Microneedling - Potential new growth.

Hi all,

I'm sharing my experience regarding microneedling, as it may help some people out there. 

There was a post by member 'Shifty', who outlined his great growth by using minox, fin, and microneedling. 

I have been on the fin & minox combo for about two years, and it slowed my recession, but didn't halt it. 

I have been using a derma-roller for the past month or so, and have noticed tiny, new hairs sprouting in my frontal region. Some are even some .5 - 1cm from my normal hairline. 

Now, this is definitely no proof of efficacy, as this could be from either of the medications, or a multitude of factors, but this is the first time I have seen new growth in the two years since starting the meds, and the microneedling is the only change to my regimen. 

There are also peer-reviewed, scientific studies that attest to the effectiveness of microneedling, but they are used in conjunction with Minoxidil (topical) 5%.

Just thought I'd share my experience, in case anyone was considering giving it a try, and is currently using minoxidil. 

Cheers!

Edited by bonkling

• Administrators

Do you mind sharing some pictures?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Microneedling works .. it’s a scientific fact . It damages ur scalp just enough to cause ur body to send all the good stuff to ur scalp, so it can heal it self . Giving ur hAir extra blood flow n stuff .. kinda like how PRP works .. I just bought me a dr pen A6 dermapen for $150 ,, it works better than the dermaroller.. I’m trying it this weekend .. n making it a routine .. ( it’s also good for ur face ..ur hair is like ur teeth , u have to keep it healthy . N take care of it .  Or it rot n fall off .  Keep us updated on ur progress .. I’m  going to do it myself , minus the minoxidil .

1 minute ago, Legend007 said:

Microneedling works .. it’s a scientific fact . It damages ur scalp just enough to cause ur body to send all the good stuff to ur scalp, so it can heal it self . Giving ur hAir extra blood flow n stuff .. kinda like how PRP works .. I just bought me a dr pen A6 dermapen for $150 ,, it works better than the dermaroller.. I’m trying it this weekend .. n making it a routine .. ( it’s also good for ur face ..ur hair is like ur teeth , u have to keep it healthy . N take care of it .  Or it rot n fall off .  Keep us updated on ur progress .. I’m  going to do it myself , minus the minoxidil .

Please do keep us updated with your findings! Could you also try to take photos (same lighting and as close to same angle(s) as possible)? I think I understand the principle of the miniature incisions helping minox as well as forcing blood to the area, but it would be great to see controlled results. 

Thanks!

• Haha 1

If you're thinking of traveling abroad, consider this read: 
Airfare guide

I’m just going to do microneedling on my native hair ,, I’m hoping it will improve blood flow n get my hair thicker .. finasteride has been helping with that , so microneedling will give it a boost . I’m a diffuse thinner so thickening my hair is the ideal way to keep them .. minoxidil causes me .dandruff n scalp irritation , making my hair fall out easier .. so I don’t do minoxidil even though I gave it 2 try’s .. it does work though .. when I put it on my temporal points the tiny hairs thicken up .. 

i will probably do a monthly update on microneedling on my temporal points for the community .

26 minutes ago, Melvin-Moderator said:

Do you mind sharing some pictures?

When I'm home I'll share some with my dslr, which will be by the end of this week (currently travelling for work, and my phone is beyond broken). 

17 minutes ago, Legend007 said:

Will do, my friend - look forward to seeing your results!

As of now, I am doing it twice per week, and using Nizoral once per week (I have also been using Nizoral for a very long time, so it's reasonable to assume that new growth isn't a result of this).

Mine is also focused on my temple regions, I will update this post as time goes on.

Edited by bonkling

I’ll be following your dermarolling progress should you post it.

I have tried dermarolling in the past (years ago) without any minoxidil and I definitely saw a few new hairs grow in bald spots on my temples and the hairs grew to be strong mature hairs and are still there to this day so I believe that there is something to the method. 

Good luck! 

What is the size of the microneedle you guys are using? I read the test that's been circling the net for years and if I remember correctly it was an 0.5 dermaroller they used in conjunction with minox that garner the best results, good luck boys!

1.5 mm is typically the recommendation, usually rolling once per week.

Personally I am experimenting with 2 mm to see if that does anything to stimulate additional regrowth in the worst areas. I am going over each area six times in multiple directions. Vertical, horizontal, and diagonal. Minoxidil applied directly after, but do NOT do this last part if you're prone to side effects.

Glad my post helped. I use 1.5  for 2 days a week as noted in the regime in my post.

As an * I also blast my head with extremely cold water 1-2 times a week as well. I will let you all do your own research in that. =)

Link to what I did to grow my hair back without a transplant. 2 year update.