suntanning 7 months post-op

hey guys

I am 7 months post FUE.

today was a beautiful sunny day and for the first time since surgery I decided to lay out. 

I was out for a couple hours.

I applied a solid layer of SPF 30 sunblock on my recipient area.

should be good to go that long after surgery and with sunblock directly on the recipient. yes?

Harry, 

You should be fine after 6 months maturation. It is good that you double checked with your clinic and likely even better than you used some sun protection. In general, most patients should be cautious up until the 6th month and then, of course, take general precautions in the sun after that. 

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

1 hour ago, Dr Blake Bloxham said:

Harry, 

You should be fine after 6 months maturation. It is good that you double checked with your clinic and likely even better than you used some sun protection. In general, most patients should be cautious up until the 6th month and then, of course, take general precautions in the sun after that. 

Dr B

are uva rays as harmful as uvb for grafts?

Just now, PlzRespond said:

Dr B

are uva rays as harmful as uvb for grafts?

Technically UVA rays, while more common and typically less concerning compared to UVB, do penetrate to the deeper layers of skin where the follicles typically rest. They are usually more associated with "photo aging" than they are "sun burn" type damage, but it is an interesting observation/question due to the depth at which they penetrate. Most commercial sunscreens also focus on "blocking" UVB and not really UVA too. I think it is theoretical and somewhat unproven to suggest that UVA would be as harmful as UVB, but those concerned or looking to really "play it safe" in the post-op may want to just wear a hat and completely block the majority of UV rays. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

How long should you wait before using tanning beds? 

I’m 4 month post op and wearing a hat at the moment on tanning beds to stop the rays going on my head even though I have original hair covering it

Just now, nb98 said:

How long should you wait before using tanning beds? 

I’m 4 month post op and wearing a hat at the moment on tanning beds to stop the rays going on my head even though I have original hair covering it

Interestingly enough, tanning beds actually contain a much higher concentration of UVA rays (or some even "exclusively" UVA rays), so very pertinent to the discussion. I always tell my patients to use extra caution in tanning beds. I typically tell them 6 months or so, but even then recommend putting something around the scalp to block out the light. It does not seem like this is a part of the body one would really want to "tan" regardless nor would it really detract from using a tanning bed the same way it might on a beach, so why take the risk? Most guys will use a towel (provided by the salon) to cover up there. 

And, again, double check all of this with your clinic because they may have their own set of instructions regarding the sun and tanning. 

• Like 1

I actually got a bit of a sunburn at the 6 month point, even though I thought I was always in the shade.  I wear my hair longer so I guess that helps a bit.  All I can say is that even if you think you are in the shade you may not be.  I was at a ballgame under a pavilion and still got burned.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More

On 4/2/2019 at 3:48 AM, Dazed said:

I actually got a bit of a sunburn at the 6 month point, even though I thought I was always in the shade.  I wear my hair longer so I guess that helps a bit.  All I can say is that even if you think you are in the shade you may not be.  I was at a ballgame under a pavilion and still got burned.

and? did it affect your hair in any way?

On 4/8/2019 at 3:00 PM, HarryHonolulu said:

and? did it affect your hair in any way?

No, it had no impact, although I won't do that again.

"Imagination frames events unknown in wild fantastic shapes of hideous ruin, and what it fears, creates." Hannah More