Looking for advice for choosing where to get a hair transplant done

Hello ,

I live in Canada and am interested in getting a hair transplant I reached out to a few clinics and they all say I need about 3000 grafts for hairline and frontal area. Any suggestions on where I should go for the transplant. I am willing to go out of the country to different areas for the right price and the right dr to do the procedure. Any help would be appreciated thanks. Currently on rogaine for 1 year tried finasteride and notice side effects the first week so discounted the use. 

6B32F0DA-6434-4263-8801-6C08152FD498.jpeg

4082DE70-17B6-4724-93C5-ACB981EDB0D1.jpeg

5BE0226D-A006-452B-B1F3-DD02DB24B0FC.jpeg

4C8ECFD2-3360-4DA8-9C00-68E75A9D010B.jpeg

BCB0E79D-6E45-488A-811F-ED39F3536322.jpeg

47B764C5-5AC8-44E7-A7DB-C4EBF11D11E1.jpeg

81491501-1389-43C4-8EE0-B00413916E88.jpeg

5798F442-21CA-4521-9CB1-63CB218CDDE6.jpeg

21B63462-AD4F-4A92-B41D-E55C7133388A.jpeg

• Administrators

Hasson and Wong and Dr. Rahal are definitely worth checking out and they’re both in Canada.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

What Melvin said, those are the most renowned where you are based and considered two of the best HT clinics/ surgeons in the world. Do your research first, there is plenty to be found on both of those choices on this forum. Things to consider as you research are - do you prefer FUT or FUE (largely upto how you wear your hair), from your own eye test who has the best and most LEGITIMATE results and what are your realistic expectations as opposed to your dream results because from what my research suggests there is sometimes a disconnect between these two for a HT patient and this can cause issues post transplant. Enjoy your search bro.

Has your hair loss stabilized? I see the (maybe because of wet hair?) part you have on top of your head and I get a feeling that your hair has begun thinning. I see that you've also discontinued (*not really used) finasteride. It may be worth looking into the organic route of saw palmetto capsules and see how that goes. 

Have you done research on what procedure you're looking to get, FUE v FUT? Do you have any questions, or are you into the locking-the-surgeon-in phase?

If you're thinking of traveling abroad, consider this read: 
Airfare guide

My hair has seem to stabilize. It’s thicker and healthier looking and even filled in the crown and middle of scalp from the use of rogaine. I have very little hair fall these days where as before I couldn’t run my hands threw my hair without having a lot of hair fallout. these pictures are from last year. But I’m to nervous to give the finasteride  a go. I’m more interested in FUT only because it’s cheaper.

Rahal and H&W are definitely producing good results but their pricing is totally insane, that's my opinion.

At half the price I would look into the popular Spanish and Belgian doctors who are producing results as good as the doctors mentioned above but first of all you have to decide whether to go with fut or fue.

Thanks for the response, you answered a few questions I had.

I too liked rogaine (minoxidil) because it helped me style my hair, and my hair felt a bit sturdier, although I didn't experience the hair re-growth some get. 

I see that you mention FUT, and that it is cheaper. It is undoubtedly true that from the same doctor, FUT is the cheaper alternative of the two.  I didn't want to ask, but I assumed that you were willing to travel abroad for the reduced cost. No issues from me, I traveled abroad too. I think there is plenty of value in going abroad to lower cost-of-transplant destinations. 

I have a strength in personal finance and budgeting. 

Before you jump in: Timing could cost you $X,xxx more or less depending on when you travel. Also know the travel costs involved. You have time when it sounds like $ is more of an issue. So be smart with your time to get the most value for your $:

1. Create a list of doctors. (You should) Prioritize the doctors who you see yourself using, and then add them to the list. Usually their websites will list a range. I don't recommend "shopping" docs at this point - asking what they will charge. Build your list first, I'll come back to this point.

2. If you're looking for value, look up the Countries you find the surgeons you wish to hire. Use google flights to explore destinations from your Country's airports (plural) to those country airports. Find the cheapest airport for that country, then find the cheapest time to fly - the month or time of year. You're not booking yet, you're only assembling a cost database for the 2-5 countries abroad you've found reputable doctors for. I can help if you don't understand this.

3. Now that you know what you should pay for the travel, find out what lodging and transport looks like in that country. How long do you plan on staying there? Estimate a per-day rate for each country.

*Personally, I am passionate about this, but I recommend traveling while you're there. Feel free to ignore this, because it is purely an opinion.

4. Now that you know when the best rates for travel are, plan to book a procedure during that time Next year. It will do four things: A. Allow you to save and ensure you can get that travel rate in the future (I can explain on the booking a travel plan theory later). B. Allow you to establish dialog and communication with a clinic where you feel confident in your doc, and set expectations on the procedure, talk about hairlines etc. C. It will Ensure that your doc is available when you want your procedure done and D. Allow you to save up some money/clear off some credit card balance etc. to afford the procedure/ pay off the airfare after you book it.

***I accidentally went back on a page and thought I lost all this written progress at this point. Nearly died. Thank you HRN IT team and whoever implemented this website layout. Jesus Crist I didn't want to re-write that.

5. Now that you have the costs for travel, the narrowed list of surgeons, the open communication with those surgeons, ask the price. Build it into your budget. Travel + expenses while there + HT + Qualitatives (things to do if you travel, idk, but these are "what it's worth to you if all else is equal" among surgeons/total price). Then do your own cost analysis and get the best value. Value = benefits/costs.

Now: I mentioned FUT is cheaper than FUE. Just know that there are benefits to both, but know that there exist good surgeons who perform FUE at a cost which is less than other surgeon's FUT. Geography changes costs.

I can answer any questions you have. 

I do think it will be in your best interest to create a list of say, 20 docs you're at least interested in (who fall somewhat in your budget), then ask for opinions. If you don't do 80%+ of the doc research yourself, I think that you won't really have the confidence in the result, and may experience buyer's remorse. I hesitate to tell you with confidence what may be best for your cosmetic future.

Edited #5 because I got shook from the  *** reason.

Edited by Lennney
Added in #5
  • Like 1

If you're thinking of traveling abroad, consider this read: 
Airfare guide

28 minutes ago, Jhonny said:

Rahal and H&W are definitely producing good results but their pricing is totally insane, that's my opinion.

At half the price I would look into the popular Spanish and Belgian doctors who are producing results as good as the doctors mentioned above but first of all you have to decide whether to go with fut or fue.

Do you have any names of these doctors ? I am interested in cheaper places out of Canada that put out good results. And thanks for the comments guys. It’s a very stressful process.

• Administrators

European surgeons charge in Euros, so it comes out to be about the same. Plus you have to spend on traveling. The most affordable are going to be in Turkey and India. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

View my thread

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

You are in Canada and want FUT.  Just go to Hasson and Wong. It’s $13k for 3k grafts. That is great value- they are world class at FUT. Don’t try to save a few dollars. You will regret it. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

European surgeons charge in Euros, so it comes out to be about the same. Plus you have to spend on traveling. The most affordable are going to be in Turkey and India. 

For FUE, H&W quoted me $9.6AUD per graft whereas Devroye, Lupanzula, Lorenzo from $3.9AUD to $5.3AUD, not quite the same in my case.

Maybe Dr. Wong didn't want me and scared me away 😉

Nah, I’m sure they’d be happy to take you and your $9.6 AUD per graft. 😂

Their FUT prices are considerably lower than FUE though. Pricing is on website, but currently 3k FUT is $13k and FUE is $22k. Their FUT is great value, IMO.

8 minutes ago, Spaceman said:

Nah, I’m sure they’d be happy to take you and your $9.6 AUD per graft. 😂

Their FUT prices are considerably lower than FUE though. Pricing is on website, but currently 3k FUT is $13k and FUE is $22k. Their FUT is great value, IMO.

22K for 3k grafts makes it even more than $9.6AUD x graft ... now I am officially scared ahahhaha

17 minutes ago, Jhonny said:

22K for 3k grafts makes it even more than $9.6AUD x graft ... now I am officially scared ahahhaha

Hey Jhonny why can't you just pay in Canadian dollars? It works out cheaper from what I've seen. I know if you're from the States H&W charge you in USD but surely if you're from this side of the world (Aus, NZ) you would be able to travel over and pay in Canadian.

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Jhonny said:

For FUE, H&W quoted me $9.6AUD per graft whereas Devroye, Lupanzula, Lorenzo from $3.9AUD to $5.3AUD, not quite the same in my case.

Maybe Dr. Wong didn't want me and scared me away 😉

If you live in Australia check out Dr. Path and Dr. Laorwong. Are you open to FUT

View my thread

• Administrators
8 hours ago, Jhonny said:

Check out Dr. Erdogan, Dr. Yaman. 

View my thread