6 hours ago, Moad1299 said:

Good luck man looks good. 

Had mine done exactly a week after yours 3991 grafts with Dr Demirsoy

Very detailed post , couldn’t have worded it anywhere close to this.👌 

Congratulations! How did it all go for you? Glad to have helped a little, wishing you a very speedy recovery 🤞

Posted (edited)

Progress update: Day 12: Back to reality.

Today is my first day back at work after the transplant and I’m amazed that no-one can really notice I’ve had it done. From the front onwards, it’s really not very obvious (though I’m loving the new hairline). However, from the back it’s a bit more noticeable due to the redness / difference in hair textures but as I’m so tall, it’s hard for people to see this. I was all prepared to come into the office and announce ‘YES, I HAD A HAIR TRANSPLANT’ but no-one seemed to really notice anything different. There’s a guy who sits directly behind me and so I’ve rearranged my desk so I’m sitting a bit more sideways to look at my monitor rather than with my back directly to him. Every time he looks up from his desk I spin around and smile at him so he either thinks I have an attention deficit disorder or thinks I’m just plain weird. Maybe telling him I had a HT would be better. Either way it’s too late now.

Life has very much gone back to normal. I’m sleeping mostly normally, though occasionally I’ll wake up and worry about my position and re-adjust myself a bit. In terms of showering, I still don’t feel like I should be lathering the shampoo directly on the head (I do on the donor area) so I’m still doing a daily wash using shampoo foam from the sink which I’m carefully spooning and patting onto the head, though with a little more force than before. It feels such a shame that these hairs are all gonna fall out, but I know it’s part of the process...

One of the hardest things for me is restricting my activities. I’m really itching to go back to the gym and I feel like I’m healed enough to go, but I’ve read online that sweat can damage the hair follicles and that’s the last thing I want to do. I understand I can do cardio from Wednesday onwards (which will be two weeks), then work with weights from a further week. I may hold off until the weekend as I really struggle with moderation and I know that if I go to the gym I won’t ‘take it easy’ and I don’t want to end up damaging anything.

A few tips at this point from me:

• Daily, I use my baby hairbrush to just give a very gentle circular brush over the whole recipient area. This is to help remove any last flakes / scabs / dry skin, but I think this helps increase circulation to the area. I definitely don’t press hard at all
  • Head is pretty itchy all over the recipient and donor area. I manage this by gently running my soft brush over the area which alleviates the itching a lot. I really try not to scratch at all but if I do, it’s just gently with the pad of the finger rather than the nail to minimise damage (though I don’t think it’d be possible to spread infection as the wounds are gone)
  • I’ve bought a load of Regaine / Rogaine, but I believe I should begin applying this from week 3 onwards
  • I still sleep on my travel pillow which helps me to not lie directly on the recipient area. While of course I’m not worried about swelling, I also don’t yet feel ready to lie directly on the recipient site as I worry I’ll rub my head onto the pillow a bit and aggravate the area
  • Yesterday I walked to the supermarket (15 mins each way) and then back again with some quite heavy items. During the walk back I could feel my head tingling and stinging a bit so I ended up slowing my pace as I didn’t want to be over-doing it and end up sweating. I guess this is why they tell you not to exercise?

Otherwise I’ve more or less gone back to normality. I’m using this time to do some of the ‘admin’ things I’ve been putting off which are less physical – planning a mate’s stag do, batch cooking a load of meals for the freezer, cleaning out my wardrobe. But within a week I’ll be back to normal speed, and I can’t wait!

How things are looking currently - really pleased with the coverage and progress and obviously excited for things thickening up in the future.

howtoday.thumb.jpg.7494fca21da804bd1757580ed42076ed.jpg

Edited by AndersLondon
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, s14a said:

Looks great, keep the updates coming please - I've booked with Demirsoy!

Nice one - I think that's a great choice, I still have no regrets about the whole process, and no regrets about choosing Demirsoy. Truth will be in the end result but really pleased so far...!

• Like 1

On 4/29/2019 at 2:28 PM, AndersLondon said:

There’s a guy who sits directly behind me and so I’ve rearranged my desk so I’m sitting a bit more sideways to look at my monitor rather than with my back directly to him. Every time he looks up from his desk I spin around and smile at him so he either thinks I have an attention deficit disorder or thinks I’m just plain weird. Maybe telling him I had a HT would be better. Either way it’s too late now.

Haha! :D

--

Rooting for you. Looks like things are going well. :)

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Progress Update - Day 16: To sweat or not to sweat?

Since the scabs were removed, things have very much returned to how they were pre-hair transplant. I’m still completely over the moon with the results – simply having more hair at the front of my head has given me far more self-confidence and I’m feeling really optimistic.

I’ve started seeing a few hairs fall out, and looking at the hairs at the front of my head I can see some are longer ‘native’ hairs, some are the slightly thicker transplanted hairs, and some are stubs of broken transplanted hairs which have begun to shed. Overall, I guess I’d describe this phase as trying to make the best situation out of what’s going on – I’m been trying to trim the hair on the sides and back of my head to make it all blend in a bit as EVERYTHING is just growing outwards and it’s looking a bit awkward. I didn’t feel comfortable shaving too close or anywhere near the transplanted area, but afterwards the result looked far more intentional and even. But I’m aware that once more native hairs grow and more transplanted hairs begin to shed, there’ll be quite a few weeks of looking awkward ahead.

In terms of daily activities:

• On Wednesday (2 weeks post op) I went back to the gym for the first time. I took it relatively easy and didn’t stay for too long, but I was constantly worried about sweating too much or bending over and causing a big increase in blood pressure. I’m pleased I went to the gym but think I’ll leave it until 3 weeks post op before doing my usual routine. The head felt OK during, but I kept getting little ‘reminder’ sharp feelings on my head that I’d had an operation. I made sure to wash my head carefully in the showers afterwards as I didn’t want the sweat to stay on the head. I've been doing loads of internet research on when's the ideal time to begin exercising and the general consensus seems to be between 2 and 3 weeks so I'll take it easy this week then go hard next week 💪
  • Head has been quite itchy, but maybe better in the last couple of days. I woke up last night to find myself gently rubbing my head so I hope I’m not scratching in my sleep…
  • Taking off and putting on t-shirts / hoodies is still something I do very carefully, but I should think all the hairs are anchored in now so it shouldn’t matter
  • I’m still a bit unsure about wearing my over-the-head Bose earphones, particularly when walking anywhere as the headband will rub directly on the transplanted area. This is probably a bit of an over-reaction but it’s better to be careful.
  • In terms of showering, I’m letting the water hit my head directly, though the water pressure in my shower is somewhat like having 5 people crying directly over your head so I’m not too worried about anything going wrong there. I’m applying the shampoo directly to a shower sponge, then lathering it up and working it gently all over the head. Again, probably too much care but I wouldn’t feel ready lathering up shampoo directly onto the transplanted hair yet!
  • I’m sleeping normally now, with my head directly on the pillow. I’m a very still sleeper anyway so I feel quite confident in this now.

Some pictures attached, it’s beginning to blend in a bit better but who knows how it’ll look in a couple more weeks! I've taken these with the flash on, so you can see the hairs a bit clearer. In real-life lighting it looks less 'obvious'. No-one at work as noticed at all and this week I saw my boss (who's the only one who knew I was having it done) and he commented on how no-one would be able to tell. The redness on my scalp looks a little like a birthmark but each day it looks less and less red. I also saw my best pal at the beginning of the week who said how much nicer my hairline frames my face. What a good mate eh?

There's a few random hairs across my forehead but I'm not gonna start complaining about having too many hairs 😂

Final1.thumb.png.749707a30e73b99bc26f8161cc55b2e1.pngFinal2.thumb.png.4181572ef0f701ee896dc9fe69f32647.png

Edited by AndersLondon
  • Like 2

Posted (edited)

Progress Update - Day 21: Three weeks! It’s beginning to look a lot like shed-mass

Over the last week things have really settled down. Most of the time I forget about the hair (which isn’t always a good thing… more on that shortly) but there are still some things I’m doing differently as I’m still conscious of the healing process.

• Sleeping – I settle down to sleep with my head on an extra cushion which keeps the recipient area away from the pillow. However I’ve been getting some back-ache from the position and I keep waking up in a normal sleeping position anyway so I’m now going back to sleeping normally as I think that’s fine by this point in the process
  • Gym – I picked up with the gym again this weekend and now I’m back to full-steam ahead. It’s amazing how much strength I’ve lost in just a few weeks and my 5k rowing time has increased by about 45 seconds which is terrible…but not really the point. I’ll get back on form soon!
  • Showering – I still lather the shampoo onto the shower sponge and gently massage the foam into the recipient area (the donor area I just treat as normal). I do this every morning but also after the gym too as I don’t really want sweat sitting on my head (I understand it’s bad for the new hair?). Maybe washing twice a day is bad so I think I'll move to doing it just post-gym
  • Eating – I’m making a conscious effort to eat plenty of veggies as having a healthy diet can only be good for recovery. However, have also developed a KitKat addiction which I don’t think is hair transplant-related
  • Changing clothes - being spring in the UK, naturally it’s raining and freezing so I’m often wearing hoodies which I’m still taking on and off carefully
  • Meds - I'm taking Finasteride daily with no side effects as usual (unless maybe the KitKat addiction is a side effect?) and will start using Regaine as of tomorrow

This weekend I was doing some cleaning and managed to hit the crown of my head really hard into the corner of a desk. I kicked myself for the whole day for not taking more care. A small red bump came up on my head, but luckily no blood. I think it’s too far past the transplant to dislodge any hairs but I hope it doesn’t damage the follicle in any way.

In terms of how it’s looking…it’s not a great story. It’s definitely beginning an awkward looking stage and I think this is partly because the native hairs are happily growing strong, and the new hairs are shedding (I notice about 8 hairs in my hand each time I wash it). I feel like it isn’t shedding very fast but I guess lots of hairs will come off in the bed / at the gym etc. I’m definitely not loving how it’s looking but I guess this is all part of the process.

I’m planning to trim my hair around the sides and back, and to gently cut the original hairs close to the transplant to try and even it out a bit. I usually buzz-cut my hair which I would LOVE to do but I know I can’t shave it for at least 3 months 😒

Here’s some pics of how it’s doing this week – I preferred it when it was full of scabs!

With flash:

1570370022_newpic1.thumb.jpg.d62fb62108300f89822a928c2c0e036c.jpg

Without flash:

894744977_newpic2.thumb.jpg.cd9e73ae22354e7fd3c114b4443dbfd7.jpg

With KitKat:

225365006_newpic3.thumb.jpg.e2f5fc78f95422f6e46570a7f983e61e.jpg

Edited by AndersLondon
  • Thanks 1

I slept kinda odd for a few weeks as well. I didn't put any pressure on my temple areas for close to 4 weeks. Being a natural side sleeper, this was torture. I ended up gently placing myself in the side position, and trying not to move. If I had to move, I raised myself fully, and then repositioned (like a cat or dog when they're repositioning).

I also used nothing but baby shampoo for a month, and to this day, I use baby shampoo when I don't need to clean too much off of my head. I use Nioxin shampoo more regularly. For maybe 6 weeks I lathered my shampoo in my hands before I put it on my head. For maybe 4 weeks, I held my hand to the shower head to dull the pressure. I know a lot of horror stories relating to eyes and I forgot the name of it now, but it was how water creates a lot of pressure. The pressure of your* shower can dislodge hairs, so I was very paranoid.

If you're going to the gym, and showering multiple times a day, consider using very mild shampoo, I would probably still stick to a baby shampoo (in a regular shampoo bottle if you're catching too much shit/ worried about judgement).

I ended up loosing my hairs much later than usual, almost certainly due to my care. It didn't really affect results and it made me feel better. 

Try also marking where you hit your head. I think you'll be fine, but it'll be good to document it for other members who hit their head in the future. Maybe make a separate post in the questions section with your marking where you hit your head, and the same area 6 months and 12 months later. I think it would alleviate a lot of concerns if there is no effect, and create more awareness if it seems to affect results.

I think you're about a month away from hitting the full shed, so don't be surprised if that affected area sheds soon/first. It's not about the hair, it's the follicle. You'll be fine! Great job with the detailed updates.

Looks on track, another few weeks of shedding and its uphill from there.

21 hours ago, Lennney said:

If you're going to the gym, and showering multiple times a day, consider using very mild shampoo, I would probably still stick to a baby shampoo (in a regular shampoo bottle if you're catching too much shit/ worried about judgement).

I ended up loosing my hairs much later than usual, almost certainly due to my care. It didn't really affect results and it made me feel better. 

Try also marking where you hit your head. I think you'll be fine, but it'll be good to document it for other members who hit their head in the future. Maybe make a separate post in the questions section with your marking where you hit your head, and the same area 6 months and 12 months later. I think it would alleviate a lot of concerns if there is no effect, and create more awareness if it seems to affect results

Appreciate the advice! I'm not someone who cares what other people think so I'm happy to carry around a bottle of baby shampoo. I'm still using the mild 'Sebamed' shampoo each day, but I'm certainly now only going to wash once per day anyway. 

I will document where that bump was - though I'm keen not to dwell on the past and instead, just looking forward to however this turns out. But certainly will see if that area develops any differently. 👍

17 hours ago, CosmoKramer said:

Looks on track, another few weeks of shedding and its uphill from there.

Thanks mate! I think I'm just starting the shedding, and I can't wait to be going uphill! 😃

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Progress Update - Month 1: Shedding has been intense, now is the hard part

Overall I've been really pleased with my transplant process. The operation went well, the travel was fine and the initial recovery was quite straightforward. I always knew the shedding stage would be pretty rough and it definitely is. 

I’ve found this really tough as I haven’t kept my transplant a secret from anyone. I was in Barcelona this weekend (where I lived until recently) and my friends were all saying ‘it hasn’t worked!’ – or complimenting me on the “new hair” when I can read on their faces that they’re less than impressed. 

After a lot of thought, I decided to cut my own hair as it was really looking awkward. The sides were growing like crazy, the new hair was shedding a lot, and the few native hairs were growing around the transplanted areas creating an ‘I’ve just escaped from a mental asylum’ kind of look. I know I can’t shave the recipient area for about 3 months, so I shaved the sides and back of my head (not too close so the donor scars would be visible) and took to the top (carefully) with scissors to try and create a shaved look. It worked really well, especially considering I only had left-handed scissors (I’m right handed), though I think close up it looks like someone has…hacked at it with a pair of left-handed scissors. I was really careful around the new hairs, but from what I’ve read, a haircut past the three-week mark is absolutely fine. Now it’s been over a month I think there’s very little I can do to disturb the hairs now!

I feel like most of the shedding has already happened, though at almost 5 weeks it feels a bit early to be saying that the shedding is ‘over’. When I shower, I look at the shampoo on my hands and count about 10 hairs each time I touch my head, though in the last few days there has only been about 2 or 3 hairs. 

The head is pretty itchy still, and it’s quite red (I’ve begun using Regaine and that seems to make it sting a little and turn red). I’ve had a weekend where I’ve been in the sun (but wearing a hat during exposed periods), drinking, eating rubbish and I smoked a few cigarettes when drunk so I feel a bit bad about not taking better care of myself, but I don’t think this would have caused any real damage. 

Anyway, here’s some pics – they’re definitely the least flattering ones I’ve taken so far and I’m feeling a bit low and self-conscious about how it all looks. I’m also doubting that hairs will begin to sprout – my crown just feels kind of sparse and I can’t imagine there actually being hair there one day. I’ll update again in a couple more weeks or when things change, but for now I think it’s all about ignoring the hair and just forgetting that I look a bit tragic! A couple more months and something should begin to sprout…

P.S The pictures are duplicated and there's a weird image of some text - for some reason they won't delete when I try to edit the post so just ignore them...

IMG_4201.thumb.jpg.0edb66d713221c4fd0067ee490b74429.jpgIMG_4263.thumb.jpg.da3bc7f6bb9f5a3d0ac51debb2151400.jpgIMG_4287.thumb.jpg.fe192b801c301344f8d8b38bcf84648d.jpg

image.png

IMG_4201.jpg

IMG_4263.jpg

IMG_4287.jpg

Edited by AndersLondon
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

Coming along good and as expected, will be an exciting few months ahead once you get past the next few weeks!

Have you any advice on how to make payment for the transplant in Turkey?

Edited by s14a
  • Like 1

The shed is bad, but expected. It remains bad for another month or so before it gets better in my experience (before growth cycle really takes off). You're in prime condition for a good hat. I wore baseball hats, so it wasn't really professional... I just got my flat cap, and wore it. My SO loved it, and said I looked really good in it. There may be bias there, but see if you can pick one up for ~10 Euros or something. I got mine from essentially "wish" app, for $3, but shipping was like 5 weeks. It's worth a shot, and I think we have similar facial structures. 

may186.jpg

may187.jpg

• Like 1

The first few months the progress always feels like it’s going at a snails pace, but after about the 4-5th month it feels like it’s taking off, I’m almost at 12-months and I can’t believe it’s been a year already, you’ll get there.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2019 at 8:30 PM, Lennney said:

The shed is bad, but expected. It remains bad for another month or so before it gets better in my experience (before growth cycle really takes off). You're in prime condition for a good hat. I wore baseball hats, so it wasn't really professional... I just got my flat cap, and wore it. My SO loved it, and said I looked really good in it. There may be bias there, but see if you can pick one up for ~10 Euros or something. I got mine from essentially "wish" app, for $3, but shipping was like 5 weeks. It's worth a shot, and I think we have similar facial structures. 

Thanks for the advice, and looking good! I may look into that but I'm not too unhappy so long as i can keep trimming the sides and cutting the top close to the head (carefully and with scissors). But it could be a good idea for social occasions! 

Edited by AndersLondon

On 5/20/2019 at 7:45 PM, s14a said:

Coming along good and as expected, will be an exciting few months ahead once you get past the next few weeks!

Have you any advice on how to make payment for the transplant in Turkey?

Sorry for the slow reply. Thanks - i hope it'll become exciting soon, at the moment it just looks like a bunch of nothing! I know it's all part of the process though,

I paid via credit card, which definitely isn't the most cost effective way. I think they charged a little extra for using a card, and my bank charged me about £50 for using the card abroad. It would have been cheaper in cash but I don't have access to that kind of cash so it really was the only way. Though I guess once you spend 4,5K Euros, another 150 for card fee and transaction fee doesn't make too much of a dent!

On 5/20/2019 at 8:32 PM, CosmoKramer said:

The first few months the progress always feels like it’s going at a snails pace, but after about the 4-5th month it feels like it’s taking off, I’m almost at 12-months and I can’t believe it’s been a year already, you’ll get there.

Thanks for the words, appreciate it. I've very much gone from being full of new confidence to feeling very disappointed but I know it's all part of the process and to be expected. I just find it hard to believe that hair will sprout from the thinner areas but it's all part of the magic. I'm about 6 weeks in now so I hope in another 6 I'll begin to see a sign or two of something happening!

Posted (edited)

Progress Update: 7 weeks, coming up to 2 months: Dormant phase in full flow

It’s been a couple of weeks since my last post and there isn’t really much progress to update you with. I’m almost certain that all the shedding has happened now; if I wash my hair or apply Minoxidil then look at my hands, I usually see one or two hairs, but not a handful like a few weeks ago. I’m a little surprised, I thought I’d be shedding right up until the end of month three, but I guess it’s happened a little early for me.

Every time I look online for information about the recovery stages, they’re all very detailed in what happens until the end of month 1, then they detail the new growth from month 3 or 4. This period now (approaching the 2 month mark) is a really weird time. It’s not early enough that you can really tell I had a transplant, but not late enough that growth has begun. So it’s really just a stage where it’s looking just like it did before the transplant. I’ve found myself having a bit less self-esteem / having less confidence. I think it’s partly to do with the awkward hairstyle I’m rocking and partly from the insane amount of recovery KitKats I managed to get through. Either way I’m hoping this improves as time goes on as I hate feeling low. I know not to expect anything different at this point, but it really looks like I never had a transplant and I know I shouldn’t expect any growth yet but I can’t escape the disappointed feeling at the moment.

I’ve been on a couple of trips lately back to Barcelona and to Ibiza, and I’ve been very careful to put a hat on when I’m spending time in the sun. Sometimes I’ll be walking to / from work and I’ll realise that I’m not wearing a hat and have been in the sun for a while – so I try and walk in shade where I can or I carry a cap to and from work now.

I’ve bought a new shaver, and use it to cut the back and side of my head, then I trim the top with scissors as close as I can to my head. I think the donor area shows a little when it’s shaved quite short, but you’d have to get really really close in order to see any scars / redness. I’ve begun wearing some Mane Hair Thickening spray when I want to try and look good – I find it makes everything look a lot more even - though I try not to do it for too long in case it has any negative effect on the grafts. I’ve been trying to eat well and exercise, though occasionally I’ll smoke or bang my head and I’ll kick myself for not taking more care during the recovery stage but you can’t stop life I guess!

I wash the hair everyday with the sebamed mild shampoo (which I will continue using as I really like it!), taking finasteride and I use Regaine twice a day. I still dry my hair carefully by pressing it with the towel rather than rubbing it but that’s easier as I’m keeping my hair really short. Some pictures attached - I tried to take a snap of the donor area but that's really hard to do yourself!! I also found a nice chart online that showed in a simple format the timeline of new growth - and I sometimes look at that and remind myself that even in month three I'll only see 10% of the growth and I haven't even reached month two yet. I've included the chart here as I found it reassuring!

Overall, it’s a rough stage. In my next update in a couple more weeks I’d love to say something about a tiny bit of new growth but we’ll see...

252058977_pic1.thumb.jpg.4a9edd7a5d37d0e83b695287f2dd2a05.jpg

299300301_pic2.thumb.jpg.594118bd04e90f1445ade2592541a1a1.jpg

214879682_pic3.thumb.jpg.bc338d56b550d297e11ec3bd1479a01c.jpg

Timescale.jpg.cb6319b749c5fcf70efc4071ea7f433f.jpg

Edited by AndersLondon
  • Like 2

Donor area looks good! Chart is helpful, I will use that too. I'm three weeks from FUE. Keep us posted!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, s14a said:

Donor area looks good! Chart is helpful, I will use that too. I'm three weeks from FUE. Keep us posted!

Thankyou mate! I think the donor area looks more or less back to normal. It still feels a little weird but it's only noticeable when you're really close so no-one will know. Best of luck, let me know if I can help out on any questions in your run-up to the surgery! 👍

I always wondered - for how long are you recommended to take finasteride and minoxidil? 

I could be wrong, but I'd imagine there comes a point where you're expected to stop taking these medicines. 

Also, if required to be taken daily, does taking alcohol become a problem then?

• Like 1

23 hours ago, maltesefalcon said:

I always wondered - for how long are you recommended to take finasteride and minoxidil? 

I could be wrong, but I'd imagine there comes a point where you're expected to stop taking these medicines. 

Also, if required to be taken daily, does taking alcohol become a problem then?

Good question. For finasteride, I think it's a lifetime thing. The pill works by stopping some kind of enzyme which causes hair loss. At any point in life, you can stop taking it, but that enzyme won't be blocked anymore so you'll be likely to experience hair loss if you were prone to it beforehand. 

Minoxidil is something that I think is a little more relaxed. It helps strengthen hairs and encourage growth and is a good idea at my stage in the transplant process. I guess it can be used indefinitely?

As for alcohol - I very rarely drink (just a few times a year) so I wouldn't know - but I don't recall being warned to stay off it on either finasteride or minoxidil.

On 6/28/2019 at 7:14 PM, maltesefalcon said:

How is it coming along now? :)

All's coming along well! I don't think the head has really changed in the last few weeks, though I think I've seen a little growth beginning, only a couple of hairs though. Next week will be the 12-week mark so I'll get some new pics taken this weekend and I'll put a fuller update online! 👍

• Like 1