Minoxidil foam vs liquid

E39

Comparatively they should both do the same job but I have tried both and I tend to go with the liquid, the foam evaporates in your hair as opposed to making it to your scalp so you need to apply more of it, the liquid is messy and tends to run down the forehead so you need to catch it in time, in terms of brand I stick to rogaine (regaine here in New Zealand).

• Administrators

Liquid and Lipogaine 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

E, 

Good question. Here is what I typically gather from my patients: 

Anecdotally, patients report that the liquid is more effective. However, they also report increased redness, irritation, and dryness of the scalp. They also report that the liquid sometimes "runs" down the scalp. The foam (which does contain fewer of these potential irritants) seems to cause less irritation on the scalp, but people also report it is less effective (I typically hear this from people who switch from liquid to foam). And while they do not report the "running" issue, they do say that they foam sometimes makes styling more difficult. 

I personally believe the liquid is reportedly both more effective and irritating because it makes more contact with the scalp and absorbs better through the skin surface. However, more people seem to like the foam because it is less irritating to the scalp and a little easier to use. And, of course, it is still an effective way to deliver the medication. 

All brands should contain the same amount of the active ingredient (minoxidil 5%). 

Dr. Blake Bloxham is recommended by the Hair Transplant Network.

Hair restoration physician - Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation

Previously "Future_HT_Doc" or "Blake_Bloxham" - forum co-moderator and editorial assistant for the Hair Transplant Network, Hair Restoration Network, Hair Loss Q&A blog, and Hair Loss Learning Center.

Click here to read my previous answers to hair loss and hair restoration questions, editorials, commentaries, and educational articles.

Now practicing hair transplant surgery with Coalition hair restoration physician Dr Alan Feller at our New York practice: Feller and Bloxham Hair Transplantation.

Please note: my advice does not constitute as medical advice. All medical questions and concerns should be addressed by a personal physician.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I was using rogaine foam for years with ok results. I switched to lipogaine and felt like it gave me an edge. Then when perfect hair came out I tried that and couldn’t use it because it gave me a rash. I went back to rogaine foam then that irritated my scalp as well. Tried going back a couple times and always irritatation. I just tried using rogaine liquid and so far so good. My plan is to stay on it as long as I don’t get a rash, and if all goes well try lipogaine again in the future. 

I used Rogaine liquid for a number of years prior to my own surgery and I hated it, greasy horrible sticky stuff, but I think it may well have improved since. Following my own transplant I used the foam version which was completely different, non greasy, less irritable as the good Dr Bloxham has already pointed out and it actually helped style the hair unlike the liquid form which just guaranteed yet another bad hair day!

I think it served its purpose; I did make a conscious effort to massage it into my scalp at the time which is a possible reason why its effectiveness may vary from patient to patient, perhaps its just not being applied properly.

I get quite a few patients who find the liquid form just too irritable, it may be because of the alcohol content so they switch to the foam version with no complaints.

Edited by Shera