Help please. Bald patch in donor 2 and 1/2 weeks after FUE

Had about 1400 grafts via FUE 2 and 1/2 weeks ago and my roommate made a comment about a bald looking patch in the donor. The is the first time he’s mentioned it and I haven’t looked at my donor until today since the surgery. What’s going on here? It’s not a complete bald patch as you can still see some hair in it. 

Edit* pic deleted to conceal identity.

Edited by NWsteve

Do you have any immediate post op pics of the donor?  If so, please post them,

Assuming that the area wasn’t over harvested, it can be shock loss due to trauma of surgery. If that is the case, it will probably grow back in a few months.

What did the surgeon say about it?

1 hour ago, Spaceman said:

Do you have any immediate post op pics of the donor?  If so, please post them,

Assuming that the area wasn’t over harvested, it can be shock loss due to trauma of surgery. If that is the case, it will probably grow back in a few months.

What did the surgeon say about it?

I will try to get the immediate post op pics. I just realized about it today so I’m going to contact my doctor tomorrow.

14 minutes ago, SM985 said:

I agree with Spaceman. Quite low for a safe donor extraction area. Hopefully just some shock loss 🙏🏻 Keep us posted what the doc says.

Does it look like shock loss? If so, does shock loss grow back normally?

• Moderators
4 hours ago, NWsteve said:

Does it look like shock loss? If so, does shock loss grow back normally?

Yes and Yes

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• Administrators

I would be very surprised if the doctor went that low in the donor area. Looks like Alopecia Areata to me, which is autoimmune condition that causes circular patches of hair loss.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

26 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

I would be very surprised if the doctor went that low in the donor area. Looks like Alopecia Areata to me, which is autoimmune condition that causes circular patches of hair loss.

I’m not so sure mate, it’d be a bit of a coincidence since shock loss usually happens around this time. I agree it’s unlikely extractions we’re done there but as mentioned above it could be the site of the local anaesthetic.

• Moderators
5 hours ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

If you look closely you can see what looks like small dots from the FUE punch.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Melvin, it could be AA or as others have said, shock loss since it was right around the time that shock loss occurs post-op.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY