Sun Exposure

How long after an HT can you go out in the sun for an extended amount of time without a hat?

As Spring/Summer approaches I’m wondering about going to the beach, swimming, and get sun exposure on the scalp?

I anticipate I’ll be told by everyone to wear a hat a lot, and I get that, but my question is whether there is any consensus as to when one can return to normal amounts of sun exposure / sun tans without concern?

And what is the concern by the way? Is it damage to recently transplanted hair follicles, or is it sun damage to scalp skin that’s still sensitive due to the surgery? 

Thanks!

Edited by SprayPaint

Hi SprayPaint, 

All clinics have slightly different recommendations. It is important to follow your specific clinic's post-operative instructions as closely as possible. In my office, I recommend that patients be "careful" in the sun for the first 3-6 months (usually putting more emphasis on 6). Now, this does not mean you need to avoid the sun; we have many patients return to sunny Florida or make a "recovery" trip to the Caribbean right after surgery; but what it does mean is that you need to avoid a sunburn or excessive sun exposure to the scalp. 15 minutes walking to your car is not going to hurt anything, but six hours laying in the sun on the beach could. A good rule of thumb to use is: if you are putting sunblock on and have a concern about burning the rest of your skin, it is probably a good idea to protect the scalp -- if you are less than 6 months out from surgery. Just bring a hat with you; if you are in the sun and you feel things heating up, put it on; if you go under an umbrella or go inside the beach bar, you are free to take it off. No need to avoid getting a transplant around Summertime just because of this. Just be a little more aware and cautious and you will do fine. 

I have heard varying explanations as to why this occurs. Some seem to believe it has to do with adaptation based upon where the donor follicles come from; some believe it has to do with the melanocyte cells that surround the base of the transplanted follicles; others seem to think it has more to do with follicle stem cells being closer to the surface in the first few months after a transplant before things really mature; regardless, it is probably a good idea to just be a little careful and protect your investment. 

Hope this helps. 

Dr Bloxham

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

Thank you @Dr Blake Bloxham  

So it sounds as though the concern is indeed related to potentially damaging the integrity of the transplanted hairs, and not simply getting a more-severe burn on sensitive post-op scalp skin, is that correct? 

Regardless, looks like I’ll be sporting a cap this summer. 

When is it safe to start using a hat after a transplant? I realize you want to be very careful the first couple of weeks but at what point is it okay to wear a hat for long periods of time? Should it be tight fitting or should you wait a couple months to wear tight fitting hats?

Thank you  @Dr Blake Bloxham   as well for the your comment.

It is possible to wear a hat several days after the procedure after the grafts are well seated....you just want to be sure it is not a tight fit especially if you had a FUHT procedure.

You do not want any pressure or tension put on the sutures post-op.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY