screenshot2019-07-12at13_36_21.png.b72a79ada4b21711b32a62c2f8bbfb7e.png

11 minutes ago, shookwon33 said:

Do you use any conditioner when you shower after shampoo ?

At the moment I don’t - just the shampoo. But I probably will when the hair is a bit longer. Something to strengthen / thicken the hairs maybe...

Looks good, your hairline does look a bit like Adam Levine’s (I think that’s the pic you quoted ;)).

do you have any flaking or redness with the itching? Is the itching only in the recipient areas?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jj51702 said:

Looks good, your hairline does look a bit like Adam Levine’s (I think that’s the pic you quoted ;)).

do you have any flaking or redness with the itching? Is the itching only in the recipient areas?

Wow, cracking eye for a hairline - I want you on my pub quiz team! Ideally I'll morph directly into Adam Levine....and lose 20 lbs! 

No flaking or redness really - I think the donor area is still a bit red but nothing noticable. The donor area itches as well as the recipient area - but it's not something that bothers me. Usually after a shower / hairwash it doesn't itch so maybe it's just dead skin cells begging to be washed away....

7 hours ago, CosmoKramer said:

Nice progress update! 

The hair in your temples looks to have really filled-in nicely at this early stage. 👍🏻

Thanks mate! I'm pleased to see something happening at this early stage and I'm looking forward to seeing what'll happen in the next few months!!