Should I Choose A Hair Transplant Surgeon Based On Celebrity Endorsements

• Administrators

I get this question every day. "____ went to ____ clinic and looks like a million bucks should I choose this clinic?" 9 times out of 10 the clinic is a commercial chain clinic with all advertising and marketing and no real result built reputation. What do you guys think?  I would love to hear the communities input.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Actually, I know a couple of celebs and politicians and etc..  Right now it is the other way around, I am telling them what to look out for.  But few folks, i know are going to docs that care and do things ethically.  No one wants to end up getting screwed or having issues later where doc goes mia and just passes you off to multiple assistants and etc.  

Celebs do play a big role though.  They are in the public limelight so if you see a bad transplant then you know the celeb got screwed.  In most cases, their agents know what to look for.  They do read up online when helping to pick a surgeon for their celeb employer.  

• Administrators

No doubt some celebrities have excellent results. However, I am very weary of any celebrity endorsements. A celeb could have a hair transplant with Dr. X and endorse a different clinic. Patients should be doing their own research rather than relying on what some celebrity says just my opinion. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

I would rate that particular clinic with high score if Celebs are some of the ex clients

I mean celebrities have  this constant pressure to look perfect and  paparazzi around them,  perfect artistic work should be done for those cameras. Moreover its health and safety wise, it gives you more peace of mind to know that famous faces have handed over their heads for the entire day to the same doctor :) so you feel like okay.... why not then ...  

Well......Slow down.......Eventually, if you are good, you may seek out, or be approached by a celebrity.  What you do with the information, afterwards, depends on the results.  If no good, likely the doctor will not say a thing.  If the results are superb, you can bet he will promote it in some way.

There are practices out there that do celebrities all the time but keep it private.  Is that because the celebrity asked them to? Perhaps.

We all tend to be star struck from time to time by celebrities.  So I think the decision should come from the patient, based on the overall  results.  Look at tons of photos...of ALL patients before making a decision. Don't preclude yourself of not having a consultation, at least, by a doctor that worked on a celebrity just because of it.  He might just be superb at what he does.

On 4/16/2019 at 7:46 AM, Melvin-Moderator said:

I get this question every day. "____ went to ____ clinic and looks like a million bucks should I choose this clinic?" 9 times out of 10 the clinic is a commercial chain clinic with all advertising and marketing and no real result built reputation. What do you guys think?  I would love to hear the communities input.

Celebrities require near perfection in everything they have regarding appearance. It is a must that they remain and appear flawless.

By default, they have access to some of the most premium products that can conceal and better the look, be it hair or any other cosmetic product.

It is wrong to gauge the results with a celebrity's results. Their level of maintenance is extremely professional. Which unfortunately cannot be imitated by us non media involved people.

Also, it is common knowledge that celebrities are paid to endorse products. It is more of a business deal with them rather than a medical testimonial. 

Except for every few genuine celebs testifying for the product, it is scary to completely rely on their results as a fair measure of the quality.

The doctor and the doctor alone is the measure of his work. He/she must be a "doctor" and not a "businessman" to understand, care and nurture the patients. 

Although it is a cosmetic surgery, the level of satisfaction and the sense of achievement for a doctor only comes when a patient is mentally and physically happy and healthy.

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ

Celebrity endorsed HT surgeons has always raised a red flag to me...more than not, the results are terrible and most celebs do not do their own research.  They usually have one of their agents do the ground work and the problem is that they are usually uniformed or ill-informed.

Each and every individual should conduct their own research and get educated on all of the pros and cons including the dynamics of the procedure.  They should also know all of the medicinal options available as surgery should always be the last resort.

And in my own observations, celebs tend to want the instant fix because they are always in the lime light.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Nice topic as usual,Melvin

First of all, what do we mean by celebrities? That is very important question

I mean Rooney is surely a celebrity, but there are plenty of other Instagram models with 1M followers (80% of them don't even notice them on their timeline) and people consider them celebrity. 

IMHO, social media celebrity aka influencers shouldn't be put on same topic as celebrities. I would add some low profile reality TV people to those btw. One of the main reasons is the gigantic financial differences 

So we have 2 groups:

Real Celebrities  like Rooney, James Nesbitt , Elon Musk or Antonio Conte with long list of other names that rumored to had this surgery like Lebron or Jude Law

Now, how many of those went out and endorsed their clinic? tbh I don't remember a single one of them doing so.

Rooney was just honest with his fans, endorsed "The process" of his HT and let the whole world know what he is doing. And part of that was saying where he is doing and what is the cost.

You can see Rooney result, in every aspect, he is a footballer (for Americans, I refer to soccer as football) and look isn't exactly important for his pay day. 

I would treat Rooney as just any other patients here, except that I will take notice that he is likely got a care more than anyone else as clearly the clinic want to market itself through him. That might not be the case in everyday patient. 

Conte is widely rumored to have done a HT with H&W but never said it. So  you can never be sure what he did. 

Those guys are freakishly wealthy, that I doubt that any of those clinics are really earning more than them. And I doubt any of them would get enough money from clinics to warrant them endorsing them. 

There are other plenty of other mid-lower celebrities who will let the clinic use their pictures and case in their official website. And again I would just be aware that this is just another case like you see in this forum, just got more care most likely. 

Now regarding influencers, those guys aren't as wealthy as many of you think, I would bet that many people here are actually earning more than most of them. They are basically living on making those non-sense marketing for many products. They will take whatever cash that is offered to them. And yes, they fail to do proper search. 

I remember there was this reality tv lady that made a very bad choice with the clinic she went to, and had at the end to ask advice from another guy on youtube who used to work with H&W (HT mentor or something like that) to go to another doctor to correct it.

I saw plenty of those cases who showed their results, and I've to say some were really honest. And I would take their results as "another patient" as long as they have been showing it and honest with the process from the very start (recording their visits and meeting with the doctors, documenting their growth process etc)
But, and I can't stress this enough, don't take endorsement from  a guy/lady with a head with full set of hair who never showed his "HT process". He is a person who just took the money and repeated what he was asked to say. 

TLDR version: Celebrities/Influencers are just another patients who you can watch their videos if they showed the whole process. But don't put more weight on it than other cases you see here. Because clinics are probably more careful with them. 

Edited by harry_potter1

The Black rock clinic in Dublin has a lot of UK/  Irish celebrities who have gone public  after having their transplant there ,James Nesbitt to name one ,they charge 10 euros per graft so if I had gone there it would have cost me 42000 euros for the 4200 FUE grafts I had done, pretty much academic for the average guy whether celebrities endorse it or not . 

• Administrators
3 hours ago, Mick50 said:

The Black rock clinic in Dublin has a lot of UK/  Irish celebrities who have gone public  after having their transplant there ,James Nesbitt to name one ,they charge 10 euros per graft so if I had gone there it would have cost me 42000 euros for the 4200 FUE grafts I had done, pretty much academic for the average guy whether celebrities endorse it or not . 

I guess it’s all relative, Rooney earns about 100,000 a week. So, 42,000 isn’t much to someone as wealthy has him. It would roughly be equivalent to a couple of grand to a regular person.

View my thread