Scarring from FUE ... how bad?

Hi guys,

I am mentally preparing myself to go for a fue HT this year and my latest concern is...will I be able to shave my hair down to zero without making the fue scars noticeable?

That is assuming that either the fue ht goes wrong or I keep loosing native hairs so therefore I'll have to have a shaved head.

What do you guys think?

thanks

• Administrators

If you plan on shaving to a zero guard forget about surgery altogether. There is no scarless procedure. Yes you will see scars at a zero guard.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Yes, the scars will be noticeable at a zero cut...although you could get SMP on the scars after you’ve completely healed after many months and camouflage them, downside to that is SMP can be pricey and will fade after some years and will need another go.

+1 to Melvin and Cosmo

They will show. How much depends on the punch size, the contrast between the color of your normal skin and your scar tissue, the contrast between your hair color and your scar tissue, and the total number of grafts. They can be very pronounced or in some cases very subtle. Most fall somewhere in between.

Good replies. 

While scarring from both methods -- FUT and FUE -- can be very subtle and hard to pick up even with a short haircut, you should not go into any scalp surgery with the mentality that you can completely "shave" it off if you are not happy. Of course this does not mean you can't possible go short in the future or camouflage the scarring further with things like SMP or grafting into the scars (as Cosmo noted), but remember that any cutting in the back (be it with a scalpel or a punch) will create a scar which will be noticeable to some degree if you shave down low enough. 

I hate to harp on this, but we are seeing a big influx of patients who underwent hair transplantation at clinics where they were told the procedure was "scarless" and they could simply shave their head if they did not like the results. The patients then did try to shave their head, saw the scarring, and were upset. So it is good to see this topic being discussed openly and honestly. 

• Like 2

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you guys for your replies!

On 4/9/2019 at 10:30 PM, Dr Blake Bloxham said:

I hate to harp on this, but we are seeing a big influx of patients who underwent hair transplantation at clinics where they were told the procedure was "scarless" and they could simply shave their head if they did not like the results. The patients then did try to shave their head, saw the scarring, and were upset. So it is good to see this topic being discussed openly and honestly. 

Good point Dr. Bloxham, this is exactly why I asked this question...I always got the feeling like FUE + scarless so then after seeing some pics i wondered if that was really true!

HT can be succesful but also unsuccesful we know that. What if I lose most of the transplanted hair and the ones in the donor area as well? It would be ugly not to buzz the few remaining hair down but it would be bad also to see thousand tiny scars. I wonder if this unlucky situation has ever happened to someone here on the forum.

I believe it's important to be aware of the potential consequences of anything we do in life wether them being positive or negaive.

I don't know if its just me noticing HT scars or if a tide has turned on the stigma about them, but I work in NYC and see way many more guys who have just completely shaved their head and are sporting a linear FUT scar on the back of their head without any worries. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, and when you get to a point where you really don't care about what others think, that's real freedom. There is no need to be ashamed of our scars - its a part of who we are, our struggle, journey, etc. 

• Like 2

• Administrators

^That's true I totally agree, I stopped caring the moment I started being honest about my hair transplant.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

10 hours ago, home1212 said:

I don't know if its just me noticing HT scars or if a tide has turned on the stigma about them, but I work in NYC and see way many more guys who have just completely shaved their head and are sporting a linear FUT scar on the back of their head without any worries. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, and when you get to a point where you really don't care about what others think, that's real freedom. There is no need to be ashamed of our scars - its a part of who we are, our struggle, journey, etc. 

I think this is a good point.

Like, we know the scar is from a HT, but a few years ago if I was to see a linear scar on the back of some dudes head, I would have thought: "oh, a thin scar, I guess he had an operation or something" - then literally not give it one single thought. Especially if he had a great head of hair.

Everyday people don't actually care about scarring.

• Like 1