Start with FUT or FUE? | 3,000 graft FUT + FUE case | Dr. Bloxham | Feller & Bloxham, NY, NYC

It may be unsurprising to many long-time readers of the forum, but one of the most popular topics right now seems to revolve around FUT versus FUE. However, this topic is not an "FUE vs. FUT" debate, but is a very good question revolving around which technique a patient should start with and the best way to utilize both. Specifically, in patients looking to maximize donor potential and future surgeries, which technique should be used first: FUT or FUE

As many may know, I am an advocate of clinics who can offer and regularly perform both, and I typically advise patients who have uncertain or advanced levels of hair loss and may want multiple procedures to start with FUT. Because I am a "fan" of this approach, I wanted to share a presentation of a patient who went this route. 

The patient first presented to the clinic with classic frontal hair loss several years ago. He wanted to "test the waters" a bit with hair transplantation, so I did a very conservative frontal band procedure via FUT. He did very well and after seeing that hair transplant surgery really works, he decided to "dive in" and undergo a more aggressive hairline lowering and dense pack frontal band procedure. I did this via FUT as well. After two strip surgeries he was fairly confident with the scalp in general except for a small spot in the crown -- which had been static for years -- that he wanted to address. This procedure only required 500 - 800 grafts and he decided that since the bulk of the work was done via FUT and he was happy with the incision line (which was still very good after two harvests), he wanted to now switch to FUE

Because we started with FUT, I was happy to do a conservative pass via FUE and address the crown. 

Here are a few "before and after" comparisons after the two strip procedures: 

154105889_21408579comp.thumb.jpg.1654463cb5d3d74190bceb22daa03ff8.jpg

1405815833_21438581comp.thumb.jpg.4f850a2973f42edb6221476d5cde7c5f.jpg

1400479036_21528583comp.thumb.jpg.beaaa5ec87ea1ace44e1f1584e5268c5.jpg

2135992140_21468582comp.thumb.jpg.0150fa330aa2e4d79b3ca427c7e45b4d.jpg

653886120_21448580.thumb.jpg.238aabece36e641480ac37095c0d5c8c.jpg

348713503_21558586comp.thumb.jpg.2dd176dd813cac59669c9b1d908bafc4.jpg

And here is a very thorough walk-through video I encourage all those wondering which technique they should start with to watch. Not only does the video include comb-through of the results, it also features a discussion about the approach, video of his incision line after FUT #1 and FUT #2, video of me performing the FUE procedure, and a post-op of the FUE crown surgery. 

Also, as a little "bonus" here: I have included video from his 6 month visit, just in case any members need reassurance that results do change from the 6 to 12 month mark: 

Thank you for watching. I hope this sparks some good discussion and I look forward to the conversation. 

Dr. Blake Bloxham 

Feller & Bloxham Medical, PC 

• Like 2

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Good topic and presentation! He looks great and I’m sure he’s quite happy. My general approach is similar. I have yet to undergo FUE, but completed my fifth FUT procedure last June. I started in a worse place than this patient and also had more hair loss after quitting Propecia in 2015. I’m now about 8300 grafts in and feel fortunate to have transformed my appearance dramatically. I feel more fortunate that FUE is still available to me, even if it’s not certain I’ll have another procedure. Definitely think this case illustrates the importance of careful planning and having a vision of what you want your end result to be. Good work!

Edited by 7Shel

20 hours ago, 7Shel said:

Good topic and presentation! He looks great and I’m sure he’s quite happy. My general approach is similar. I have yet to undergo FUE, but completed my fifth FUT procedure last June. I started in a worse place than this patient and also had more hair loss after quitting Propecia in 2015. I’m now about 8300 grafts in and feel fortunate to have transformed my appearance dramatically. I feel more fortunate that FUE is still available to me, even if it’s not certain I’ll have another procedure. Definitely think this case illustrates the importance of careful planning and having a vision of what you want your end result to be. Good work!

Thank you for the kind words. 

Great post. This is exactly what I recommend for my patients who I believe will be in this for the "long run." It is nice to know you always have FUE in your back pocket once you are "stripped out." 

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

PA, Kiwi, and Det, 

Thank you for the kind words. Glad you enjoyed the presentation.