Need some post op instructions.

Hi all,

I had my HT( FUE) done 1.5 months ago mainly on my crown and in the temples area. As expected, after 3 weeks or so, the transplanted hair started to shed and now they are about 60 to 70% gone.  I followed post op instructions and started with baby shampoo washing after like 6 days or so. I avoided putting my head directly under the shower for 25 days post op. After that I started putting my head under shower but am still afraid to do any rubbing even for shampoo. I am still pouring shampoo water on my head and only rinsing it directly under shower now, but still without any rubbing. The reason for this fear is that I am afraid whatever number of transplanted grafts are left, I might loose those also.

My first question is, if its ok for me to rub shampoo in my hair normally or I should avoid any rubbing at this stage? The person at the clinic told me that I can start re-using rogain in my crown area again after 25 days and it will help a faster growth. Honestly I am afraid to even do that as it involves rubbing. 

I wore a surgical cap on my head for about 4 days and started wearing a soft cloth cap as I had to go to work. I wore this cap for about a month and than switched to a baseball cap. I am still wearing it daily to my work.

My second question is that can this cap cause any problem for the grafts or their growth mainly in the temple area as its touches the skin there? 

I will appreciate any instructions/ comments. Thanks in advance.

Because you had FUE, there's no strip scar to stretch by wearing the cap.

This is probably the most challenging period of transition when the grafts shed, shock loss, etc.

Yet IMHO, it's best for all of the grafts to shed, clean up your scalp with normal shampooing routines and then simply wait for the regrowth to manifest.

It won't hurt to wear the cap in the short term however eventually you will need to allow your scalp to breathe as the new growth comes in...obviously this takes several months but will be worth it in the end result.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Hope you have great results srm73.  I resumed Rogaine at 21 days as directed by Doctor Cooley, and had no issues with that or the rubbing while applying it.  I also wore a hat a fair amount, but tried to wear it looser than usual.  By 1.5 months out you your grafts should stay put, so I think you should be good to go.  Like you I was super careful not to damage the grafts, but at this point they should be fine with washing and other activities.

Thank you for ur response gillenator. I will start normal shampooing. When you say I should allow my scalp to breath as the new hair growth starts, does it mean that I should stop wearing a cap? Also will going in sun be a problem at that time?

2 minutes ago, GrowingHair said:

Hope you have great results srm73.  I resumed Rogaine at 21 days as directed by Doctor Cooley, and had no issues with that or the rubbing while applying it.  I also wore a hat a fair amount, but tried to wear it looser than usual.  By 1.5 months out you your grafts should stay put, so I think you should be good to go.  Like you I was super careful not to damage the grafts, but at this point they should be fine with washing and other activities.

Thank you for your response GrowingHair. The reason I asked about re-starting rogaine is because at 1 month mark, I once used rogaine on my crown with very gentle rubbing in circular motion very carefully, as a result I saw a lot of transplanted hair shed because of the rubbing. Most likely the were the shafts only which were going to shed sooner or later anyway, but I got scared. But its good to know that at this point my grafts should be secure enough.

On ‎4‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 4:05 PM, srm73 said:

Thank you for ur response gillenator. I will start normal shampooing. When you say I should allow my scalp to breath as the new hair growth starts, does it mean that I should stop wearing a cap? Also will going in sun be a problem at that time?

You're very welcome...you don't have to stop wearing a ball cap however just be conscience to remove it in your private time...some guys will literally live in their ball caps if you know what I mean.

Whenever in the direct sun, you want to cover your head for at least 4-6 months post-op.  I say 4-6 months because doctors will vary on this...the key is to follow your post-op instructions and advice from your surgeon regarding sun exposure post-op.

Gillenator

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Growing Hair,

Am also a huge Caps fan and winning the Stanley Cup last year was awesome to say the least...:D

Playoffs getting heated up...GO CAPS!!!

Gillenator

On 4/12/2019 at 4:27 PM, gillenator said:

Growing Hair,

Am also a huge Caps fan and winning the Stanley Cup last year was awesome to say the least...:D

Playoffs getting heated up...GO CAPS!!!

Thank you so much gillenator for all the information.

Sure thing...please keep us in the loop of your regrowth progress...;)

Gillenator