Personal experiences with seasonal shedding?

Has anyone experienced this personally?

I was reading a great post by Spex, detailing how some people can undergo large sheds when seasons change. 

Since the start of summer in Aus, or rather for a couple of months now, I have undergone a big shed. I've never had a transplant, but am noticing lots of hairs on my pillow, in the shower, and so on.

It may just be my MPB progressing, but thought I'd get other perspectives on whether it could be a shed of some sort - as it's pretty terrifying haha.

Thanks all.

Bonkling, 

Seasonal shedding is a real thing. I have seen it many times in transplanted and non-transplanted patients. I previously thought it mostly occurred during the "cold" months, but I have seen a number of people experience it when the weather changes from colder to warmer as well. It typically lasts about the same time as a normal hair follicle telogen resting cycle -- which is 3-4 months, and should really look improved by around 5-6 months when the regrowing hairs have some length. 

I would still have a doctor take a look in-person if you get the chance. It could be some progression or it could be due to something else the doctor picks up on during your visit. 

Hope this helps. 

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

7 minutes ago, Dr Blake Bloxham said:

Bonkling, 

Seasonal shedding is a real thing. I have seen it many times in transplanted and non-transplanted patients. I previously thought it mostly occurred during the "cold" months, but I have seen a number of people experience it when the weather changes from colder to warmer as well. It typically lasts about the same time as a normal hair follicle telogen resting cycle -- which is 3-4 months, and should really look improved by around 5-6 months when the regrowing hairs have some length. 

I would still have a doctor take a look in-person if you get the chance. It could be some progression or it could be due to something else the doctor picks up on during your visit. 

Hope this helps. 

Hi Dr,

Thanks a lot for the reply. 

I'm not sure if this makes sense to you, but the hairs that fall out, seem to have a white, bulb-like ending. Is this indicative of the telogen phase? 

I'm going to pop down to a dermatologist and have a check-up in about a month, so we shall see :)

Thanks again!

Edited by bonkling

46 minutes ago, bonkling said:

Hi Dr,

Thanks a lot for the reply. 

I'm not sure if this makes sense to you, but the hairs that fall out, seem to have a white, bulb-like ending. Is this indicative of the telogen phase? 

I'm going to pop down to a dermatologist and have a check-up in about a month, so we shall see :)

Thanks again!

My pleasure. Glad it was helpful. 

Hair shafts often have what appears to be a white "bulb" on them when they fall out. It is really just indicative of the shape of the most inner layer of the hair follicle itself. Typically any hair that naturally sheds is in a release or a resting phase, so the entire hair shaft is released and it would be common to see the little "bulb" on the bottom -- opposed to a broken or pulled hair which may snap in half and you would not see the bottom of the hair shaft itself. 

Glad you are able to see the dermatologist. 

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

I experienced some seasonal sheds several times since my last procedure in 1996.

Have not had one however over the last decade.

This type of shedding really varies between individuals. 

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY