Top 3 Things That Every Hair Transplant Patient Should Know Before Surgery

• Administrators

What are your guys top 3? Knowing your hair loss will progress, you need some time off from work and you will likely need more than one hair transplant over the course of your life. I would love to hear what you guys think?

Top 3 Things That Every Hair Transplant Patient Should Know Before Surgery

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

These are definitely some important things for all patients to know before surgery. 

Some other frequent ones that come up during consultations: 

1) You will have some level of scarring regardless of how the procedure is performed. No hair transplant is "scarless" and you are unfortunately being set up for some level of disappointment if you are sold on this bill of goods. 

2) Follicles do not regenerate. Anything that is taken from the back is permanently displaced from one area to another and will not "regrow" in the donor. While on the subject of donor: remember that, in line with the above, the donor area is finite. You only have so much available and -- as Melvin correctly stated here -- hair loss is progressive and you may want more up the road. Use it wisely. And also remember that you can only use your own follicles. I think one of the most frequent questions I am asked during an initial consultation is whether or not we can take hair from other people. Unfortunately, at this time, we can only use follicles from your own body. 

3) Hair transplant surgery is done under local anesthesia ("numbing medication"). So while you really will not feel anything during the surgery itself, we do not put you "out" for a hair transplant. 

4) Remember that hair transplants are designed to be permanent. Any hair that we move is going to stay there forever. The transplanted hairline we build at 25 still needs to look natural at 55, 75, and 95, so always try to keep the "long term" in mind and maybe lean a little more towards the conservative (remember you can always go a little lower later, but it is difficult to reverse things and go "higher" if a previously low, flat hairline begins to look unnatural as you age). 

5) To end on a lighter note: remember that modern hair transplant surgery when done properly is an extremely effective procedure. These are not the "plugs" of yesteryear. Results via follicular unit grafting with high density "packing" (when appropriate) can be extremely impressive, so hair transplantation may be a good treatment (or adjunct treatment) for your hair loss. 

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• Administrators

Those are fantastic additions Dr. Bloxham thanks for contributing.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

One of the top things that I tell men and women considering hair transplant surgery is not to let location or price determine which surgeon you choose for surgical hair restoration.  Now, if an outstanding surgeon with a proven track record of producing excellent results happens to be local and affordable, that’s an outstanding bonus. But to seek out a surgeon based on those alone would be a mistake.

Great article,

Bill