Recommendations for FUT

Hi all so as the title suggests looking for some recommendations ive been browsing the forum for the past month and have come across a lot of impressive transplants (the odd botched one) to the point its confusing as to who to go with. So I thought id make a post with abit of background info and see if you guys can suggest a couple names that might suit my case!

Im 32 turning 33 at the end of the year and im hoping next year to pull the trigger and get a transplant done. First noticed I was thinning  when I was 25 though its been quite a slow progress and seems to have stabilised these past couple years. Im guessing here but id say im a nw3 with some thinning in the crown atm im only using nizoral and minoxidil though ive got an appointment with my doctor and I plan on giving finasteride a crack.

- I live in Australia I don't mind travelling at all money isn't much of an issue within reason ofcourse but id rather pay for a successful h/t that im happy with than try and save a few dollars. With that said are there any doctors of mention in the Asian region though as that is a shorter flight however ill travel to America if I have to!

- Looking at fut I don't wear my hair ultra short the closest I get it cut is a 5 guard also ive had plastic surgery before so im used to the downtime. My thinking with fut is I want to maximise the harvest and keep the donor zone intact so ideally a surgeon who does nice and clean neatwork.

- In terms of the transplant im wanting to keep it conservative as tempting as it is to go for a youthful hairline I want to keep it mature for any further hair loss tbh I don't know how many grafts I would need. Im hoping to get the hairline filled in where its receded and possibly throw a few grafts in the crown ive heard the crown can be a black hole not looking for a heap of density just something to thicken it up a little. Though im concerned a little with shock loss would finasteride minimise this and does the skill of a surgeon help as well regarding this?

Ill include some pics if that helps and thanks in advance!

55764253_582985825519395_5995516677243011072_n.jpg

55914227_308008626555834_4906291354407010304_n.jpg

56275969_684425008627242_893825807179317248_n.jpg

55752383_264898474457773_3672359379253854208_n.jpg

I went FUT with Hattingen after 2-3 years of research and I am at the 4 month mark but H&W in Canada have a stellar reputation too. However, there are an increasing amount of people complaining they have been pushing patients into FUE once they are already in the surgery room saying they do not have the laxity to do FUT. Strange that this higher proportion of patients with poor laxity have only come become more commonplace since they have started doing the more expensive FUE method. Still, their results are amazing. Dr Feriduni is another excellent choice. I have seen results from Dr Konior that I am impressed with but I did not research North American clinics enough to know if he does FUT, FUE or both.

• Like 1

Trix mentioned three clinics that provide world class FUT. H&W in Canada, Hattingen in Europe and Konior in Chicago are truly excellent options and well worth the long journey from Australia.

Dr Path in Thailand would be much closer to you and does good FUT work at lower cost but I would not put his results at the same level as the others.

Try finasteride first before considering any grafts in the crown. It may be all you need right now.

Regarding H&W and laxity, it’s always been an issue with strip. They recommend that you do scalp laxity exercises ahead of time to help ensure you have enough laxity to meet your goals. In the old days they would simply downsize a strip procedure on the day-of if laxity was insufficient for the planned surgery. Now they can offer FUE instead.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2019 at 7:36 AM, TrixGlendevon said:

I went FUT with Hattingen after 2-3 years of research and I am at the 4 month mark but H&W in Canada have a stellar reputation too. However, there are an increasing amount of people complaining they have been pushing patients into FUE once they are already in the surgery room saying they do not have the laxity to do FUT. Strange that this higher proportion of patients with poor laxity have only come become more commonplace since they have started doing the more expensive FUE method.

I’ve had a lot of experience with H&W over the years and I can hand in heart say that there’s absolutely no way either surgeon would suggest FUE over FUT based solely on their own financial gains. As mentioned in the comment above mine, this is simply a case where in the past the graft count would’ve been lowered to accommodate the lack of laxity with strip (which can only be assessed in person), now as FUE is an option this can be offered instead, but in no way would they do this as a bate and switch and ultimately if the person still wanted strip with a smaller amount (or whatever the laxity dictated) then they’d still do that. On a side note I recently spoke to Dr. Hasson personally about FUE and he commented their transaction rate with FUE is almost zero percent and the results they’ve been getting equal that of their strip surgery.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Back on topic, for me it’s a no brainer as far as strip goes. Over the years other names get mentioned along side H&W, but while those other names will change over the years as they come in and go out of favour, H&W are literally always in everyone’s top 3.

as far as FUE, I think there are a couple of others to throw in the mix with H&W, top of which is probably Lorenzo in Spain

• Administrators
On 4/3/2019 at 11:36 PM, TrixGlendevon said:

I went FUT with Hattingen after 2-3 years of research and I am at the 4 month mark but H&W in Canada have a stellar reputation too. However, there are an increasing amount of people complaining they have been pushing patients into FUE once they are already in the surgery room saying they do not have the laxity to do FUT. Strange that this higher proportion of patients with poor laxity have only come become more commonplace since they have started doing the more expensive FUE method. Still, their results are amazing. Dr Feriduni is another excellent choice. I have seen results from Dr Konior that I am impressed with but I did not research North American clinics enough to know if he does FUT, FUE or both.

This sounds suspicious, where are these sources? I have met with Dr. Wong himself and he specifically suggested FUT. I would take what an anonymous poster says online with a grain of salt.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

This sounds suspicious, where are these sources? I have met with Dr. Wong himself and he specifically suggested FUT. I would take what an anonymous poster says online with a grain of salt.

My thoughts exactly, that’s the first I’ve heard anyone say this and I really can’t see there being the slightest bit of truth in it...

One clinic I have recently seen results from is Feller & Bloxham in New York. 

They have lots of videos on YouTube, and seem really honest about why they do FUT, and the results patients get. 

The level of detail and surgical practices seem to be extremely high level.

• Administrators
13 minutes ago, bonkling said:

One clinic I have recently seen results from is Feller & Bloxham in New York. 

They have lots of videos on YouTube, and seem really honest about why they do FUT, and the results patients get. 

The level of detail and surgical practices seem to be extremely high level.

They are definitely excellent options as well.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

8 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

They are definitely excellent options as well.

I hadn't seem them until recently, but watching how they tackle issues like: safe donor area, scar minimisation, and all the little details some clinics seem to differ on, was really reassuring. 

I've also seen them offer to have past patients meet with you at their clinic, which is a great initiative. 

You may also look into Dr Laorwong, in Bangkok, he does both and results are very good.

Had my second FUE wit him , first one as with Dr Umar in the USA.

Very happy so far hair is growing nicely at 3.5 months. Will post pics at the 4 months mark to update my main thread

On 4/6/2019 at 1:40 AM, Aftermath said:

I’ve had a lot of experience with H&W over the years and I can hand in heart say that there’s absolutely no way either surgeon would suggest FUE over FUT based solely on their own financial gains. As mentioned in the comment above mine, this is simply a case where in the past the graft count would’ve been lowered to accommodate the lack of laxity with strip (which can only be assessed in person), now as FUE is an option this can be offered instead, but in no way would they do this as a bate and switch and ultimately if the person still wanted strip with a smaller amount (or whatever the laxity dictated) then they’d still do that. On a side note I recently spoke to Dr. Hasson personally about FUE and he commented their transaction rate with FUE is almost zero percent and the results they’ve been getting equal that of their strip surgery.

Thanks for clearing this up just had a look at your thread very impressive results will be adding h&w to the shortlist so far these 3 names keep popping up konior, rahal and h&w.

On 4/6/2019 at 11:23 AM, elduterino said:

You may also look into Dr Laorwong, in Bangkok, he does both and results are very good.

Had my second FUE wit him , first one as with Dr Umar in the USA.

Very happy so far hair is growing nicely at 3.5 months. Will post pics at the 4 months mark to update my main thread

Ill be keeping an eye out then Dr Laorwong and Dr Pathomvanich came up in my searches Bangkok is only a 6 hour direct flight which makes it an enticing proposition.

My advice is to stick to the best. I went with a recommended surgeon, I would say easy top 10 worldwide and did not get a good result. The timeframe after after a hair transplant is extremely hard, especially the ugly duckling phase. You will be questioning everything and if something goes wrong especially then it will be extremely hard on you. If you go with a top 3 clinic at least you will have peace of mind, and you won’t spend years regretting not going with H&W to start with

just my opinion man, I am not a H&W patient but am hoping to get them to do a repair on me. The last year or so of my life has been a nightmare, trust me man, I would give anything to go back in time and go to H&W to start with 

14 minutes ago, Upshall said:

My advice is to stick to the best. I went with a recommended surgeon, I would say easy top 10 worldwide and did not get a good result. The timeframe after after a hair transplant is extremely hard, especially the ugly duckling phase. You will be questioning everything and if something goes wrong especially then it will be extremely hard on you. If you go with a top 3 clinic at least you will have peace of mind, and you won’t spend years regretting not going with H&W to start with

just my opinion man, I am not a H&W patient but am hoping to get them to do a repair on me. The last year or so of my life has been a nightmare, trust me man, I would give anything to go back in time and go to H&W to start with 

Yep I second this. I didn’t go with hasson for my first surgery and I regretted it. I went with someone who was supposedly the best in the UK... turns out the UK isn’t too good with HT’s😂

1 hour ago, Upshall said:

I went with a recommended surgeon, I would say easy top 10 worldwide and did not get a good result.

If you don't mind me asking, who did you go with? Or if you don't want to disclose, which country was it done in?

5 hours ago, Upshall said:

^ this, exactly. There are no sure things in hair transplants but a H&W FUT is about as close as it gets.